“Maybe for a Bukowski experience; otherwise, look elsewhere”
Review of Hotel Astoria

Hotel Astoria
and 1 more site!
Hotel Astoria
Ranked #609 of 733 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I got moved here after another I showed up late for a four day reservation at another hotel and they claimed not to have any rooms [?] The lobby area, stairway, etc, looks nice. After that, it's hard to catalog everything the matter with this one. In short, most people will be unhappy here. OTOH, if you don't mind living a little rockily, and you want to have a kind of down-and-out, Charles Bukowski kind of experience, it's serviceable, and the houseboys can be sent on all kinds of errands, so I'm sitting here happily writing.

The problems:
-I have to ask every few hours to have the fuse or circuit breaker for my a/c turned back on
-No inverter or generator, or candles, when the power goes out
-Roaches
-Tears in the very grey sheets
-Pillow, beneath the dingy pillowcase, is even darker and greyer
-Staff comes in to clean, turns on the tv, and then stands around watching and doing very little
-Area is less backpacker-friendly than nearby Pahar Ganj, ie, there is nowhere to go for breakfast if you don't want Indian, and personally, I like breakfast to be a very mild experience
-Sometimes the toilet doesn't flush
-Showerhead jets out a dozen piddly streams of water; more like a wall-mounted water pistol
-Faucets leaked heavily
-Don't expect things like towels, soap, toilet paper--actually pretty standard for lower-end Indian hotels, but you should know
-Bed is pretty hard
-Walls are dingy and scuffed, probably some paan spit marks here and there
-Half the lights don't work
-Exposed sketchy looking wiring
-No wireless
-Furniture looks pretty tired out
-No jug in the bathroom for use during bucket baths
-Room across the hall is, I guess, being gutted, and the debris is everywhere in there, with the door always open--looks like a bomb fell.
-On the whole, the neighborhood has a lot of touts. I let them try for a minute or two, and then explain to them in Hindi why I want nil to do with them.

After all that, for rs800, this is an a/c room in which I can say I'm comfortably seated and secure, and getting work done. You can do a lot better for a little more, though.

Room Tip: Maybe ask to see a few more rooms--looks like there's some renovation going on.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 4 March 2013

I'm in the hotel right now and I felt morally obliged to warn anyone thinking about booking here to stay away. I can deal with the filthy room, the stained sheets, even the absolutely disgusting toilet. What I cannot deal with, is that last night a mouse came into my room via the broken AC unit. It's now just a tunnel that let's in roaches and assorted other vermin. I caught the mouse and asked to be moved rooms, but I had to wait till the morning. I'm now in this new room, ready to go to bed. 5 minutes ago I went to the toilet to find a salamander type lizard crawling about on the seat. This place is beyond bad, it's an utter joke. I have another 6 nights booked here as I'm waiting for a tour to the south to begin. I think I'll just write off the cash I payed and find a new place tomorrow. Avoid at all costs, sleep on the street with the stray dogs if you have to, just avoid hotel Astoria.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank CallumHowe
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Awful place, filthy, smelly rooms. Do not trust the staff, after simply asking the man on reception for a map some very dodgy men turned up trying forcibly to get us to book a tour. Managed to get away from them in a rickshaw, only to find the driver was in on it too. He stopped to pick up the dodgiest one of them, who kept trying to get us to go on a tour. Managed to get out of the rickshaw, they followed us for a while but we got away. Ended up changing hotel to hotel rahul palace who arranged a driver to take us back to pick up our bags. Hotel astoria refused to refund our remaining nights stay so we lost out on the money we paid upfront.

Quite simply do not stay here as it is unsafe.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 25 November 2012 via mobile

Stayed here 2 nights, the staff are friendly and helpful but that is the only thing going for the place!
The rooms are pretty dirty, we found quite a lot of bugs in ours. The toilets look extremely unhygienic an there is a VERY unsafe fan on the ceiling that looks like it might fall out at any time!!

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Laura E
Reviewed 26 August 2012

This place was awful. The rooms stank, bathroom did not work, telly was tempramental and the windows were smashed in only covered by a curtain. Room service was rather prompt do prompt they didn't bother to knock and just walked in, we soon learned to lock the door. Only good thing was the free fast Internet, we used it to book a room elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Shedders
Reviewed 3 August 2010

This hotel is situated in Karol bag one of prime location of Delhi but u will be surprise to find your hotel once you get out of that for any reason.of course the price is low approx. 1200/- per person but even that is wastage of money in that hotel.bathrooms were so smelly that once you open that it will take 15-20 minutes to disappear the rotten smell.this may be because of lack of proper ventilation across room.also room service staff are not obedient and were less behaved.overall i never want to remember that hotel even in my writing.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
6  Thank rajeshofficial
Reviewed 11 January 2010

The moment I stepped in to the room I decided to check out. The room was stinking, the bathroom was not usable, the bed sheets were not washed. When I told the person at the front office that I am checking out he offered to put me up in a nearby hotel but refused to refund the amount. My advise is avoid Cleartrip.com for hotel reservations. They don't bother to check out the hotels they are associated with. I repeat again this is A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
2  Thank shushrutha