“Count on Cecil for a fab family holiday.”

The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla
Ranked #1 of 112 Hotels in Shimla
New Delhi, India
“Count on Cecil for a fab family holiday.”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We had a fab family holiday with our kids at the Cecil. The rooms are done up superb with amazing view of the hills. Only disadvantage being that this hotel has no lawns so you're pretty much in your room to enjoy the beauty. Not complaining coz it has a gorgeous lobby and gorgeously appointed rooms.
F&B was average...not upto the Oberois mark. But not complaining ....everything else was perfect. Kids had a blast in what they call tej best activity centre they've ever been to. Full marks to that...couples with a heated pool.
The walk to the mall is long but you have the option of a drop to the lift so itv works out fine. We enjoyed the walk so not complaining at all. Thanks for a super holiday!

• Stayed July 2014
oberoicecilshimla, General Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience. I am delighted to learn that you along with the family and especially the children enjoyed your holidays at The Oberoi Cecil. Your positive comments are a tremendous source of motivation for all of us. I have also made a note on your observation on the food part and would surely share it with our Chef. I would be grateful if you could share some more insights with me as it would help us. You could write to me at arpit.pant@oberoihotels.com

The team and I look forward to your next visit.

Arpit Pant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
Chandigarh, Chandigarh, India
Reviewed 17 July 2014

If they say God is in the details then surely Oberoi is a temple. You get a small print out of tomorrow's weather forecast placed on your bedside every evening. That is an example of the lengths that this hotel goes through to make your stay exceptional. I've stayed in many different kind of hotels but not one of them made me feel this good about parting with my money.

This was my first ever stay in an Oberoi property and i have nothing but severe compliments to give to the Hotel's amazing staff. I booked two Premier valley view rooms to celebrate my birthday in Shimla. When i got to the hotel, every member of the staff from the general manager to the guards at the door wished me a happy birthday. I was told that my room has been upgraded without additional charge and i had a beautiful cake waiting for me when i got in. The room was something out of an interior decoration magazine and very comfortable. On our way out we actually took down details of the pillows used in the room.

The indoor pool is amazing, the food was mouth watering (Ketchup served is imported from London) and the overall ambiance of the place with lots of wood and thick carpets is very warm and inviting. Oberoi Cecil is a true five star hotel and they know it. The tariff is definitely on the higher end compared to many other hotels claiming to be five star properties but this is one of those experiences where you feel like you got more that what you paid for.

Room Tip: Book a Premier valley view room for a better view and bigger room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to know that your first experience at an Oberoi hotel was with us at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla and that the team was able to make your stay and your birthday special. Thank you for your appreciation for our team and all the special gestures that you very kindly made a note of.

We do hope that you would choose to stay at Oberoi hotels in the future as well.

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

The Oberoi hotels are a class apart and the Cecil is no less. An excellent hotel with great service and style. The staff is very hospitable and warm. The rooms are really big and grand. The toilets are superb with nice toiletries.
A highly recommendable place to stay but if you want to spend for the comfort and grandeur.
The breakfast in the morning is excellent. The atrium bar is well stocked and one can sit here in the evenings and down a couple of drinks.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank NeelavSamratDe
oberoicecilshimla, General Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments on your stay experience at The Oberoi Cecil and your patronage for Oberoi Hotels and Resorts. The team at the hotel is our biggest asset and it gives me immense pleasure to note that they made your stay enjoyable.

We do hope to see you again with us in the near future.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Cecil is a classic hotel which is situated right at the entrance of Shimla. Brilliant hospitality shown by the hotel GM and his excellent staff. The hotel has a great breakfast buffet spread with brilliant service provided by the staff. The hotel sometimes has access issues as its situated next to the Vidhan Sabha.

The rooms are clean and i simply loved the bed and the pillows. A must try is their spa service. Also it has a lovely indoor pool. A great hotel to spend a holiday. Although, it doesn't have a proper pub, it does have an English style bar.

Special mention to Arpit whose the GM of the hotel and some of his staff members (Naunihal and Shoumi) for the great hospitality shown.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having stayed with us on your recent visit to Shimla. I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay. "Sleep" and relaxation are the most important element on a holiday trip. Our Pillow menu in each room is designed to offer our guests the comfort required. I would surely share your positive feedback on the breakfast buffet with our culinary team.

We look forward to your next trip.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Where do you start - Oberoi Cecil - perfection! Went to Shimla for three days down time after a fast paced trip through the Golden Triangle and immediately travelled back in time to a world of old fashioned colonial service where ones every need was anticipated and catered for - like being carefully wrapped in a cashmere blanket! Well located with stunning views - the bedrooms were well appointed - the public areas, the amazing atrium, the dining room, the pool area, the spa - just wonderful. The staff were ever present but never intrusive - the waiting staff in the bar and dining room, the room services - a credit to their training. As a non-swimmer I was just happy to sit in the pool area reading a book and looking at the fantastic view - an afternoon spent having treatments in the spa was one of the most relaxing ever! The Mall is a short walk uphill but then it is hard to avoid hills in Shimla - note to travellers with breathing difficulties the air is quite thin. I would agree the food is average, but then it was the same in all but one of the hotels I stayed in, that was in Dehli. I found the a la carte disappointing (I lied to the chef when he came to the table, he was so nice) but there were some very nice choices in the buffet, some good wines and breakfast was excellent. MONKEY ALERT - they are everywhere - never leave the bedroom window or the balcony door open or you will have an unwelcome visitor - the staff warn you on arrival but it is still a shock to hear someone knocking on the window and find yourself eye-balling a monkey or two or three! If you find yourself in that part of India do yourself a favour and head for the Cecil.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Orla N
Dear Guest,

Thank for such a wonderful review. Most of guests do tell me how they loved to end their trip at Shimla. The city offers a great mix of the old world colonial charm, hundreds of years old temples and a lovely shopping area to walk. I am glad to know that you took time to enjoy the hotel and facilities on offer. It is wonderful to have an ambassador in you for The Oberoi Cecil.

Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 29 June 2014

When I booked us at the Oberoi Cecil, I wasn't too sure about what to expect. When we checked in, I was pleasantly surprised to find a spacious room with an outstanding view. We had expected the room to be smaller considering the hotel is located in the heart of Simla, hence the room definitely exceeded expectations.
The chefs were both responsive when it came to ordering for my 3 year old's meals. The personally ensured that the food was customized as per our instructions.
When we stepped out for a walk, we were yet again elated with the location of the property as we realized that its located in the VIP zone thus making it less cluttered n polluted as compared to the rest of Simla. We thoroughly enjoyed our morning and evening walks and the concierge Mr Aleem even managed to arrange for our toy train tickets even though there was a high wait list for them.
All in all, we really were well taken care of and the Oberoi Cecil team were a 10 on 10 in making our stay comfortable.
The only shortcoming in the hotel was there was no separate toddler pool due to which the main pool was mostly overcrowded with kids and adults. Also I do feel there's definite scope for improvement in the toddlers play area though its not something that bothered us much as we were mostly stepping out during the day.

Room Tip: One should try n go for the valley view room as the view is outstanding!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tania1910
oberoicecilshimla, General Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your trip to Shimla. It is wonderful to read that the hotel's location, our services and facilities were to your liking. Your positive feedback means a lot to the entire team. The swimming pool at the hotel as a standard does not have a "deep end". it is even at a depth of 4.6ft throughout making it comfortable for children and adults. I have made a note of your point about the play area. We constantly keep adding new games and activities for children and I hope you would find the additions on your next trip with us.

Warm Regards
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Great sincere service. Its good to go to a quality hotel and have the staff feel like they want to do it right. I was traveling alone and for a Woman in India, this is really the very best you can do for yourself. Perfection

Room Tip: Tell them what you want and you will get it
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank AmitaDancer
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you with us. The team at the hotel strives hard to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests. I am happy to read that as a single lady traveler you felt at home at The Oberoi Cecil and we were able to create a memorable experience for you.

Warm Regards
Arpit Pant
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shimla
Radisson Hotel Shimla
Snow Valley Resorts Shimla
Hotel Marina
Hotel Marina
#11 of 112 in Shimla

Been to The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla? Share your experiences!