“Best hotel in Delhi!!!!”
Review of Shanti Home

Shanti Home
Ranked #4 of 713 Hotels in New Delhi
Armstong, B.C.
“Best hotel in Delhi!!!!”
Reviewed 30 November 2008

I spent 5 weeks in total traveling throughout different parts of India and this by far was the best hotel I had stayed at. I was so impressed by this hotel I forfeited an already pre paid two night stay at a Karol Bagh hotel at the other end of town so I could end my India adventure with Shanti Home.

I had never been to India before, I was a single female traveling alone from Canada, and after 30 hours of traveling from my hometown I wanted to check into a clean quiet hotel that was safe, with great staff, for a great price, and Shanti Home did not disappoint, it exceeded my expectations!

The staff is what makes this hotel the best hotel I have ever stayed at in my entire life! Without the staff this hotel would just be like any other hotel. They make you feel like you are part of the family. I had read that previously in other reviews and I didn’t really believe it until I experience it. They are extremely friendly, courteous, always smiling and truly have the willingness to please you from their hearts expecting nothing in return. Whatever you need just ask. If it is possible, they will make it happen. They were always well presented with clean uniforms, clean shaven and well kept hairstyles.

Pooja the front desk manager was an absolute angel!!! Shanti Home could not employ a better front desk manager. She gives right from the heart, is very knowledgeable about Delhi, perfect English, very professional, and truly wants you to have the best stay possible. She helped me plan a day in Delhi by giving me suggestions on what to see and do and gave me a detailed map of downtown. She was always happy to arrange hotel taxi’s for me, direct me to great local shopping or guide me to the local metro station which is just a short walk from the hotel. She is the BEST!!!

The chef of the Lantern restaurant will tantalize your tastebuds with his creations. He is also eager to please, has a great way of whipping up dishes for you when you are hungry whether it be lunch, dinner, or very late at night. MMMMMM good, that is what I say about Adil.

Working closely with Adil is Anand, the food and beverage manager. Anand is very friendly, happy to inform you about what wine is in stock, very knowledgeable, efficient, and always smiling. He makes your dinning experience and outstanding one!

Rajesh and Ram were fine young gentlemen that were always there to bring you anything you needed. If you can persuade him, Rajesh has an amazing singing voice. Ram was always there in the mornings to serve breakfast with a smile. I loved chatting with both or them, very nice gents!

Suresh and Tul were also committed to making your stay as pleasant as possible. Tul was always so accommodating, always with a beautiful smile and gentle manner.

If you needed anything after hours or very early in the morning, Dinesh was the man you needed to talk to. He is happy to fulfill your needs if you wake up in the middle of the night and needed something. He was always just a phone call away.

I booked my reservation directly through the hotel by e-mail. My e-mail questions were always answered within 24 hours by the owner Rajat. Another reason I booked with Shanti Home was it was one of the only hotels I found online that didn’t require a credit card payment either a deposit or full payment when you made your reservation.

I recommend to have them arrange an airport pick up. I have to say that it is a bit more than you would pay for a taxi from the airport but it is such a nice feeling to know that someone would be waiting for you at the arrival hall after such a long flight. Sanjay was waiting for me exactly where they said he would be with a very clear sign identifying the hotel and my name in full in large print. He was in contact with the hotel letting them know that I had arrived and we were on our way to the hotel. Also when you use their taxi service the drivers never have a problem finding the hotel. Every time I took a tuk tuk or taxi on my own the driver always had a bit of a problem finding the hotel. When you do venture out on your own ask the lovely Pooja to send you out with a small location map of the hotel so you can give it to the taxi or tuk tuk driver so they don’t get lost when bringing you back.

From the moment i pulled into the driveway at Shanti Home the service was unbelievable. Five star hotels I have stayed at did not have the level staff and service that Shanti Home did. Staff took my bags, led me to the front desk and did so all with a smile. When I tried to tip them they politely refused my tip. I later found out that there is no tipping directly to the staff. There are clay ducks around the hotel that at anytime during your stay you may tip into them. Each month they break open the ducks and the tips are split among the staff. It was very nice because as I later found out staff are like sharks for your tip throughout India.

I was greeted by the wonderfully warm, friendly, and beautiful Pooja at the front desk with a glass of fresh juice and a flower lei. Check in was wonderful, she took care of everything. My baggage was already in my room by the time I had completed check in. When I went into my room the A/C was already on for me and the room cool, which was so nice because it was HOT in Delhi.

The rooms were beautifully decorated in very pleasing colours with an eye for detail, style, and design. The beds were super comfy, the sheets always very clean and white, great pillows, and an inviting duvet. The cleanliness of the room was immaculate!!! Each room came with a safe.

There was 24 hour free wifi that was accessible anywhere in the hotel. It was not working one day when I was there and when I brought it to their attention they had their tech guy there within the hour fixing the problem. Shanti Home has a great media room fully stocked with movies both Bollywood and Hollywood. There are a number of English channels on the huge flat screen tv along with a few English movie channels like HBO.

I never had a bad meal at the rooftop restaurant Lantern and the prices were reasonable. The staff there were as friendly here as anywhere in the hotel. Breakfast had many choices from freshly made omelets to tea and toast. I always had the fruit plate which was always fresh and wonderful. The marvelous chef Adil truly works his culinary magic and skill in the kitchen and was happy to accommodate any personal changes you would like to make to the dishes on the menu. He always came out and greeted you with his dazzling beautiful smile and soft spoken manner to make sure that once you had started your meal that everything was to your liking. It always was. Try the ross gollah with a scoop of ice cream, it was outstanding! Anything from the tandoori will knock your socks off! I didn’t have better tandoori anywhere else in my time in India as good as the Lantern tandoori. The tandoori doesn’t open until 7pm so plan accordingly. Also, if you wish to have your meal anywhere else in the hotel as opposed to the rooftop just let them know and they will be happy to bring it to you at anytime of the day or night.

There is no other choice of hotels for me when I return to Delhi. It will be Shanti Home. Do not hesitate to book this hotel for your stay, you will not be disappointed.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Slight traffic noise.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
4 Thank Brandi B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland NZ
Reviewed 30 November 2008

I have just returned from two nights in Delhi where I stayed at Shanti home. From the airport pick up service to my very early morning departure nothing was too much trouble. The staff were, without exception, friendly and helpful. The place is charming and spotless, with modern amenities. The small outside restaurant and bar on the top floor looks out over the city. There was a problem with the wireless on my floor, which they fixed, although it was in the early hours of the morning. They even printed a 20 page conference paper free of charge.

• Liked — Quality, style, friendliness and located near airport
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank Kiwiacademic
Hong Kong
Reviewed 30 November 2008

As this was our first trip to India, and given the very positive reviews on Trip Advisor, we decided to stay overnight at Shanti Home in New Delhi. We were not disappointed. Arrangements were easily made with the owner, Rajat, over the internet. We were met at the airport and driven to the property where we received a traditional Indian welcome. Our room was clean and very comfortable. However, the highlight of our stay was the food prepared by the hotel’s executive chef, Adil, at the property’s restaurant. Overseen by the restaurant manager, Anand, both the service and food were outstanding. Given that our train departed late in the evening the next day, the hotel let us use their spa facilities to freshen up at no extra cost. Prior to departing we had another excellent dinner at the restaurant. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GabandMike
London
Reviewed 30 November 2008

The Shanti home is a fantastic place to stay in Delhi - I can't recommend it highly enough. I only stayed for a very brief one night while in transit through Delhi, but from start to finish everything was perfect.

Firstly our flight was delayed, then I was further delayed by a lost bag, turning up 2 hours late at the airport to find my driver still there!

The hotel is located around 20 minutes drive from the airport, and is situated in a secluded area of town, around 25 minutes away from the centre by tube, but the tube is very safe and 100% better than the London underground!

The lady on the reception recommended a restaurant called Punjabi by nature (http://www.punjabibynature.in/) and it was fantastic - probably the best Indian food I have ever tasted (and I'm originally from Bradford). She could have pushed her own restaurant but didn't, even though it looked lovely as well.

I had to check out at 3.00am, and I got delivered breakfast and got a wakeup call which I was very impressed with. There is free internet and lots of books to read, as well as chess boards. There is a massage available for 2 hours for around £15 which looked excellent value - unfortunately I didn't have time.

Fantastic hotel, deserves all the good reviews it has got.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank andrewsco
Midlands
Reviewed 29 November 2008

A warm welcome awaits you at this charming hotel. It is like reaching an oasis of calm as soon as you walk through the door. Our group of 6 stayed here at the beginning and end of our holiday which began with a pep talk from Rajat (the hotel owner) on how to stay well in India. His tips: 1) Bottled water only (check the seal). 2) No cut fruit or salad, as it will have been washed in unbottled water. 3) No roadside food no matter how tempting it looks! 2) is a bit tricky to stick to at all times - we assumed the cut fruit at the Shanti Home breakfast was OK to eat and were fine.

The hotel location is a residential area which is quite far out so it's worth being picked up by the hotel taxi whose driver knows where it is. Rooms are very comfortable with the best ones being at the back away from the noise of the busy road nearby. It's a short walk away from the metro which is cheap and easy to use. It costs 15 INR and takes about 25 mins to get into the city centre. Internet access is free and the lift takes you to the floor below the roof top restaurant with steps up the remainder, but for an older person these are not steep.

At the Shanti Home we found every member of staff to be friendly especially the lady on reception who helped us with info on a number of things. Nothing seemed too much trouble, not even laying on breakfast at 5am so that we could eat before catching an early train. On our last evening we'd had enough of hot and spicy food after 2 weeks of travelling and so the chef and his team (see photo) at his suggestion prepared us an entire 4 course meal with just the curry spices but no chilli. It was delicious. The restaurant staff were also extremely good sports and acted as judges of which of us had best mastered the Indian head waggle that means 'Yes' as opposed to the other type of waggle that means 'No'!

• Liked — Friendly staff, comfortable communal areas, excellent restaurant
  • Disliked — not close to city centre
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank Ruby009
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 27 November 2008

I was lucky enough to spend my first few days in India at the Shanti Home. The rooms were immaculate, the staff was courteous, and the food was excellent. This is definitely the best place I had stayed in during my journey through India and would definitely recommend this place to any/everyone traveling through New Delhi.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Traffic
  • Stayed July 2008
4 Thank R D
London, UK
Reviewed 19 November 2008

This was the best place that we stayed in during our two week trip to India.
The service is great, the whole place is spotless and has been designed with a lot of attention to detail.
At the end of the stay they even helped us to find some other good accomodation.
I would recommed staying here even if you do have to pay a little bit more, it is worth it. The food is also very nice and is on par with a 5* hotel.
The only bad point was that they forgot to call us for a wakeup call on both nights and the air conditioning unit could be heard from the bedroom. Compared to other places it was very quiet though (I am a very light sleeper).

• Liked — Helpful staff
  • Disliked — Noisy air conditioning
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple