“Drool, Drool!”

Cuisines: Chinese, Indian, Street Food
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery
Reviewed 8 May 2014

For an Indian, you think of chaat and it never fails to churn the saliva in your mouth. One of the best places in India to have chaat is in Lucknow or Benares. But if you are in New Delhi, I suggest you head straight to Bengali Sweet House in Bengali Market in central New Delhi. This restaurant is synonymous with chaat and other mouth watering Indian fast food. It is a huge eatery, always bustling. They serve you chaat by the wayside, which has it's own charm, or you can sit inside and enjoy other food, too. Their "gol-gappas", "papri chaat" and "aloo tikkis" are outstanding. You can round it off with "gulab jamuns" to cater to your sweet tooth. Be warned, there are plenty of other goodies to tempt you or take home, too. DON'T count calories once you are there! Just enjoy the ride....you deserve it.

1  Thank Anil K

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Delhi is famous for its chaat and the first name that comes to mind when thinking about chaat.is Bengal Sweets at Bengali Market in New Delhi. It's mouth watering golgappas melt in the mouth bhalla papri and crisp aloo tikkis are too good. You can eat them standing like street food or order them sitting inside the restruant. Once inside the restruant the variety of food available is amazing- Chhole bhature just out of the Kadhai are irresistible . Other offers are vegetable noodles (Indian style) South Indian fare like dosa vada idly . But these are best avoidable.
Bengal sweets has a very large variety of sweets to take home or eat there. Best are the gulab jamuns esp on a winter day. Hampers of Mithai and dry-fruits on Diwali or other festivals are worth giving to friends and relatives.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

The people behind Bengali Sweet House have been running this “homely” sweet shop for more than 7 decades now. It was established in 1936 by a sweet old man Lala Bhim Sain and now his son Jagdish Aggarwal continues to serve us all lovely sweetmeats in his popular shop in Bengali Market.

Bengali Sweet House is synonymous with good taste and quality. Serving a wide variety of snacks ranging from Chaat, Aloo Tikki, Delhi's favourite Chole Bhature ,South Indian and Continental food, this sweet shop has something for everyone. The best part about it is that the food here is extremely affordable and hygienic.

When at Bengali Market, you must try Chaat Papri and Gol Guppas, that tons of us spend years fantasising about. If you have lived in Connaught Place for a long time then the restaurant may seem cosily familiar to you as pretty much all the sweet shops around this area look exactly alike. Personally, whenever I am at BSH I feel like I have broken into Bangla Sweet House in Gole Market because it has a striking resemblance to Bengali Sweet House.

BSH has a legendary status in Delhi and there are very few people who do not know about this place. This shop has appeared in numerous Bollywood films where hindi film actors like Anu Kapoor and Ayushman Khurana are seen enjoying these famous Gol Guppas. Other things to savour here include gulab jamuns, badaam milk, dhokhalas, ras malai, etc. Everything on the menu is truly out of this world. I wish I could fault something on the menu but I really cannot as everything they serve is perfection personified.

I think what this place is most famous for is its chaat because you can see all kind of people - men, women and children, lining up to enjoy the treats this place has in store for them. They also have a restaurant area which is a 20-seater venue spread around the sweet shop for people to sit and relish their sweets and savouries.

The service is really swift and the servers are absolutely brilliant. I was sitting at a table alone for a moment when an elderly server came up to me and said it's really hot shall I get you some ice cold water? I was really touched and what I loved most what that he really paid equal attention to all his tables unlike Nathu's Sweets where I went in and decided to return because no one served me for 30 whole minutes. I understand that it was Eid and everyone was busy but how did the Bengali Sweet House server have time to serve and be nice to me then? Just that elderly servers kind gesture touched my heart and I can say with confidence that i am definitely returning to BSH and recommending it to everyone I know - 10/10 for service.

They had a huge interesting spread of additional sweets for Eid and the place was swamped with people. I also tried their Sohan Halwa which was a fabulous dessert.

Visiting on Eid at lunchtime, my partner and I were surprised to see the number of customers the shop had. If crowded places make you awkward, I would suggest you avoid this place but if you can move past the initial awkwardness then there isn't a better sweet shop in Delhi.

I have to mention again that I was very happy to see how attentive my server was and how he paid attention to all my needs. It is very rare to find servers who are actually interested in making you comfortable now-a-days. That said, the server at BSH ensured perfect service: from serving me chilled glass of water to packing all the takeaway food I had ordered in the shortest imaginable time, I can only say good things about BSH.

----- 24 Jan, 2014 -----

Bengali Sweet House hasn't let time change it, it has been the same for years. I adore this place for its Rasmalai, Rabri, Moong Dal Halwa, etc. I also strongly recommend its Kulfi Falooda.

One of my most favourite things on the Bengali Sweet House menu is their: Kesar Badam Pista Milk. They have a fridge full of glasses with this special badam milk that sell like hot cakes. Their badam milk is not very creamy or heavy, the subtle flavour of kesar and small bits of badam and pista make it a perfect after meal dessert substitute!

Overall, Bengali Sweet House deserves a 4/5 for its desserts!

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We decided to have lunch upon the advice of our trip driver for typical Indian food. The place was very popular and we had to wait few minutes to get the table. We had Pani puri, Aloo tiki with Chhole and topped it off with Kulfi ( ice cream ) and Gulab Jamun. I highly recommend this place for snacks or lunch.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Very good chole bhature and Noong dal halwa to die for, fast service and value for money, parking is a slight problem.

2  Thank Amitabh M