“Great location but dusty this time”
Review of Ajay Guest House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in New Delhi
Ajay Guest House
Ranked #570 of 777 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Stayed there for the third time. This time (January 2013) they had some repairments in process so it was dusty inside. Location is perfect. Restaurant on ground floor became better than year ago.
Staff was friendly and helpful. No heaters at rooms but additional blankets are for free

Room Tip: Rooms are in different condition - try to take a look several to make choice
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
vijay430, General Manager at Ajay Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2016

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to provide us with your feedback.

As we always strive to meet and hopefully exceed the expectations of our guest, Our Team is keen to receive feedback from our guests so we have been prompt with sharing the contents of your survey with all departments.

However, we are saddened that you were dissatisfied with your stay.
We do hope that you will allow us another opportunity to welcome you and we would be happy to oversee your reservation to ensure you get a room that does exceed your expectations.
We have frequent return guests, thus I assure you that we will make your stay a memorable one.

Best regards,

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Last year I had hope that Ajay Guest House had crawled out of the Pahar Ganj backpacker filth and evolved. And for a brief minute in December 2011, I had hope.

In 2011 the rooms had been renovated, even a cheap single was an okay thing. I shared a double with a friend and she agreed it was decent.

Flip to December 2012, and we are back to the way things were. The staff lingers waiting for you to leave to clean out your room and get it ready for the next person due to the 24 hour check out policy. You check in at 6 pm, you need to check out 24 hours later, or get docked.

Prebooking a room is a difficult thing. I had to have a friend stop by and make a reservation for me, because they wouldn't pick up the phone or respond via email, and when I show up at 3:00 am not wanting to troll the Main Bazar for a room I find out what should be a 600 INR room is now 1000 INR. The only difference is the flat screen TV and it is slightly larger. It smells, and is a cave with no windows. It is the last room in the place. They sold my room to someone else and stuck me with the more "expensive" room, and instead of honoring the previous verbal agreement with my friend, they milked me for 400 extra INR.

I complained the next day, and checked out into another place along the Main Bazar, but remembering last year I decided to give them another chance. After a short trip to Jaipur I got my 600 INR room, was it like the 2011 room? No, It was falling apart and dirty.

It wasn't the flat screen TV I had last year, or the time before...It was a small regular tube style attached to the wall. It functioned. The cable had about two English stations, and the standard Hindi selection. I stayed for four days too tired to find some place else.

The staff hangs out on the different floors just waiting, not doing much unless someone checks out. The front desk has no social skills, and seems just worn down.

I am never going back to Ajay Guest House, spend the extra money and stay someplace nice. There are better places in Pahar Ganj, just because it is mentioned in the guidebook doesn't mean it is a good place.

Room Tip: Don't book this place if you are arriving early in the morning, they might sell your room, and y...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MBHealingJourney

Dear Guest,

I thank you for sparing your valuable time to post a review of us on TripAdvisor.

please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience caused during your stay.
It is feedback from esteemed guests like you that helps us to constantly introspect our systems and procedures and assists us in striving for a better product and service.
We have taken up with the concerned departments and corrective action have been taken.

Reviewed 26 December 2012

i can't believe anybody could write a half decent review of this stinking hovel.it was absolutely filthy,unfortunately,or rather fortunately,i caught sight of the kitchen,it was revolting,fearing for our health we refused to eat there.the room was crawling with cockroaches and the room also stank of sewerage.visitors,do yourselves a favour and avoid this place like the plague!!

Room Tip: rooms in other hotels are a safer bet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank philippa g

Reviewed 18 December 2012

For the price this hotel is pretty good. We didn't have a window but the room was fairly clean and we got some slightly used toiletries. The staff were friendly and there was the excellent Brown Bread Bakery below.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to provide us with your feedback.

However, we are saddened that you were dissatisfied with your stay.

Best regards,

Reviewed 15 December 2012

Nice rooms, nice food but I sat on the sofas in the back and got over 20 bedbug bites inside 5 minutes for my trouble. Its great that food is organic... but I'd rather not be savaged and have a McDonalds.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 December 2012

We decided to splurge on a 1200 Rs room (the only other available room was 600 and looked BAD) and at first we thought we were in heaven- the room was huge, we got wifi passwords (even though we had to pay for them) and were assured there would be hot water.

Then we went to sleep and were woken up by the staff loitering in the area right outside our door. This continued for the next three nights. In the middle of the night, too early in the morning, too late at night- there were always people talking. Once there was a full on argument between the manager and a staff worker steps away from our door before 8AM. It was so loud I had to open my door and ask them to take it somewhere else.

The hot water switches were flipped off without warning- so we thought our hot water didn't work for awhile before we went down to figure it out and waited (forever) for someone to check it out. When they came to "fix" the problem, they never even told us they flipped the switch! We just had to figure it out for ourselves... When we DID have hot water, it only lasted for about three minutes. Better shampoo quickly...

Also cover your toothbrushes- there were a few bug sightings in our bathroom, one being ON my toothbrush one morning...

We ended up staying for a few days because my partner was sick- this was frustrating for me because the wifi never seemed to work well- or it was always ridiculously slow even when I went down to the cafe to use it. When i complained the first time, they said I was the only one having problems. When I went down to complain again, another person was in the middle of complaining and they were telling her that she was the only person having problems. I'm positive they have a couple of routers but hand out passwords (charging everytime) to anyone who wants to use it- slowing EVERYONE down.

For lunch, I had some soup and thought it was too salty, but was ok... When I ordered some curry for dinner, it tasted just like the soup and I realized it was FULL of MSG. It was so strong, I couldn't even finish it. I haven't been able to order a paneer since because the thought of what I had at Ajay makes my stomach turn still.

You'll think this is a great place to stay, and perhaps if you take sleeping pills and don't have anything to do with the incredibly grumpy frontdesk man, rude computer man and you don't eat anything maybe you'll enjoy your stay. Otherwise- go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a room with a window that opens into the community/hallway area (it will be incredibl...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank thiskentuckygirl

Dear Guest,

Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience caused during your stay.

we have taken up with the concerned departments and corrective action have been taken. My team and I look forward to your continued visits and take this opportunity to assure you of our best attention and service at all times.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 31 October 2012

We spent three nights in this guesthouse. Location is quite good, next to the metro and in the backpacker ghetto -Main Bazaar-. Rooms are small but clean and with TV. Internet conection (you have to pay, but it is cheap, very cheap, less than an euro for 12 hours) is quite good. The only problem is the noise at night, so you can have a couple of beers in one of the several bars that you have around before go to bed. I think we come back to this place. They have also a restaurant with indian an international food, but get the indian, you won't eat that pasta! In any case, the restaurant is a very amazing place to check your emails, write your post, etc. Totally recomended.

Room Tip: Not close to the street!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ivan77_12

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay at Our Property and for taking out time for such a authentic review.
We strive to customize the experience of each guests and are delighted that our efforts made your stay memorable.

Our entire team looks forward to welcome you back soon.

Warm Regards