“perfectly adequate”

Hotel Tara Palace Chandni Chowk
Ranked #85 of 728 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We satyed at Tara Palace , Old Delhi for two nights at the beginning of a tour of north India and I have to admit that having seen the approach and entry I was very pleasently surprised. Firstly we had arranged a pick up from the airport with the hotel at some ungodly hour and there they were to meet us, we awoke late the next morning to find breakfast over but that was no problem and they catered for us none the less. The room was perfectly adequate , a good size , clean , ensuite with hot water and AC. In the late afternoon we took to the roof terrace and were happily served cold beers, the only thing I would say is that the terrace is not a dedicated seating area sharing the area with washing lines and kitchen , I feel more could be made of this as the views and potential are good. At the end of the day the hotel was good , clean, safe, value for money and well located with helpful staff.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 April 2012

I stayed here in Feb this year. It was my first time in India and it was a great place to stay. The hotel organised a pick up from the airport and let me know of possible scams 'fake' drivers might try to pull on me. None of them eventuated but it was good to be in the know and on the look out! The hotel was clean as was my room. I only stayed one night and found the location was great for a walk around to discover a small part of Delhi. Only negative for me was people coming in late at night a speakin/shouting at the top of their lungs! The floors are all tiled so the sound really travels. I'd stay here again, though - maybe with some ear plugs at the ready!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I booked the room for my night transit, the main reason is they offer airport pickup. The pickup guy and driver are good, car was a bit old and cramp. The hotel is nothing fancy but fairly clean room and toilet but hot water is not running in late night. Breakfast provided but average. Consider the room rate of 2000rs. I feel overpriced but now many same kind and level of accommodation here seem to raise to price altogether. The subway is not so close but with rickshaw ride, it is ok. Wifi is offer in lobby (old PC also there), signal is too weak to go up through 2nd floor.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Nothing fancy but a good hotel in a great location if you you want to stay near Chandni Chowk and the Red Fort. Clean rooms, friendly staff, great resturant with a good waiter. We arrived on the 24th of February and stayed 3 nights. Recommend this hotel. Would stay again. We also used the travel service and booked a car and driver for 3 days. The service and driver was great. We were booked into good hotels and the driver, Jai, was very knowledgable and spoke good english. Hotel exchanged currency and gave a good rate.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony. Take ear plugs because the street can be noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kay H
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Tara Hotel is OK, the room is basic but there's wifi (at the small lobby only) with friendly staff and includes breakfast for affordable price. The problem is the area - Yes, it's close to the fort and Jama mosque and Chandi Chowk bazaar itself is definitely worth visiting, but not the best area to stay... It's the most chaotic part of Delhi with so many beggars and traders who will try to grab you every second you walk out of hotel and some men try to touch me as I"m a solo woman. It's my 3rd time in India and I previously lived in Mumbai but I didn't dare to go out at night and checked out in one day. If you have only one day in Delhi, maybe yes for quick tour, but if not, there're so many nicer and safer areas....

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank SuyoungKim
Reviewed 16 March 2012

The hotel was clean and the staff very helpful. The included airport transfer was there waiting which after a very long journey was a relief. The restaurant although basic in design served a very nice meal. The waiter suggested we change our choice as what we had chosen would have been several dishes much the same. It was a very tasty meal. The general area outside is "the true India" If you have not been to India before or stayed in more up market places you may find it a shock. We enjoyed it seeing bullock carts and scooters, cars and large volumes of people. We even saw 6 men carrying a body in a shroud, presumably on its way to cremation. If you want to experience the true India and a very reasonable price, this is the place to go.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2012

A perfect place to stay to explore Old Delhi markets and closeby sightseeing spots. There is a metro and Old Delhi railway station just a short walk from the hotel. Staff was extremely helpful, either booking an airport transfer, changing a room according to needs or bringing cold beer to our room when restaurant was just closed. Room was clean and neat. There is free wi-fi, but just near reception area. Breakfast provided was enough and nicely served.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends