“Mixed bag”

Ranked #54 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Mixed bag”
Reviewed 6 May 2009

Generally great... clean, smart, good location but.. generally little niggles.
Firstly the food (especially breakfast) is utterly dire. breakfast is a buffet set up and was cold and generally quite disgusting. You are better off trying to get a discount by getting a room without breakfast. Evening meals meanwhle are overpriced and nothing special, you are better off going out to eat.
Our delux room was extremely comfortable and easily the cleanest place we stayed in India, but had no window and had an annoying dripping tap.
i found the service to be good.
One thing, and I am being pedantic but... laundry is overpriced and then it all comes back with a number written in marker pen on each individual piece that even now, 6 weeks later refuses to come off. It was also late coming back, turned up with extra items that I sent back.. and was promptly charged for anway.

1 Thank Grant_UK
raymondpeterta, General Manager. at Grand Godwin Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your valueable comments on tripadvisor.

On contrary to the statement that "breakfast is utterly dire" we would like to draw your attention towards the other comments posted on tripadvisor where the b/fast set up is full of praises and the meals served on the roof top restaurant are very much liked and highly appreciated. Therefore it could have been stated that the breakfast was not as per your liking or to your expectations.

It has always been our humble request to all our in-house guets to bring up the matter of any sort of inconvenience during their stay to the management so that the matter can be looked into to give you a comfortable stay so that you can go back home happily and fully satisfied because after you leave and then make complaints we feel teribbly helpless.

The laundy issue has been taken very seriously and also necessary steps have been taken to ensure that the service delivered is compatible to the price charged. We sincerely apologise for this inconvenience caused to you and we look forward to serving you and all other guests in a more better way.

Peter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed 2 May 2009

After reading the reviews on tripadvisor, I was a bit hesitant to book this hotel. But it was surprisingly nice, and the staff were very helpful. Our room was clean and modern, as were the lobby and the elevator. We stayed there twice, and both times the hotel arranged taxis to the airport that were reasonably priced and worked well. The restaurant was quite good (for breakfast and dinner), and open 24 hours, which was great because we arrived very late at night. Our room faced the street and was rather noisy, but that's hard to avoid in Delhi.

The hotel is located in the Paharganj section of Delhi, and walking the streets of Pharganj is quite an experience. The sidewalks are very narrow and often covered with street vendors, so it is usually necessary to walk in the street, with heavy traffic consisting of autorickshaws, trucks, cars, motorcycles, cows, bicycles, and pedestrians. We also stayed at the Prem Sagar Guest House in the Connaught Place section of Delhi (and I just posted a review of that property). Connaught Place is much fancier than Paharganj, with wide sidewalks, Western clothing stores, and easy access to the Metro. But the Grand Godwin was a much nicer hotel than Prem Sagar at a significantly lower price, and the Paharganj experience seemed more like the "real India", so I would definitely recommend Grand Godwin over Prem Sagar for anyone who needs a place to stay in Delhi.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
usa
Reviewed 2 May 2009

It the damaging for me when i was arrived in India. I booked the hotel , they inform me your pickup is free at the time booking. But there is no taxi for me at airport in midnight. When I reach the hotel. Guy behind the front desk was sleeping. Next day I book the taxi for Delhi sightseeing hotel book the taxi. He charged very high price to me 50USD. Breakfast quality is very bad. They charge me the room rent also high 1800INR + 22.5 Tax for one day. I check the room rent out side of this hotel was 800INR double and single with breakfast. 50% paid to touts and autoriksha drivers. I can't recommend to any single lady, couple, senior citizen to stay this hotel

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank ananys
London
Reviewed 23 April 2009

Okay, so the hotel lacks a little character, but it is extremely clean and well equipped. However, the overall package is what impresses me the most. The staff are attentive and courteous, and when I had a problem with a scammer who stole my money (a crook that sold dodgy airline tickets) they went out of their way to help me. The General Manager is a saint and even when dealing with this from the UK, he is always there to answer questions and he truly has been doing all he can to help me in this situation. They seem to really care about what tourists think of their country, and have been quite disgusted by the behaviour of this individual. I really cannot speak more highly about this place, and will always recommend it. In an expensive city like Delhi, it also very good value, too.

Aberdeen
Reviewed 22 April 2009

The hotel is conveniently located about 2 minutes by tuktuk from the train station. I chose this hotel because I needed to catch a few train from the Dehli Train Station. The staff arranged airport pickups for us twice, and they were always there waiting for us. they were firendly and attentive. They also arranged a tour and a pick up at the Agra train station, and it was well worth it. The rooms were clean as well as all the bed sheets, and comfortable. The hotel is located on a popular street were there are other hotels. They have room service, internet access for a small fee, and included breakfast. I'd recommend this hotel especially if you are looking for a place next to tre train station.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 19 April 2009

My partner and I stayed at Hotel Grand Godwin just a few nights ago during a holiday in India. The hotel was lovely, very grand and beautifully decorated. We opted for the deluxe (rather than semi-deluxe room) for 2400 rps a night including tax and breakfast. Our room was great - clean, comfortable and cooled with a vert quiet AC system.
The staff were friendly and efficient, booking an airport taxi for us and arranging for breakfast in our room at 4:30 am before our flight! Although the hotel says the breakfast is 'continental' it included much more than croissants and coffee. They had cereal, fruit, an egg station as well as a full range of Indian dishes. At 9:30am, when my partner and I hadn't shown up for breakfast yet, a member of staff came to our room to check we were okay! We had one evening there meal which was also good, a little pricey compared to elsewhere, but tasty. The hotel's location is fab, on a busy street in Parhaganj, about a 3-4 minute walk from the train station and from the main bazaar street. As with most Delhi hotels, it wasn't quiet at night - you could hear people out on the street outside, but it wasn't so bad that you couldn't get to and stay asleep at night. Overall, very impressed.

1 Thank djstorey
Lancashire
Reviewed 18 March 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Grand Godwin at the beginning and end of a three week trip to India. We were really impressed with the hotel it was well located, the rooms were a good size and clean and the breakfast served at the roof top restaurant was particulary good. The hotel is a 10/15 min walk from the main bazar or a 20 rupee cycle rickshaw ride and a 10 mins walk from the train station, an auto rickshaw ride to Connaught Place is approx 50 rupees. We used the hotel taxi service to collect us and take us back to the airport and we found the staff really helpful.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple