“Horrendous hotel, should be condemned”

Centaur Hotel, IGI Airport
Ranked #639 of 707 Hotels in New Delhi
UK
“Horrendous hotel, should be condemned”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We were dumped here by air India after they messed up our flight which they only told us about after a 3hour wait at the check in desk. We were taken to our room and then we left 5 minutes after and went to the the grand New Delhi hotel 5 minutes away instead which was fantastic. The damp and dirt in the cenatuar is disgusting, it seriously needs to be condemned as is unfit for health reasons. If you have young children or asthma then it is not worth the risk to your health. Spend £80 and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: The grand New Delhi deluxe room is great or the holiday inn or the Raddisson are all 2 minutes away.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hazduppers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Thai first
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago and from reading the more recent reviews, it seems as though nothing has changed. Centaur is by far THE WORST hotel I have ever stayed at. You couldn't even pay me to stay at this hotel again.

I stayed at this hotel as it was the very unfortunate location of a conference I was attending. From checking out the website prior to staying at the Centaur, it looked like an amazing hotel. The website is extremely deceiving and this hotel is not a 5 star hotel, it should be closed down.

The rooms were filthy, mould was growing on all of the hallways and covered the walls in the room. Bugs and mosquitos everywhere (lucky I had my malaria vaccination!). Some fellow conference attendees saw rats in the restaurant area. The 'complimentary' bottled water are unsealed and are refilled by the hotel so beware! The lobby, although it would have been quite grand twenty years ago, and it's main water feature is filled with stagnant smelly water with mosquitos breeding.

Hotel staff were rude and not hospitable. The room swipe key would constantly be faulty so in one day I would be going up and down the lifts to get a new card- that wouldn't work anyway!

From my one week stay in this hell hole I got extremely sick- probably from the lack of hygiene and the mould in the hotel rooms.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank MurriGirl

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Another air india victim who can say he has gone to hell and back. My friend and I were planning on relaxing in Kathmandu after a week of rushing around north india, instead I found myself wanting to die. If you love a Steven King Shining atmosphere you'll love this hotel. The abandoned lobey has a rather musky smell, bats zoom past your head when you're checking in, only one lift works, there are pools of water on floors from the decaying 1960s pipe work, the monstrous builing looks like a toxic bomb site, only half the hotel is lit up and none of the 20+ water features works so you can't take your mind off missing your flight. On the plus site the food isn't bad, the staff are welcoming (probably because the haven't seen anyone in months), the showers are hot and have suitable soaking pressure, the bottle opener on the bathroom wall was a lovely pleasure, the TVs have intresting static colour displays, the six ashtrays in the rooms were quite convenient and the company of other travelers who were drowning there sorrows was splendid. I could not wait to get out of hell and back into the Delhi airport.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank harryisles1
New Delhi
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The state of Air India is visible. Not only from within, but also from outside.

They have a grand entrance. The centaur mono, half beast half man, catches attention. It is high time Air India pulled out of hotel business or tied up with a reputed hotel chain, Taj - for instance.

The staff is an extension of Air India flights. Uninterested in you.

I recommend this hotel if you have a pressing desire to stay with centaurs and mingle with medusas.

Public sector service at its best. But not within acceptable range.

All the best to visitors.

Do it yourself hotel it is.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel. If you have money to burn, go to Radisson.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank VivekMetta
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The only good point with the hotel is its location, rest everything is terrible. You feel like u r on the indian railway's railway station. The rooms have broken furniture. The attendents always wants the tip. The final word is "This hotel stay was terrible".

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Navdeep0560
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I was yet another Air India mishap victim. When i was offered this hotel to pass out my 24 hr delay, i was kinda exhausted and nervous but the one look at the rooms after the 7 minute drive blew me away. The rooms were well serviced and maintained well.The complimentary breakfast and meals were of high standards. It was like a holiday package in disguise and i wont shy away from saying that i was glad that my flight got canceled due to the transfer flight delay. The entire stay was paid for by Air India which shockingly could have been around (7000 Rs. p.p). If offered by the airlines,gladly accept open handed withouts second thoughts.

Room Tip: If traveling with family, better opt for 2 double bed rooms for a comfortable stay.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank rohitdxb
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I arrived at 3am, thanks to Air India messing up my flights - fortunately they were paying. If this hotel hadn't been a taxi ride away from the airport, I would have left and gone back to the airport. I can't believe that some people are saying that this is a good hotel.

I didn't manage to get any sleep at all because I kept my clothes and the light on, so that I could see what was going on. Every time I started to nod off, I could hear the buzzing of a mosquito near my ear but my mosquito repellant was in my hold luggage at the airport. The room was so dirty that I was afraid to open my carry-on bag, lest something should crawl inside.

There was all manner of bugs in the bathroom and the toiletries provided were a joke - the shower gel was not much bigger than a thimble! I tried to turn the over-bath shower on but all that came out was lukewarm, dark-brown water. Then I tried the bath tap - cold water but at least it was colourless. I think that I would have felt cleaner had I not have bothered.

The public areas of the hotel look like they have seen better days - a very, very long time ago. There were wires hanging out of the walls. Arriving in the middle of the night, the place was deserted apart from a nightwatchman and with the dimmed lights, I felt as though I had come to some sort of horror film set. It didn't look much better in daylight.

The only saving grace was the breakfast. Instead of arriving at my final destination at 8am, I was now not due to arrive until 4pm, so reluctantly I partook in the hotel breakfast. After my experience with the room, I was pleasantly surprised. The staff were very welcoming and helpful and the food appeared fresh. There was a choice of fruit, bread and cereals and then some hot local items such as idlis and eggs.

It seems as though Air India use this hotel frequently, as all that I had to do upon check-out was sign a form and the bill was paid. I remember being shocked at the amount - I could have stayed in a Trident for a similar price. Unfortunately, if you are flying via India and end up here, you must get the wrong impression about Indian accommodation. This is absolutely the worst place that I have ever stayed anywhere in the world and it most definitely isn't reflective of the rest of India. I've only given it a one-star because that is the minimum that I am allowed to give.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all costs.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo