“pleasant staff”
Review of Asia The Dawn

Asia The Dawn
Ranked #37 of 113 Hotels in Shimla
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I think I had a better room. Certainly big. My room was clean and well decorated. Good hot water. Public areas a bit jaded. I thought food a bit overpriced but tasty. It was far from the town but not too expensive to use hotel car. It was cold but had heater in my room. Windows did not close properly which did not help.

Room Tip: There are hotels closer to town. Maybe a bit warmer.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank alexa_mackay1
There are newer reviews for Asia The Dawn

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I Stayed at this hotel on 17th Nov 2013.I had booked a package tour and the tour planner recommended this Hotel. The Hotel has 4 start rating ut I would say that it is around 3 star. Room which was booked for me was on first floor. The room was big and spacious.It was neat and clean.The property is bit old.The bath room was big and clean although the window was not shutting and cold and chilling air was coming from it inside.The Hotel Staff was very friendl and co operative.Dining hall is also well kept.AS I prefer Pure Veg and Jain food the chef prepared that for us.Overall I would say It was a comfortable stay but do not go with 4 star expectations.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hiteshajain
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This was my worst ever hotel stays in last seven-eight years of my vacation tour.
Hotel rooms are spacious but no proper cleanliness literally stinking. You can get the garden view rooms which I have got but bear in mind they also brings lots of mosquitos and bees as your host and when you ask for the mosquito repellent they do not have that in their hotels. On request what they can provision is mosquito coils which smogs.

They have generator as an backup for any power cut but it is not auto trigger which means if there is power cut it generally takes 20-30 mins or more to switch over to generator depends on electrician avaialability. I had a terrible night when my baby was not well in the night and power cut happen around midnight, it was literally scary in the night as it was raining and thunderstorming with no visiblity. Phones were not working, when I reached to the manager, he was saying that we have to wait for 4AM in the morning for the generator to start as this is electician job as his shift starts at 4AM. When I have asked for emergency light they provide me 4W emergency light with 10 mins of backup and they do not have the candles as well. I asked them if they can call doctor then how will he do the checkup in the dark night and they do not have any response to it and then I realize if they really have doctor on call for such situation. The only thing they keep on convincing me to wait till 4:00 AM.

The phone was not in running state even complaining them 3 times they were not able to fix it. As per them you cannot do the inter room call if the city exchange has the problem which I was surprise to hear that.

I donot know on what basis this hotel has been rated as 4 star, my experience living here for 2 night will not even rate this hotel as 2 star. If you really do not left with any option then think before you check-in into this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank nsnegi
Reviewed 29 October 2012

This hotel is an Ancient Piece & very far from Shimla in Taradevi. Food is good. Not all rooms are good the New Wing is Good & Renovated. We had booked this hotel as a good package was offered. The service initially was extremely slow.Then but obvious the fight was on.
Also the location is good as some rooms face the valley. Those are too good.

Room Tip: No Swimming Pool
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SHTARAPORE_12
Reviewed 26 May 2012

To travel about Shimla, Asia The Dawn is a good idea. The rooms are quite spacious, the bathrooms are clean and the food served is delicious. It is not far from the main city and one can go on impromptu treks behind the hotel.

If you're going with a few friends on a budget, it is a good place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 January 2012

This must be one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in! the hotel website is very misleading.
Dirty room and bathroom, stayed here for 3 long nights and room was not serviced. Very cold room and hard bed. Piped music which could be heard loudly in the room from 7 am until 11pm (website is right about that!). The website boasts games room with "billiards and table tennis" nothing of the sort, there is a room but when we entered there were two dirty mattresses with one person asleep. It aslo boasts terrace with valley view that's also a joke.
this was a real disappointment and spoilt our visit to Shimla.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank montywood
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I availed my "Take a break " through Heritage Holidays I hade visited Shimla in the month of July.11 along with my friend. The stay was comfortable enough.. The Hotel is situated at a calm place in the shivalik Hills. Our room has a very good view of the hills and the shimla town. The lights of the shimla town give amazing view in the night. Recommend this hotel for tourists, who want to avoid the hustle and bustle of the crowded shimla town. The food was good but very costly. I will suggest that try to avoid the use of hotel restaurant. The over all stay was good.

Thanks,