“Great stay, great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Shanti Home

Shanti Home
Ranked #4 of 708 Hotels in New Delhi
Singapore, Singapore
“Great stay, great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2009

I stayed at Shanti Home twice during a recent trip to India while transiting through Delhi. On both visits I was extremely satisfied with all aspects of my stay and felt that I had received excellent value for money. The rooms are a good size and spotlessly clean - but it's the service were Shanti Home truely excels . On the first visit I arrived in the wee hours of the morning and enjoyed a super-quick and friendly check-in. As I slept in, the cook was only too happy to accomodate a very late breakfast, way beyond the normal breakfast hours and at no extra cost. As it was Christmas Day the owners hosted an evening Christmas Party for all guests on the lovely roof top terrace, and even got a charming elder gentleman to play the guitare and softly singing Xmas carols. Very thoughtful, and everybody also received a goodie bag gift with some Ayurveda body and face products! On my second visit I booked a three-day, two-night package that included a transfer, a day sightseeing in Delhi and a day trip to Agra. My train arrived 4 hours late and still the driver was there as agreed to meet me and I received complimentary early morning check-in that allowed me to freshen up before my day's sightseeing in Delhi and made a huge difference to the day. Leaving for Agra the next day made a very early start neccesary. I got a wake-up call at 4.00 am and a piping hot breakfast served at 4.45 am on the dot by a most friendly member of the staff - just as I had arranged the night before. I was amazed that they could serve a great breakfast at this unusual hour, and even more pleased that no extra charge was levied for the room service. Coming back late but hungry from Agra, the chef rustled up an amazing dinner after we discussed what I particulately liked - none of the items were on the menue and the meal was utterly delicious and was some of the best Indian food I had on my entire trip. I also had two massages at the in-house spa - both excellent and amazing value. When I mentioned to the owner how I had felt quite cold the first time round, they immediately put an electric fan heater into the massage room. It's this responsiveness to guests suggestions, the "can-do" attitude, and service centered around the guest that makes Shanti home so special. I shall be back!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank BiBaiLi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tokyo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2009

Booked this hotel based on the favourable reviews on this site and I was a little bit disappointed.

Positives
Room is spacious with a comfortable bed.
Sfaff is very friendly and helpful. They planned our day in delhi based on our wishes of what we wanted to see and went out of their way to always accomodate us.
The restaurant is very good and the chef will accomodate your wishes.

Negatives.
The hotel is quite noisy. Most rooms on the first floor will face into the lobby area and the 3rd floor rooms get a lot of of noise from the rooftop restaurant. There is also quite a bit of noise from street traffic as well.
The wireless internet connection is very good on the first floor. In our room on the 3rd floor the connection was useless. No charge for internet though
The shower was not good at all, for the price charged I would have expected more.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fantokyo
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2009

We stayed here one night on our arrival in India and one night prior to departure.

It is a clean, friendly respite from the bustle of Delhi. The rooms were nicely decorated with good bathrooms. The rooftop restaurant served great food.

It is a little way out of the centre but we found the Subway easy to use (it was actually easier to get subway from old Delhi station than it was to get a auto rickshaw even with luggage), and they were happy to arrange taxis.

I would recommend this as a nice base in New Delhi

• Liked — The clean, relaxing environment
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Smiley09
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2009

Stayed at this hotel for one night only but really enjoyed the experience. The staff are incredibly friendly and welcoming, the room was clean and comfortable. The rooftop restaurant was awesome! great place for a drink and excellent meal prepared by their wonderful chef, Adil.

• Liked — rooftop restaurant
  • Disliked — no window in room
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank antigona1
boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2008

I stayed at this property for the second time. This time I satyed for ten days The hotel is as clean, pristine and superb as it was during my previous stay. The icing on the cake this time was that the owners Sanjana and Rajat observerd that my birhtday was on oct 10 they just planned a surprise party for me on the rooftop restaurant (lantern) that included the staff (chef Adil) the poliet and courteos wait staff and the ever efficient and unforgetfull front office staff of ms. puja and mr. anand the staff had fresh flowers for me in the room with a sweet card. The kitchen made speacial food and they managed to bring out the cake.
This time i used the hotel's staff to arrange the transport which I would suggest and stongly reccomend to all trvellers as the rates are very competitive and the drivers don't take you tounnecessary shopping stores where the locals try to sell crafts amd arts at exorbitant prices. So please go by the hotel's suggestion and take thier transport. The hotel is not trying to make money on the transport thier drivers are very courteos and well trained.
the sitar lessons in the second floor lobby were very refreshing.
Try the Ayurvedic Massgge. It is vigorating.They also hace a spa (A visting guest from england said for the money it was the best spa treatment she had!!!)

• Liked — ambience and personal service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank slatka
MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Shanti Home both at the beginning of our trip (October, 2008) to India, Nepal and Bhutan and at the end (Dec. 2008). When we first arrived I felt overwhelmed by Delhi, but the staff at the hotel soon made me feel more comfortable.. There's a lovely rooftop restaurant which serves all meals (breakfast was included), and the chef is truly wonderful! There's a metro nearby which can take you into downtown Delhi and is great fun to travel on as you can people watch to your heart's content. The rooms are very comfortable--they're named for different areas of India--and very clean. There's also free internet access. But what makes the hotel truly wonderful are the people who work there--all of them were very concerned with our well-being and went out of their way to help us--even walking to the metro with us and showing us how to navigate the system. This concern for their guests extended from the charming owners, Sanjana and Rajat Verma, to include all we encountered. When we returned to Delhi at the end of our trip, it really did feel as if we had come home!

• Liked — The hotel itself and the staff
  • Disliked — the location
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank barbaratm
NYC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2008

After following inconsistent and confusing directions provided by the hotel, the airport pre-paid taxi driver and I were eventually able to find the hotel (a word of advice, print out a map and hand it to your driver, no one will ever be able to find this unless they are very familiar with the neighborhood).The very polite reception clerk put me, a lone 6'3'' gentleman into a room with two double beds. I wasn't thrilled about it, but my assistant who booked the room had informed me that was all that was available and so I was expecting. All I really wanted was to write some emails, maybe watch the news, and get to sleep early thereby completing my scrooge Christmas routine. And here begins my particular issues with this hotel. Firstly, a very minor quibble, no televisions in any of the rooms; thereby scuttling my plans to watch the news. No problem I thought, I'll switch to plan b and go straight to dealing with the various chores I needed the internet's magical assistance to complete. Bad new on this front too, the internet connection in my room was so slow as to be ineffectual. Not great, but no problem, plan C, straight to bed in a crisp pair of pajamas. As you may have guessed, here is where the third problem arises. The rooms close to the reception hall / main entrance area are so inundated with noise of all types that it renders sleep practically impossible for all but the most drunken of would be sheep-counters. The phone ringing in the lobby, guests chattering as they come and go, various hotel workers gossiping etc. As this had all occurred in less than 20 minutes, I decided that this hotel was clearly not the place for me. I informed the gentleman at the counter that I would be changing hotels because for the approximately $130 (6000r) that I was paying for the room, it seemed only fair that I be able to sleep. The clerk quickly sprang into action and said he would change my room to one on the second floor immediately. Fine I thought, and as he didn't offer me the choice of refunding my money, it seemed the best choice on offer. The second floor features a much nicer room, with one large bed (why they didn't offer it to me if it was free when I asked for a room with a larger bed earlier is a mystery). I took off my shoes an settled in whereupon the windows started shaking with what can only be described as the bizarre sound of an Indian gentleman playing the sort of hits of the 60's / 70's that I strive to avoid in every day life (Think 'Lela' and that song with the refrain 'driving down the road trying to loosen my load' -I'm not sure what that one is called).
Giving up on sleep I decided to go upstairs to the restaurant to check out the food selection. It looked fine, but extremely pricey, even in terms of hotel food. I would have eaten, but the music (obviously louder considering its proximity) got to me and I had to run for it. After grabbing some food at a shop down the street, I came back, with the music still blaring, I decided on a quick shower, I turn the faucet on, check the tap, its hot, i get in. After getting in the water gets icy cold in about 30 seconds, leaving me with a significant amount of my person covered in suds. It seems that the staff neglected to tell me about the switch that turns the hot water heater on, and which I did not consider as a possibility as it is a phenomena generally limited to lower end hotels. It is now 11pm, and the acoustic singer has given up, but has been replaced with recordings of slow jams. Sleep seems very far away indeed.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business