“Never judge a Book by it's cover.”
Review of Al-Bake

Al-Bake
Ranked #172 of 12,989 Restaurants in New Delhi
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Chinese, Indian, Lebanese
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I have used this term before in the UK. I looked on trip advisor for places to eat near the hotel that I am staying at. This one came up. I have never had Shawrma before so cannot judge on how good it should be. But for me they where tasty, and plentiful for 50 IR. I asked the waiter for something that was not to spicy, he suggested the Peshawari Chicken, which I had with vegetable rice. The half portion would be enough for two people with a smaller appetites. The sauce was spot on. I did have some Garlic Naan with it as well, accompanied with water. The whole bill was less than 500IR including 12% Tax so very satisfied. Might go again before I leave Delhi in a weeks time.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We have heard a lot about this place, however, it came as a complete disappointment. We got 3 pieces packed. And as the luck would have it, all three had couple of very small bone pieces. Very less filling and had a 'stale' feeling while eating. Sorry, but we were disappointed!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Probably they need to learn what is an authentic Shawrma (also called donar kebab on Turkey). They make the Shawrma too oily and checked is almost minced. It is very different than the real Shawrma you get in Middle East. The bread used is also not upto the standard of real Shawrma. Since this joint is famous for the Shawrma I believe they should offer choice of a true Shawrma as well as indianised version.
The other BBQ chicken items are good.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

This is not the authentic shawarma but I feel it's better for our Indian taste buds we would find the original thing to be too bland and tasteless. The service for take away is very fast and efficient however to eat in is a bit chaotic and the surroundings are also dirty (that's SDMC's fault not theirs). I have only had their shawarma's and the problem is that they are never consistent. At times they will be perfect and at times they will be too oily. Oily too such an extent that oil would be all you would be able to taste. Consistency would make them top notch otherwise it depends upon your fortune if you are there on one of their better days.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have been visiting this place since early 2000. Things have changed last 13-14 years. Except few.

Like the Nice Aunty still sits there along with same gentleman. They are same till today. Nice, down to earth and helpful.
During our mba time in late 90's and early 2000. It was a two shop joint selling swarma and very crowded.
But swarma and ingredients were fresh and being prepared before your eyes. I still remember rs. 20 a roll during that time and we use to joke what they give us in rs. 20. But one thing was sure the best swarma was served there.
Now in 2014 when we visited after say 12-14 years since last visited.
Lot of changes were there, it seems the whole shops in their row was in their shop around 5-7 shops
I was really happy to be there and meet the owners.
We order the same old swarma. Here came big disappointment. Every thing was pre cooked and olny rolling, mixing of herbs and tomato was taking place. Chicken mix was stale and not freshly cut as they use to do.
Taste detoriated. Hope things improve soon. Till that time i cannot recommend them as amazing.