“Best place to stay in Delhi”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Eleven

and 1 more site!
Eleven
Ranked #11 of 1,054 New Delhi B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Best place to stay in Delhi”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This is a fantastic guesthouse, the best place to stay in Delhi by a mile. The location is quiet and secluded, but still only a short tuk tuk ride from everywhere, and the rooms are excellent, clean and very comfortable with reliable wifi. The staff are great, and Ajay the owner was more than happy to take care of any requests, whether it's sorting out a taxi, or posting a last minute letter for you while you try any make it to the airport. He has even given me a mobile phone to use during my stay in case I had any questions or problems.

I do a lot of field work and travel in India and coming back here is almost like coming home. Also the breakfasts are the best in Delhi, it was a big surprise to see proper coffee on my first morning!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Kamakura, Japan
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I had a very nice stay at 11. The location is good .The room was spacious and nice , breakfast was very big. You can help yourself as much as you want with tea, coffee and biscuits. Above all, M. Ajay is really a nice person. He lends you a mobile phone so you can call him if you've questions or some problems during your stay. As I had a night flight and since my room was not booked, he proposed me to keep the room for free until late evening so I could have a shower before leaving. It was so nice of him and I was so happy to be able to have a shower and change clothes before my flight. He also made sure I don't pay too much for the taxi to the airport and explained me how to go to the many places I wanted to visit. I really appreciated his hospitality and the fact he is not a "business minded" person.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Japanisa
london
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I travelled solo for a week in September 2013. All arrangements went very smoothly online - the owner replying promptly and efficiently. On my arrival I was pleased to find the b&b in a much quieter location (it is in fact a secluded colony) than I had anticipated - which in Delhi is a priceless bonus. The b&b is easy to reach from central sightseeing spots by a short tuk tuk ride.
My room was bright, spotless, pleasantly decorated, with a very spacious private bathroom and plenty of storage. The owner (a well-traveled and very knowledgeable person) gave me a mobile phone for the duration of my stay, helped me plan my movements in Delhi and also further traveling to Agra and Jaipur. Breakfast was delicious (unbelievably proper italian coffee!!!) and there is a wide range of choices. All the staff (although I don't speak Hindi and English was sometime a challenge) went out of their way to accommodate my needs (late arrivals, early departure, washing, ironing). There is reliable wifi coverage throughout the b&b.
It's an ideal accommodation (and I was very sorry to leave).

Room Tip: my room was the first on the ground floor, but bright and very quite. I don't like air-condition...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Utrecht, Nederland
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

We selected this B&B for the perfect location near the Nizamuddin train station (to catch a train to the Taj Mahal, Agra).

Along with that this is a perfect location to stay in Delhi (avoiding the chaos of the old town).

The rooms are very comfortable and clean. And last but not least, the owner Ajay was a true host. (Helping out booking tickets, ordering food when we arrive late in Delhi, etc.)

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed here 7 nights, terms negotiated in advance over the Internet.

Eleven is well located in a good neighborhood. It is a safe area where folks sometimes don't even secure their doors from the street.

Transportation was very easy as all we had to do was step out on to the street to hail a tuk tuk. On one occasion we walked 2 short blocks to get a taxi with a seat belt - although in Delhi finding that isn't always a snap.

Our host Ajay Anandd was most knowledgeable, pleasant and helpful. He could scarcely have been better. He advised us of reasonable fares to pay, such that later transportation negotiations on the street tended to end up being prompt and effective - you walked away politely if you didn't get something reasonable. He gave us advice about places to eat. He arranged airport transportation both coming and going, and he even got train tickets for us to enable a side trip to Agra - and when we almost got caught in a scam at the train station he assured us over the phone from his home that our train wasn't cancelled, and thanks to his advice we completed our trip on schedule and didn't end up being "hosed" for an inter-city taxi ride.

Incidentily, that scam fell apart, partly because of the good conscience of the key actor in it. The people of India were fantastic in my experience - an honorable and safe country, excluding the odd visiting terrorist from somewhere else!

Finally, my private room was adequately spacious, with good storage space and good overhead fans which is a safeguard against mosquitoes virtually never seen indoors. I did see a few mosquitoes outside but only rarely. Rich people in prosperous parts of Delhi often walk about with significant bare skin, with no apparent protection from, or fear of, bites. For myself, I stayed well covered and used repellant at times.

Breakfast was included. It was generous as to quantity and reasonable as to choice.

Importantly, there was free access to a supply of bottled water, so necessary in a city without a potable civic household water supply system.

The neighborhood was quiet at night, and rooms had good air conditioning.

I haven't put a lot of comments online, but Ajay asked me and I was glad to oblige.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the guest house for three nights earlier in October this year, and we were very impressed. Firstly, the booking went really smoothly, with the owner trusting that we would turn up and pay! We were very happy with the ground-floor room that we had: spacious, clean and cool - with fans and a private bathroom. I also liked looking out into the courtyard and seeing Ganesh and greenery. It felt very homely, and the host made us very welcome, but was not intrusive - which is perfect for us!

There were many little touches we liked: a mobile phone so that we could contact the host whenever we needed to; the opportunity to have a simple but nourishing evening meal; cold beer in the fridge; and great recommendations for things to do. The host will plan your day for you if you like, and has lots of advice.

Finally, the location. It is in a quiet area of New Delhi, with lovely bungalows, and near many sights including Humayan's Tomb which I would really recommend. An amazing complex.

This place will suit you very well if you are looking for a comfortable, simple place to stay in a central but quiet and safe location. We really enjoyed the 'homely' ambience, and the little garden. It is also excellent value for money, and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I had a lovely stay at Eleven. It is located away from the noisy centre of Delhi in a quiet and leafy area, but it is in easy reach of everywhere by tuk tuk, taxi or metro. I stayed there on two occasions during my holiday in India, and both times the host, Ajay, helped me out with a mini itinerary for the day's activities, including how much to expect to pay for transport and where to eat. He was very kind and helpful, including before my arrival in India when he gave me detailed information via email. Due to my two separate stays at Eleven I got to try out two rooms, and both were comfortable, spotless and charming. It was lovely to return to the peace of Eleven after a day out in Delhi! Breakfast was delicious and the servings were very generous. I thoroughly recommend Eleven and I look forward to staying there again one day!

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo