“A great historic railway”

Kalka - Shimla Railway
Ranked #5 of 85 things to do in Shimla
More attraction details
Owner description: This railway was built in 1903 to connect the summer capital of India to Punjab.
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A great historic railway”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was a real joy. A sedate trip down the mountain, winding around the hillside and popping in and out of tunnels, with regular stops at stations and to allow trains in the other direction to pass. It was great to be able to sit in the doorway with the door open and feet swinging in the breeze.
On our train there was very limited space for luggage, while the litter and on-board toilet facilities meant that it didn't do well to look too closely at the track.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Dirty model train”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I was really looking forward to a short trip from Shimla to Tara Devi, 9 stops along. I purchased my ticket after queuing for 30 minutes, got my ticket and then proceeded to board the train with my family, no seats were available. I went back and demanded my refund, after the usual Indian haggle I eventually got my money back.Lessons learnt:-

1.0) The train actually stank of urine,I tried to get into1st class thinking I could buy a upgrade,but decided not to as the smell was too much, I was also told by another passenger that he had those seats booked anyway.
2.0) Should have reserved a place prior to date of trip, I found out that there were no seats available for the next 3 days, so good luck with that one.

Even if I go back there someday, I would not try this train, it's just not worth it.

Chandigarh, India
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“best ever travel experience - toy train”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Toy train as the name say when you get in, it really looks like a toy. Seatings are quite limited and compact in coach. Do not carry much luggage with you when travelling by toy train. As TT told me that they don't allow big trunks inside.

Don't confuse with the name when you book tickets. Every train which go to shimla from kalka is a toy train.It takes around 5 hours to reach shimla.

We took himalayan queen at 12 o'clock. When it started from kalka, for the first hour we were sweating like a hell and though we did a terrible mistake to choose it but as time passed and it started turning arround hills. It turned into pleasant view and weather. It pass through many tunnels and sudden turns to dark.The view of nature from train was amazing which you miss when go by road.

There is station call "badog" which is so classy and looks like a resort. I recommend to get down by train and visit the whole place.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank AshishLahoti
Noida, India
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Real highlight of our trip”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Shivalik express is the train to go for.The whole Kalka Shimla line is a view to die for .You will get tosee some amazing engineering marvels in form of tunnels and bridges .To add fun to the whole thing the weather is really the best thing there .

Visited July 2014
New Delhi, India
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We loved beautiful view on the way.
Prefer- Shivalik deluxe ( It serves breakfast/ Dinner and seats are comfortable).