“Alka and Alka Annexe are Different”
Review of Hotel Alka Classic

Hotel Alka Classic
Ranked #279 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Bengaluru, India
“Alka and Alka Annexe are Different”
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I like this hotel because it is situated next to Saravana Bhavan Restaurant. You get authentic south Indian food in Saravana Bhavan. Alka Hotel Rooms are smaller in Size, but worht for the money paid. It's in CBD Connaught Place. Closer to Station, Well connected to all modes of transport. Don't get into Alka Annexe, it's not good at all. Renovation is in progress over there.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Zafernoori007, Front Office Manager at Hotel Alka Classic, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear Sebastin Blore ,

Greetings from Alka Hotel New Delhi ””””””””””””””””””””””””””””

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our Hotel.
We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay, and hope to welcome you back again in future.

Thanks & Regards
Zafer Hassan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
New York
Reviewed 21 December 2012

If you read the Lonely Planet guide, you might think this hotel is a fun hotel and a little funky --a bit tacky, but charming. That is what we thought when we tried to get a room here after a long trip back from Jaipur. We entered to find a disinterested receptionist who gave us a key to check out the room ourselves. After walking down a long and dark hallway, we found a man missing most of his teeth (with breath to match the sight) who told us he'd show us the room. It was small and neat, but clean is another story... Upon closer inspection, we noticed suspicious spots on the bedspread and a strange perfume (we can only assume what it was masking). We were tired, didn't want to get back into Delhi traffic, and almost convinced ourselves it would be ok. However, when we went back down to the front desk to check-in, we both couldn't bring ourselves to do it. We ended up finding another hotel in the same general neighborhood that was soooo much better--Apartment 52. It was well worth the extra 500 rupees...

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JulietAlessandra

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Stayed for 4 nights. The room wasn't amazing, there was a window that doesn't open so the room is quite dark. The room was however clean. Breakfast isn't great unless you like boiled eggs every day. Booked the room through Expedia and when I arrived there was no reservation. Never found out if that was the hotels fault or Expedias. When I checked out got presented with a bill for tax as the rate I had paid Expedia was apparently incorrect. Had a flight to catch so after 45 minutes of arguing I gave up and paid the bill or risked missing my flight.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Situated on Connaught Circus, the Hotel Alka is well positioned. My room was small, had no windows and so was dark and a bit drab. However, it was clean and tidy. Service was with a smile and not intrusive. Brekkie wasn't anything to write home about but I also dined at the Alka's vegetarian restaurant one night - food was good as was the service.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I stayed there 4 night, ovrall is average, the location is good, breakfast is ok, others just average including the service, I booked on their websit 4 nights luxious classic room but they give me executive room without any explanation and compensation, before I check in they take me to look at several room non of them are luxious clssic room, maybe there are guest already in I guessed.
airport pick up service thank goodness they remembered, but they forgot meeting me at the railway station in the midnight one day, that cauing a lot of inconvience to me after 1 hour they found a car to pick up me. not recommended strongly just average

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Pozzallo, Italy
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We loved our stay at this lovely hotel, the staff are obliging and cheerful, the lady general manager always happy to help with enquiries and tips about travelling around the city. Loved the Indian food and bar. Rooms were clean, and linen fresh and crisp. No nasty bugs or other inconveniences. Wish my room had some windows to allow some sights of the city. Over all well located in the center of the town and withing walking distance to many places of interest and the railway station. We can recommend this place to all our readers, who wish to stay in the heart of the city.

Room Tip: Speak to the lady general manager Mrs.Kaur, she can do lots of wonderful little things to make your...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank satyanam n
ZaferHasaan, Front Office Manager at Hotel Alka Classic, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Mr. Satyanam

Greetings from Alka Hotel New Delhi :) :)

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our Hotel.

Thanks & Regards
Zafer Hassan
Madras, Oregon
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Let me explain what I have experienced at ALKA *** hotel. I was staying in another hotel at Gourgon and wanted to move to Connaught Place due to the time constraints, and I found this hotel from phone enquiry. I enquired about the rates and they offered me a Double Deluxe Room for my family (2+3) for Rs. 5000 net/per night, including Buffet Breakfast. I checked out from the hotel I was staying and when I reached the Alka front desk to check in they told I have to pay 6000 + taxes. I explained about the telecom conversation and the offer of Rs 5000. The receptionist went inside the office and came back and told me they can give me the Double Deluxe for Net 5500/- but no breakfast. Then she asked me to talk to her supervisor in the office and he agreed to include the Buffet Breakfast for Rs 5500/-. It was late evening, I was travelling out of country two days after and has 3 small kids and their luggage, so I decided not to hunt for another hotel and decided to stay there. I brought my family and luggage in then the receptionist I spoke to came and told me she didn’t tell me anything about the breakfast and I will not get it. I then spoke with the supervisor who agreed to the Rs 5500 price for the room and buffet who told me that he couldn’t honour the Rs 5500 price for room and breakfast. As it was late, I didn’t want to destroy the vacation and trouble myself find a taxi again and load the luggage and hunt again a hotel so I checked in. The room and toilet were neat and clean, they had a combination safe, clean linen and bed and due to the travel we were tired and asleep by 10PM. Shortly after midnight we were awakened by noise from outside. This hotel is located inside a building with many small shops, the hotel itself look like a coffee shop from outside.
Around 2AM I woke up sweating and found the A/C was not working. I called the receptionist and he told me he will check and later informed me that the a/c breaker tripped off. Approximately 30 minutes later the a/c came back on. When we woke up in the morning, I discovered a leaking ceiling attributed to a leaky by the hotel staff. I had to move my luggage to a safe place where rain water couldn’t drip on it from the room ceiling. Toilet room ceiling was also leaking and the rain water was dripping on all over me when I was attending to the nature’s call. I informed the receptionist and she was kind enough to move me to another room (one of the nice thing they did to me). Next day I gave clothing articles to the front desk to iron (only) and went sightseeing. When I came back in the evening they returned my clothes to me, not ironed saying they couldn’t send them to the laundry due to the rain outside. Then I asked for an iron and board to do it by myself and they didn’t have any. I wonder who gave them three star ***?
That night also around 3AM I woke up sweating and found my kids also sweating and struggling to sleep, as the A/C again was not working. After I informed the receptionist, they switched on the A/C and told me the A/C tripped due to an electric short (I am lucky that the hotel didn’t burn due to short circuits). Since it happened both nights, my simple brain tells me that the hotel might have switched off the A/C to save on the electric bill. Next morning I went outside and found the taxi driver who took me the other day for a ride in front of the hotel and asked him if he knew where I can get clothes ironed and he took me to the neighboring laundry shop (5mts walk) and I got it ironed in 15 minutes. The Room boys and the waiters at the Bar Restaurant are very nice and friendly. The Dinner was good.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family