“The most wonderful bed and breakfast in India”

and 1 more site!
Delhi Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #31 of 1,053 New Delhi B&B and Inns
london
“The most wonderful bed and breakfast in India”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2007

I loved my stay at Delhi B&B. The house was beautiful, the rooms clean and comfortable and the food fantastic. (we stayed three times and each went without a hitch)

But overall, I have to say, that the honest and knowledgeable help and advice that I was given from the owner Pervez Hameed could not be surpassed. I am planning to go back to India in October and Pervez is already helping organise my trip.

A one in a million bed and breakfast... not to be missed.

• Liked — the quality of the help and advice
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank k_freemantle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2007

Stand alone: This is not a bad property but my issues are big. They are:

1. The price is totally out of line with what you actually get. There was a price jump apparently in the last couple of months (and this is off-season???) No value. No way. Room is cute and okay. They will charge you for every little thing. There is nothing that goes here without a price.

2. The Owner (Mr. Pervez.) Seems to like pointing you in the direction of things that will cost you more $$. A bit self-righteous and a bit patronizing. Never too far away from a lecture.

The property is in a compound and that's good and you feel safe but it is a long way from anywhere. Get familiar with a map of Delhi before you book because remember it's a sprawl of a city and if you end up in a place like this, it is an effort to get anywhere.

This place receives a 1 rating because there was a bad feeling and a fake hospitality. Every second I spent there, I felt like I was getting frauded. Look at the price for yourself. You need something a bit better.

• Liked — Safe compound
  • Disliked — Obvious that they want your money only. Miles from anywhere.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
10 Thank on_the_lamb
delhibedandbreakfast, Owner of Delhi Bed and Breakfast at Delhi Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 17 July 2007
We are a small b&b. We remember all our guests since inception and take our guests dissatisfaction seriously. In hospitality business, though making everyone happy is impossible even then we aim for 100% satisfaction. A lot of effort goes in to this. We believe that this review is not based on authentic experience.

Nevertheless, we address the points raised:

1: Price Jump in last two months (or couple of months), no value.

Since inception, till about 4 months ago - only one marginal price rise of Rs. 250/- and can be verified from the records we maintain. Reviewer could have confused between the low and high season rates, but high-season rates are yet to apply. We reserve the right to revise price in future. Once we quote, we stick to it.

Furthermore, guest’s interest is today’s price to them. They do not track prices over months like the competition does. Reviewer says “off-season” meaning low traffic. Well not for us. We get a lot of traffic coming to Delhi for medical treatment, going to the mountains, coming for business. We have three rooms, and they get filled up fast.

On Value: We were first to offer free internet (wireless included) , free chai/coffee plus many more initiatives.

2. Inflated prices of services

Each guest gets in advance a list of prices for everything with no compulsions from our side to use them. In India, a cheaper service is always around the corner. We choose comfort over roughing it out which is never cheap. Our business is to provide clean, safe, comfortable rooms. Everything else is optional.

We give one price, no afterthoughts. Our offers are great value when all is considered rather than just being the cheapest. Guests have extended their money using our immense local knowledge, earning us good karma.

3. Mr. Pervez is patronizing, never far from lecture, bad feeling, fake hospitality.

What do we say? Anything we say shall be unbecoming of us. But we say this much. This is untrue. Slander is never easy to defend.

4. Property is in a compound

Factually incorrect: Our home is not in a compound and cannot be mistaken for being in a compound. People use the street in front of our house 24/7.

5. Our Location is far from any where:

The truth: Times mentioned are for car, at day’s busy times. Few people have the concept of Delhi’s largeness. It is not like Rome or Prague, where you can walk everywhere. One requires a vehicle in Delhi.

Humayun’s Tomb: A world Heritage monument, Lotus Temple: 3 to 4 Kms. 10 to 15 minutes.
Qutub Minar: 13 – 15 Kms. 30 – 35 minutes. From Connaught place it is similar time.
Akshardham Temple, Theatres where high quality free concerts happen, Lodhi Gardens, Dilli Haat, Apollo hospital (preferred by medical tourists): 5 – 6 Kms. 15 minutes.
Connaught Place, Embassy area, Old Delhi, Red Fort, New Delhi Railway Station, Old Delhi Railway Station: 10 Kms. 20 - 25 minutes.
Nizamuddin Railway Station, Escorts Heart Hospital: 3 Kms. 8 minutes.
Domestic Airport: 25 – 30 minutes.
International Airport: 35 – 45 minutes.

Most of the major hotels in Delhi are similarly situated. Two big hotels - Manor Hotel and Crowne Plaza are in our neighbourhood. For Delhi, our location is very convenient, allowing for easy access to the most parts of Delhi.

Birmingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2007

We arrived in Delhi and headed for the Delhi Bed and Breakfast. To stay independent we decided to make our own way there and not pay the 8 times more expensive transfer offered by the owner compared to a tuk-tuk.
The family were friendly, the room was nice and clean and the evening meal was really good. Nevertheless, through all friendliness we felt that gaining money was the real motivation for this B&B. This is fair enough, however, we wouldn't expect to be charged extra for breakfast in an establishment that sells itself as a Bed and Breakfast and the transfers from the train station or airport are extortionate.

• Stayed December 2006
12 Thank Susanne-Ryan
delhibedandbreakfast, Owner at Delhi Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 26 June 2007
After the city bus service, Tuk Tuk's are the second cheapest way to travel in Delhi.

Our service offers air-conditioned well maintained cars with English understanding drivers that goes and comes back from the airport. So it is two ways, up and down. The driver waits in the arrival lounge, holding up the name placard, sorts out the exit from the airport and voila, you are safely being driven to our home. It is about 3 to 5 times more than the tuk-tuk depending on how you bargain with the tuk-tuk driver and the time of the day of your tuk-tuk experience.

Hence comparing the tuk tuk price to an air-conditioned car offered by us is perhaps not fair.

Whenever some guests wants to come on their own, we send them our location map to help them.

Furthermore, our guests are free to choose whatever mode of transport they want. We do not force anything on to them. Our location is such, that a tuk tuk (called auto in Delhi) is easily available.

Our price of room includes complimentary breakfast for which guests do not pay. If a guest has an extra breakfast, or wants a breakfast beyond breakfast hours - then is it wrong to charge for it?
Fresno, California, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2007

The Delhi Bed and Breakfast was a wonderful experience for me. I stayed with Pervez and Lubna in their beautiful home in early May 2007. I was a single woman, traveling alone, but did not want the stale atmosphere (or high price) of a hotel. I made my arrangements through email before I left the U.S. When I arrived in Delhi, a driver was waiting, as I had requested. When I arrived at their home, I found that dinner was being served and was offered a meal. Although Pervez offered assistance with sightseeing, I had already made arrangements (again, before I left the U.S.) and I felt no pressure whatsoever from Pervez to use his contacts. As a matter of fact, since there was still daylight when I arrived, he suggested that I go with other folks who were also staying at the B&B in order to share the cost of the car and driver. I thought this was very considerate since we could save money
that way.
I was given a nice room with a private bathroom and my own key The room also had a ceiling fan and air conditioning. Pervez even took special time to make sure that I could lock and unlock the door correctly.
The food was GREAT!! I even took Lubna's cooking class so that I could bring that skill home.
But I think the best part of staying at the B&B is the other guests. You have the chance to sit down over dinner (or any other meal) and discuss your travel adventures, learn about where they are from, and have the opportunity to meet really nice people. There was a nice couple staying there when I arrived. They allowed me to tag along with them to go sightseeing. After they left, some other folks came in and I was able to share my experience of the Taj Mahal with them (since they would be going the next day). This experience is very worthwhile and much better than your average stay at a hotel.
Again, highest recommendations, and I would definitely stay there again should I return to Delhi!

• Liked — Good company, good food, great hosts!
  • Disliked — They don't accept credit cards.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank uclachexican
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2007

I stayed at the Delhi Bed and Breakfast for two nights during my stay in Delhi. The owner and his wife were very welcoming and full of great information. They arranged everything for us from airport pick-ups, to our day in Agra seeing the Taj Mahal. Also, they really talked to us before setting up an itinerary of places to see in Delhi. So instead of just seeing the top tourist places we were able to go to a couple of more off the beaten path places to really be immersed with the locals. The rooms are clean and comfortably furnished. Each room has control of its own a/c so you can adjust the temperature to your liking. Also, if you have time, try to have a dinner at the B&B as the food is wonderful and there is a nice selection of dishes you may not have tried before. Also, the B&B is within walking distance of a nice outdoor promenade area that has a bunch of places to eat. Overall, I would highly recommend this place.

• Liked — The friendliness of the owners
  • Disliked — The water pressure in the shower
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank beachgoinger1
Leicestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2007

You can't go wrong with the Delhi Bed & Breakfast as it really is a home from home. My wife and I stayed with Pervez and Lubna for our few days in Delhi, which was our first couple of days in India. We had a wonderful time.

When you are new to India it is great to have a 'safety net' whilst you get used to the culture and customs, particularly if like us you are new to the country. Pervez and Lubna really make you feel at home
and part of their family.

The accommodation is what you would expect if you stayed at a friends
house. The rooms are well furnished with en-suite bathrooms. Our room
had A/C. The house is in a nice area of Delhi, approximately 20 minutes by car to central Delhi.

You can eat in and Lubna's cooking is wonderful, adjusting the amount
of spice depending upon your individual tastes.

Pervez is able to organise pick ups from the airport as well as a car
and driver to help you see the sights. I have to say that you can organise these yourself elsewhere cheaper (you can hire a car and driver for the day for 800Rs - Pervez charges 1600Rs) but booking through Pervez again does take the hastle out of it, which we were grateful for. After those first few days we were much more confident to go it alone.

If you are looking for a homestay with an Indian family, then look no further.

• Liked — Wonderful welcome, being part of an Indian family for a couple of days, the help they provided in getting to know the customs and culture of the country
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank majorstu
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2007

This is a great place to stay when you first arrive in India. Through the hosts and other travellers staying at the B and B, we found out where to go and what to do and this put us at ease about the rest of our time in India. The owners were extremely accomodating, organising excursions and gave us advice about a range of things. The evening meals were wonderful as was the dinner conversation!

• Liked — the helpfulness of the family
  • Disliked — no outside space for sitting
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple