“A real find - if you don't need internet connectivity”

Hotel Palace Heights
Ranked #36 of 777 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I agree with all the positive things reviewers say about this hotel. Rooms are not big, but are definitely big enough. I specifically requested a room with a window facing outward, so I wasn't facing a wall. There is a small desk, lots of electrical outlets to charge things (computer, phone, camera), and good light - which is not always the case. Attentive service, clean, good bathroom (nice shower, good hot water, lots of 'amenties'). Hotel gives you cookies, bottled water, breakfast (made to order and good... best hotel coffee I may ever have had). So all this is good. The main problem I had - probably not relevant to most tourists wanting to be in this central location in the city - is that my laptop wouldn't connect to their internet, which in any case was down frequently due to construction work outside (heavy equipment kept cutting their cable, apparently). They kindly offer a laptop, but it is actually a virus-infected netbook and very difficult to use. (I would feel better if they had provided a decent lap top even if it wasn't mine.) So when I absolutely had to have it, I used the internet service at the nearby high-end Park Hotel, which was fine. I hate to dis this hotel. All the staff went out of their way to be helpful. And aside from this issue, I agree with the positive things people have to say, and I would recommend this hotel, but perhaps not (till they get their internet service sorted out) for a business traveler who depends on having internet access.

Room Tip: If you are clausrophobic, ask for a room with a window facing out to the street. Some rooms face a b...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Bea409

Reviewed 6 November 2011

After arriving on a very long international flight and seeing the front door of the hotel, I thought What have I done! The hotel is in a side street of Connaught Place, just off the inner circle. The doorway is basically an elevator to the second floor. However once, I got out the elevator, the reception was nice and clean and did not reflect the first impressions. Check in was efficient and they showed us to our room. We were is 201, it was tiny. With 2 suitcases there basically was no where to put the suitcase as the room was so small. The bed was a king size bed, but the room should really have had a standard double in it so that at least there would have been some space. The bathroom was clean and working. Our friends arrived later that evening and they had 205. Their room was quite a bit larger and I would say it was what I was expecting from the brochure, not the small room we had. The hot water was an issue. The shower kept going cold and then very hot if you shower in the morning. In the afternoon it seemed better because other people were not using it.

We returned to the hotel a week later and got 203 and 206. Both rooms are larger and the front desk even said they had given us larger rooms. We had the same issue with the hot water constantly changing up and down making it near impossible to shower.

We could hear the cinema behind the hotel, however it did not go on all night and did not affect our sleep.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank CheapEnglishman
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We stayed here for two nights at the beginning of our trip and two nights at the end of our trip to India. Located in Connaught Square, you cannot ask for a better location especially if you want to go out strolling during the day or at night. It is in the very central part of New Delhi and so you cannot have a better location. However, despite the kind staff, the rooms are very small and difficult to get around if you have more than one bag with you. There are no windows and so that is also a draw back. There was also no internet access as advertised as they are in the midst of a construction project putting in the a new metro link through Connaught Square and they kept cutting the telephone lines. In the end they allowed us to use a staff members USB modem stick but none the less it was very inconvenient not to have access to the internet. The breakfast was buffet style and was very complete. We ate dinner there one night and that was equally good. There is no lobby to speak of so you are either in your room or out on the street. But again, location, location and location. I agree with another reviewer about becoming a hotel snob. My wife had stayed at the Shangri La in February, a full service hotel but outside central Delhi. All in all, it was fine and the noise level at night was low. The AC works very well but clanked with it turns off and on.

Room Tip: Get a bigger room that 206!, the ACs have very large vents along the entire length of the room and p...
Reviewed 3 November 2011

We stayed at this hotel for two nights at the start of our holiday in India and one night at the end. It is a small hotel on the second floor over a bank and some shops about 100m down a side street from Connaught Square. The entrance is small and the metro works detract a little from the outlook.
The rooms are small but are modern and very well equipped. There are no views from the rooms as they overlook brick walls and air conditioning units! The breakfast was basic but well presented. Dinner was excellent but was not cheap. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We felt comfortable and safe here and were at ease walking around Connaught Square.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

So here's a hotel that is right smack in the best shopping area of New Delhi, is very clean, small and personal, a very good restaurant, very clean rooms. And I was disappointed - and that's when I realized I had become a hotel snob. There wasn't the grand entry like the Jai Mahal Palace in Jaipur, the large suite-like room like the Oberoi Amarvillas in Agra, or the massages like at the Grand Hyatt Mumbai. But so what - we're here to see Delhi, right? And this hotel fits the bill perfectly. You are greeted warmly, shown to your room, provided help with tours, and you can eat absolutely excellent food. And it's a fantastic value for the price. I would definitely go back, and I'm evaluating whether I really need all that other fluffy stuff I've come to expect - and am now a bit ashamed of.

Room Tip: Rooms are small and very functional.
1  Thank LeanCEO
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We stayed for 3 nights and had a good time. The room is very clean and the location of this hotel is great. The price is fair! We booked our 5 days travel from Delhi_Jaipur-Agra via Perfect Holiday Travels with Mr. Javed and we liked it very much...as Mr. Jasved said, it might not be the cheapest place to book, but you can get a good and trustful service.If interested: javedbaba2005@yahoo.com

Reviewed 8 October 2011

My Mum and I stayed here for one night, and then my sister joined us on the second night. We booked this hotel after reading about it on Trip Advisor and would say the reviews are fair.

When the car pulled up outside, I was a little apprehensive because in order to get to the front door, you had to walk over a plank of wood and a lot of rubble...but hey, this is India, and construction is always happening!

Once inside though, we took a lift to the second floor where you are greeted with a clean, airy reception. All contact that we had with the front desk was efficient and friendly. We were checked immediately into our room which although small was clean and had a good safe. There was no view worth looking at but the bed was comfy. I also need to add that as we had booked in advance, I requested that my adult sister would be joining us the next day so a bed would be needed. This was arranged without any intervention from us, which was helpful.

The location of the hotel is perfect for all of the key sights that people travel to Delhi for. Be aware that if you try and book a taxi through the hotel, they will try and make you book for either 4 hours or 8 hours but when we requested we only wanted one for 2 hours, they did arrange this for us, just make sure you confirm the price. The cab company they use were friendly and helpful without being too pushy!

My mum and I had dinner in the restaurant on the first night. Although we were eating along with only one other table, the staff were attentive but left you alone which was nice. They were friendly and helpful about the menu and the food was delicious. We also had breakfast included in our hotel deal and this was also good...the usual fare of Indian brekkie or Continental stuff.

The only downside of this hotel was the fact that for both nights we stayed, loud music generally played for a few hours, which did wake us up despite being very tired. We could not work out from where as it sounded as if it was coming from a club but the hotel is surrounded by shops...odd! Oh and despite wifi being free, we were told it was not available due to the construction. Not a surprise but a bit disappointing.

When we checked out, we were given a clear bill detailing all the costs and check out was smooth. We organised airport transfers to and from this hotel and these ran smoothly.

All in all for how many hotels there must be in a place as big as Delhi, this is a good find and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family