“Average stay”
Review of Clarkes Hotel

Clarkes Hotel
Ranked #2 of 117 Hotels in Shimla
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Visited hotel in dec. interiors are old but not all maintained. Not at all advisable. Poor view. Only positive point is its on MALL ROAD..... Room service is pathetic. Food is good but advisable to have from local market.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Rajan105
Clarkes-Shimla, General Manager at Clarkes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sparing your time and posting your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor.

We have noted your comments regarding the hotel maintenance & view of a room will take this into considerations. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay.

I once again thank you for your kind words. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Shimla and every endeavor will be made to ensure that Clarke’s Hotel becomes your home when visiting this city.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Really had a lovely holiday. We were 4 of us on a vacation for 4 days to Shimla. Shimla is rely a lovely place especially the parts which are still unexploited. The commercial parts unfortunately are very typical. But this hotel was lovely. Though old, however everything else was great. Nice old rooms of the British raj. The breakfast was very good. The service was nice. Would love to sit in the evenings in the cozy lobby. Good hotel. If I ever go back to Shimla for a holiday Clarkes it is.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Menaka R
Clarkes-Shimla, General Manager at Clarkes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure having you stay with us at Clarke’s Hotel, Shimla. We thank you your valuable comments on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to note that you have had an enjoyable stay, it was a pleasure to have been of service to you.
We look forward to the pleasure of your continued visits and assure you of our best attention at all times.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

We have been visiting the hotel since many years and each time ,we leave the place with beautiful memories. Located in the heart of Shimla, Clarkes is a heritage hotel and a wonderful place.The staff is excellent and very welcoming .The chef Meet Singh cooked few exotic dishes especially for us and the manager took personal care of all the guests.Strongly recommend the hotel to everyone to enjoy the hospitality .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank archana3108

Dear Guest,

I have conveyed your generous compliments to Chef Meet. It has been a tremendous source of inspiration for him.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Everything was fine there. Summer is the best choice of season. I missed my family, as I was on business tour. I can only say that something you can not express, it can be experienced only. I would like to plan my next holiday trip with family. I wish, what I have had experience, i would like to share it with my family.

Room Tip: corner suites are large and sunny. congenial atmosphere.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Clarkes-Shimla, General Manager at Clarkes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Reviewed 22 November 2013

The Clarkes is a heritage hotel and the first purchase for the prestigious Oberoi group. I have stayed once earlier in 1998 and had very good memories.This time i stayed at the Hotel on a business trip and a dinner meeting.The best part of the Hotel was the Staff. All were ready to do and help the guest for comfort.The Chief Chef Meet was a wonderful person and the food he served was just amazing.The rooms were comfortable and cozy for a chilly winter night.

Room Tip: Take rooms with a view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank sandeepdelhi
Clarkes-Shimla, General Manager at Clarkes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We have been to Shimla couple of times & stayed at Oberoi Cecil & Wild flower hall. Somehow we were not able to get bookings of Cecil & thats how we landed at Clarkes. Hotel Clarkes is value for money & goes very well when you are travelling with a small kid & your frequent outing is on Mall road (as it is on the peacer side of Mall road). The property gives you the feeling of the Raj times & is well maintained (however needs further improvement). Touching point is there staff, old timers: very welcoming & supportive. Chef Meet & Manager takes care of your individual tastes & gives personal attention to all guests. We booked a premier room & breakfast included in our room price. We were upgraded to suite free of cost & dinner was inculded as well at a nominal charge. If you are travelling by your own car then parking on mall road can be an issue but ample parking is available at nominal charge which is next to hotel along with porter services. If we come back to Shimla, Clarkes would be now our first choice.

Room Tip: Go for a suite, its worth your money if travelling with family.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Clarkes-Shimla, Manager at Clarkes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Reviewed 1 November 2013

I was quite concerned about the hotel's recent reviews on the website. The Clarkes is a heritage hotel and the first purchase for the prestigious Oberoi group. I have been returning to the hotel over a period of 20 years and couldn't believe some of the negative reviews. Although I think subtle upgrades to upholstery and the bathrooms are due, the staff are impeccable and lovely, the food and service excellent with rooms that are charming and cosy. The hotel is authentic (as opposed to the nearby, not very clean Combermere) and old. Those who fail to realise this and claim it is over priced are clearly unable to grasp the heritage of the hotel. The price, for what you are getting, as well as it's ideal location are a bargain! If you want cheaper or more modern, by all means take your bad taste or budget elsewhere! I'm sticking to the Clarkes and thanks for another lovely stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bay window or a suite as they are lovely
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Harpster2013
Clarkes-Shimla, General Manager at Clarkes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure having you stay with us at Clarke's Hotel, Shimla. We thank you for your valuable comments on Trip Advisor.

We are happy to learn from your feedback that your visit to our hotel was pleasant and comfortable and that the facilities provided to you were to your satisfaction.

Your valuable comments regarding the upholstery and bathroom maintenance have been noted and necessary actions will be taken.

Your generous indication of our performance will be a source of inspiration to our staff.

Warm Regards