“Amazing Saag Gosht 455 INR (Sophisticated restaurant)”
Review of Swagath

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Defence Colony
Reviewed 5 July 2014

While looking for a restaurant to have differ in Defense Colony Market, I choose Swagath because their menu selection is quite good. I wanted to try non-Veg curry.

I always end up eating Chicken Butter curry, I wanted to try something new. then I chose Saag Gosht (455 inr), which is Lamb chunk stewed in fresh spinach. It is WOW ! Just WOW !
I am usually OK with any level of food but this lamb curry is the best ! Spinach is really fresh, even I could tell, Lamb is super tender and juicy, it didn't smell at all. So amazing. It doesn't come with rice or naan. So you better order something separately. I had butter naan (85 inr).

I had Cosmopolitan (305 inr) as well, so my check was 1,166 inr in total. Here is run down.

Saag Gosht = 455
Butter naan = 85
Cosmopolitan = 305
VAT@20% = 61
VAT@12.50% = 83.57
SVC@10% = 88.5
STX@4.944% = 48.19

Credit card is accepted fortunately,,, but I was shocked when I saw my check ! It costs the same or more than average dine out in Singapore honestly.... so please remember that Swagath could be the most expensive restaurant in Defense Colony Market.
However, it is worth a visit ;)

Also this place is good for just drinking, it doesn't look so because all tables are covered with white linen and all staff are in nice black uniform, but don't hesitate to go there just for a drink. You are still welcome.

Oh, I couldn't finish my curry, so I took the rest home.

3  Thank mamacita1001

Reviewed 20 June 2014

i just love the food here. malabar chicken with malabar parantha/ uppam is a must eat here.. tried andhra mutton curry after trying it at andhra bhawan.. honestly andhra mutton curry took me by surprised and first time ever couldn't finish malabar chicken but cleaned mutton completely.. andhra mutton curry is the new favourite here..
i love the spices from down under and its always a nice treat to break away from traditional punjabi style of non veg dishes..

1  Thank sdbhagat
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Our Indian friends took us to this restaurant when we first arrive to India to try a good Indian food. The food was yummy but I didn't like the atmosphere dark lighting. Service is OK not that fast ...

1  Thank mirnag89
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Very few of the good restaurants in Delhi where you can try the Mangalorean cuisine at its best. Located in Defence Colony in South Delhi, this restaurant is perfect for family setting. It has a large seating space spanning over three floors and an extensive menu to choose from. The decor & aesthetics of the restaurant is average but best known for food. Do try out the fish and coconut based curries. The food is though expensive but must try for a unique cuisine.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Swagath in Defence Colony used to be the kind of restaurant one would go to whenever the taste buds were thought to deserve a really opulent treat. Not anymore though.

I visited Swagath a few weeks ago with a friend and the food quality had dropped drastically while the prices had shot up with as much enthusiasm. We ordered the sol kadhi, which was the best thing we ordered from that menu, it was cold as Cruella De Ville's heart which was perfect given the summer heat, and it was tempered mildly with spices, especially the crushed curry leaves,just enough to titillate the palate for the food to come.

We ad ordered the paneer Tikka Pudina (Mint marinated cubes of cottage cheese) in which I think they forgot to add any salt or spice; the paneer was as bland as Malawi's economy. This was followed by the mutton gassi which was passable but it lacked the punch of tamarind (that traditional gassi contains) or the exciting heat of the multitude of spices that go in to make a memorable gassi. The Malabar paranthas though were top-notch, its layers crumbling at a mere touch and every bite of it melted in the mouth.

This frugal meal cost us 1800/- and frankly it just wasn't worth it. Maybe if the bill was half the price I would've called it value for money.

1  Thank RochieRana