“They actually care. Brilliant location for people actually wanting to see india.”

Hotel Tara Palace Chandni Chowk
Ranked #81 of 708 Hotels in New Delhi
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2011

I chose this hotel because of the following :
1.Price. Compared to most hotels in its class, it is reasonable.
2.Great previous reviews
3.It`s proximity to Major delhi Landmarks.

You have to remember that this is budget accomodation, not the hilton, but what you get for your money is brilliant. The rooms are super clean and airconditioned. Not very big, but then again, if your spending most of the day travelling, then all you need is a comfortable, safe place to end up sleeping.

The bathroom is again spotless. A shower, a toilet, a basin. Basic, yet very clean, with clean towels, and toilitries/toilet paper provided.

The hotel`s most amazing feature, is its location. I`ve read about some of the reviews, where people complained regarding the hotel being in the middle of a dodgy neighbourhood, I cannot agree. It is situated in Old Delhi, so the surroundings are perhaps a big jump from what people from other countries are used to. Old buildings and very narrow streets. But the upside to the location is the fact that a lot of the best things to see in Delhi, are almost at your very door step.

The red fort (which I shall review next) along with the Juma (Friday) mosque, is within walking distance (The fort being about 10 minutes away, and the mosque - to one of its main entrances, about the same). Even walking up and down some of the many market streets that criss cross the length of the area surrounding the hotel, are worth just walking about in.

One of the best things about the area is that there are very few people who will accost you, trying to sell you something, or beg for money etc, something that happens all the time in most other parts where you mix india and tourists.

Regarding the free airport pick up, I had written to them in advance, but sent them the wrong arrival dates, and so there was obviously no one to pick me up. But after a very quick call to the hotel, I sorted out a taxi from the airport, and I was even refunded the taxi amount. There are pre-paid taxi`s available at the airport (you walk up to the man in a booth, he sorts out your payment, gives you a receipt, you walk out to the taxi stand at the airport, and they sort you out) are a cheap and safe option.

I also ended up at the attached travel agent, running about 5 feet from the hotel (ask the reception and they`ll point you in the right direction). The gentleman sorted me out an entire itnierary, with a driver, hotels, the entire package. I know enough about costs in india, to tell you that it was a decent price, and each hotel I went to was clean, comfortable, and safe.

To end, I have a little bit of personal insight. Because I can speak the language, I was listening to a call made by a guest to reception, regarding their tv cable collection. What happened next was, reception, and I guess someone in management, actually spent the next 20 minutes running around, making calls, and really wanting to solve this problem (which wasnt major) as quickly as they could.

They treated both the guest, and his not so clear picture quality, as being something to get very fussed about. In a usual indian hotel setting, of this price range, they would not have bothered.

The next time Im in Delhi, and on that sort of a budget, I`ll stay here, no problems.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank Asaad27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
berlin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2011

Right in the heart of chaotic Old Delhi the hotel is a real haven and a great place to return to after a day in Old Delhi. The amenities are basic but very adequate - the rooms are very clean, the beds extremely comfortable and the Indian breakfast a great way to start the day. It represents great value in a city where hotels can be very expensive. Best of all are the staff who are genuinely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Lydbrook, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2011

A good place to stay to experience the old city. firendly, helpful staff, very good rooms, clean efficient bathrooms, reasonable restaurant.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2011

This hotel is located in old delhi which is not the best area of delhi but it has all the historical sights in walking distance (red fort, grand mosque, red temple, chandni chowk).
To get to hotel you have to walk through an alley way but once inside the hotel is good.
To summarise in a short sentence; the hotel is value for money, the rooms and bathroom ate clean and tidy and importantly the service is excellent.

• Stayed December 2010
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

On the start of our 6 weeks in India, we were looking for a clean, welcoming hotel in the midst of the action of Chandni Chowk, which is what Tara offered to us.
Arriving at 03h00 we were jetlagged, tired and hungry. Great greeting and their 24 hr room service was more than welcomed. Although located in Chandni Chowk next to the bicycle market, the hotel is in off the main road and this makes it a quiet place, which one needs to rest from the bubbling action nearby. Confortable bed, hot water and good food. Close to the metro station and all the important landmarks of the chowk. The personnel was most helpful and pleasant. Will stay again on our next passage in Delhi.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2010

My room was extremely cold, despite the space heater I was given. And I was woken by an incredibly loud engine sound from the floor above. Also to be noted, this hotel is located in quite a sad slum which is Old Delhi, which I could handle but did not enjoy. The hotel did not have the room which I had reserved online for my first night. My second and third nights were better, in a front facing room with balcony, which was also warmer. I was also annoyed by room service which, when i ordered cold milk, brought me a glass with pieces of onion floating in it.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
tarapalace, Manager at Hotel Tara Palace Chandni Chowk, responded to this review, 29 December 2010
Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing us.

My apologies for the inconvenience caused to you form our side. We regret it that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. We will try our best to correct our mistakes.

I hope you will forgive us and give a second chance to serve you.

Best regards,

Pawan Bindal
Manager
Hotel Tara Palace
Newport, Rhode Island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2010

I paid 70.00 a night for three people for our first two nights in Delhi. Had we stayed somewhere else first or felt we could have gotten our money back I would not have stayed at this hotel. For me the location was bad due to the neighborhood. As we approached the hotel (the taxi driver could not take us all the way because it is down a narrow dark alley) I was hoping we could just keep going and maybe get back into a nicer area of town. The second night that our driver dropped us off it was clear he was concerned for us (three women). I was traveling with my daughter who was just finishing her 4 month stay in India and she said she had stayed in several hotels of similar quality for $30.00 a night or less. I do not recommend this hotel

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing us.

Tara Palace is located in Chandni Chowk the cultural center of Delhi which is a very important tourist attraction and thus one of the safest areas of Delhi. Tara Palace is surrounded by historical monuments and major shopping markets.
The alley which leads to the hotel is not more than 20m long and is very well protected by our security guard.
I can very confidently say Tara Palace is a very safe hotel located in a very safe locality.

We try our very best to provide our customers excellent service and holiday experience.

Best regards,