“Terrible in every way.”
Review of Fortune JP Palace

Fortune JP Palace
Ranked #6 of 104 Hotels in Mysuru (Mysore)
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I stayed at Fortune JP Mysore while 2012 turned to 2013, along with a group of 9 other adults and 4 children.

Ms. Rekha answered my reservation inquiry over the telephone and she couldn't tell me the floor size of the different types of rooms at Fortune JP. The only difference between a Standard Deluxe and Fortune Club room according to her was the unelaborated 'amenities'. It finally took 4 calls before I could get a booking confirmation over the email. (To be fair, the first confirmation came minutes after the call, but the final one after making a change to my reservation to add 2 more rooms took these repeated reminders).

The reservation experience was not the memorable one. My credit card company offers me a 2nd night free upon first stay with any of the Fortune hotels and a 20% discount on rack-rate during subsequent nights. Both explicitly without black-out dates. Fortune JP Mysore refused to honor either until I had to esalate several levels up at both my bank and at the hotel. For me, it is simply a matter of honoring a promise. They finally agreed to consider this offer on 1 (yes, one) room if I brought along the voucher which my bank had sent me a good half year ago, which I couldn't find. My bank loses points too on this one.. don't we live in the days of central bases? So I paid the usual rates in the end.

The hotel either doesn't have its own fleet or it was all booked to be able to pick us up from the train station. They sent an Indigo and a Tavera to pick 14 people in all (10 adults, 4 children, plus drivers). A largely inadequate arrangement, after you've counted the bags. No placards, confused drivers, back-and-forth telephone calls and squeezing in later, we found that the cabs were outsourced to another company and the hotel had the least bit of co-ordination with them; the drivers wanted to be paid directly. Let us not even talk of the money charged for a 12 minute ride.

The group entered the lobby at 1320 hrs and it was 1350 before the first of the five rooms were given to us. All along, I kept requesting for at least one room so the lady in our group who'd taken ill could settle down. The staff acted like our arrival was a surprise while the booking was done a full one week in advance, the pick-up details mentions the Shatabdi train whose arrivals are a well registered event in small town Mysore. Mr. Kaushik at the reservations was beaming with pride when at 1355 hrs, at what his considered his magnanimity in getting us 2 (yes, two) rooms of the five booked. The last room was allowed for our use at 1450 hrs. When I requested an audience with the hotel manager, the man (Mr. Waseem) who had steadfastly avoided eye-contact crossed over to our side and introduced himself as the duty manager. We saw no point in talking further and requested to see the accommodations manager Mr. Sreedhar. The usual 'isolate incident and not reflective of our normal standards' lines followed but I found it hard to believe even one room out of the five booked could be provided to us on time.

When we entered our room, we found a used toothpick to welcome us, a used coaster (rim shaped beverage stains) under our coffee cup. We aren't the ones to fuss over the little things but by now, they had begun to add to the pile making up for our bad experience. The accommodations manager knocked, accompanied by the lady at the hospitality desk. After a minute's apologies, that he was away but really making sure our rooms were ready (I assume a man of the services industry should value transparency and importance of updates and being approachable!).. I really saw no point in talking to him after when he asked the lady accompanying him to pick up the toothpick than do it himself. Someone who values hierarchy more than doing the right thing didn't seem like the one who'd understand us further. We got 15 drink coupons for an apology. We appreciated the gesture but not that they came with the same day validity. It was our first experience with limited validity apologies.

The sign card on the table mentioned a basket of fruits with compliments from the hotel, exactly at the place where the basket should've been. For a double occupancy room, there was only one set of slippers. Bathrobes were present in only two of the five rooms we'd occupied. Television was still hooked to the neighborhood cable network and a far cry from digital transmission quality. Tiles under the sink had grout. The shower door didn't close fully. Noise from the air-conditioner vents running between the rooms (take 312 and 313 for example) bothered at night. (AC vents is what we guessed it to be. They went on and off time to time). A plastic spoon floated in the middle of the swimming pool. The deck towels never came while we were still at the pool, while an easy way was to just place them in the changing room.

The service at the restaurant and the food was a saving grace for sure.. but by then, the damange was done.

I could go on and on and on... but I'd stop at saying just this much. Stay away.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank VarunYagain
FortuneJPPalace, General Manager at Fortune JP Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

Dear Guest,

At the outset, I would like to acknowledge receipt of your feedback and thank you for bringing these points to my notice.

While I regret the inconvenience you have experienced, may I assure you that I have already made an investigation on the causes for me to personally address.

I would additionally request you again to treat this as an isolated incident and not a reflection of our normal services.

I would like to fervently furnish couple of points to bridge up gaps between us that all the hotels are having very limited authority in terms of honouring any 3rd party voucher, as you understand that depends upon producing the original testimonials, as well as Hotels need to abide by the terms & conditions which are contracted with the 3rd Party.

Ourend we are committed to ensure your satisfaction as you made us fortunate to host at Fortune J P Palace.

There are newer reviews for Fortune JP Palace

Reviewed 3 January 2013

We visited Mysore in Christmas Holidays (2012) & stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. Its a good option for Mysore & certainly in top 3-4 hotels available there.
Nice stay with good food but i believe that improvements can be made on veg menu available for the restaurant.
Good clean rooms with good view.
Team is very helpful & resolved all queries on time.

Dear Guest,

At the outset, I would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity of hosting you during your visit to Mysore city. I am pleased to know that you were satisfied with your experience of our services and facilities. Your affirmative feedback on our team inspires us to keep doing better to make every guests stay memorable.

I would like to mention here according to your valuable suggestion we have decided to put more option to our veg buffet display.

Looking forward to pleasure of serving you again on your next visit.

Reviewed 31 December 2012

Not a great hotel but from the options available in Mysore probably amongst the top 3 to 4 options one can look at. It is basic hotel with not much to do in the hotel though the rooms were comfortable and decent size, there is no great view from either side of the hotel. The rooms were clean but the washing of cutlery happens with just water and not soap and water in the rooms, my first hand experience, even after asking they didn't do the needful. But other than that, the room was decently clean. Otherwise the hotel was very disorganized in terms of their restaurant for breakfast, the lobby, check out as well took time after they asking us to leave at least 2 to 3 times as we were late for check out by a few minutes, etc. They need do get their service and act together. If they look into cleanliness and service, can be a lot better option. Will probably not repeat my stay here in Mysore if I get another option the next time around.

Room Tip: A room facing the government guest house as that will give open view and green cover though it faces...

Dear Guest,

While I regret the inconvenience you have experienced, may I assure you that I am investigating the causes for me to personally address. I would additionally request you to treat this as an isolated incident and not a reflection of our normal services.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

The rooms are big and clean. Very well furnished and comfortable. I went their with my family and it was an extremely comfortable stay. The room service is quick and there are good options in the room service menu. I specifically liked the lunch buffet in the restaurant. Mohammad , the restaurant manager is a very helpful guy. The staff is well behaved and cordial.
Would recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
FortuneJPPalace, General Manager at Fortune JP Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued feedback and your warm words of appreciation. Looking forward to welcome you again on your next visit to Fortune JP Palace. Assuring you the best service at all times.

swarvanan Dhanabalu

Reviewed 28 December 2012

Mixed feelings of the stay. The check-in was a major let-down. The staff ignored us initially and kept talking on the phone and among themselves. Refused to acknowledge my ITC Card for any benefits as the booking was made thru Yatra website. They had a large contingent of foreigners around whom they kept hovering.The room was well equipped and clean (though overlooking the petrol-pump). Dinner was an extensive buffet at Orchid Restaurant. Staff here were very courteous and friendly (total contrast from Front Desk). Breakfast next day was also very sumptuous at Orchid. Dinner was another flop-show! We dinned at Oriental Pavillion. We specifically asked for non-spicy food and got very spicy. Asked for "sweet & sour", got spicy masala; asked for noodles, got rice! Checkout was "smooth" - the tourist-group had left earlier and different front desk staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a "front-facing room". House-keeping was courteous and friendly.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

While I regret the inconvenience you have experienced during check in as well as with your dinner order, may I assure you that I am investigating the causes for me to personally address. I would additionally request you to treat this as an isolated incident and not a reflection of our normal services.

Reviewed 27 December 2012

I chalk up about 12 hotel stays a year ranging from sprawling beach resorts to the yotel airport hotel. Ranging from family weekend getaways to longish business stays and i have to stay this has to be the most disorganised property I have stayed in.
When my wife decided she wanted to visit mysore for a quick getaway I figured Fortune hotel - what can go wrong..... So booked a 4 night package. Took an early morning flight from mumbai and shatabdi to mysore. Efficient station pick up, quick and friendly check in. Escorted to our room. And from here things went pear shaped
Door wouldnt open - so we wait 15 min in a corridor with 2 little children who have just travelled 7 hours. Ok 15 more minutes - no big deal - we just smiled and when they got the lock fixed entered the room
Long journey - ordered room service lunch and wanted to use the mini bar. Everything was warm! We called housekeeping and requested them to replace with cold items - Reminded them half an hour later. Request fulfilled 45 min later only to discover no bottle opener!
Lunch came in - wrong salad!
By now i was annoyed - asked to meet the GM - GM didnt turn up but an apologetic lady who had earlier shown us to our room. Showed her the state of our room. Mal functioning mini bar, broken safety latch. Next 30 minutes was maintenance staff fixing latches and replacing the mini bar..... And my lunch getting stone cold as I was opening the door to let them in. And then our room was changed to another room where everything was apparently working. So two hours and -one cold meal later with a wrong salad we finally had a functional room. Apologies and commitments that everything will be great from now.
We ordered tea and the wrong tea was sent - oh well
Cut to dinner - can we have a diet coke - no we are out!
Ok we ordered drinks - we pretty much finished dinner and no sign.... Complained and then the drinks were served - took about 20 25 minutes - more apologies and commitments - exec chef apologised and they were nice enough to waive the bar tab but really we.were not looking at saving a few hundred rupees

All these isolated incidents seem small but they add up to make a stay unpleasant. We are one day now - 3 days to go - lets see what else they will throw at us.h

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank SurroundedByH2o

Dear Sir,

Thank you for providing a detail feedback of inconveniences experienced.

We have conducted point wise investigation based on your feedback and have initiated corrective actions to bring in the desired efficiency level and ensure that there is no recurrence of the same.

I do look forward to pleasure of hosting you in next couple of days when my colleagues and I can demonstrate to you again how your feedback has resulted in immediate correction and re-establish our credibility with you.

Warm regards,
Sarvanan Dhanabalu

Reviewed 26 December 2012

We are just back from our vacation at Mysore. We stayed at Fortune JP Palace, Mysore for four nights. I selected this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews and called the hotel 2 months back. I was given with several package options to choose from initially. Upon my request, a customized package was offered to me and I went for it. I would like to truly appreciate the reservations team (especially Ms. Rekha) for the excellent support, promptness in responses and the courtesies.

I opted for Deluxe Suite and when we entered the room, we were happy that the room was arranged as per my requests. Very spacious rooms with all the modern amenities.

We truly enjoyed the food at the restaurant and the kids were excited about the range of the spread and they enjoyed all their favourite dishes and deserts. Special thanks to Chef and the staff at restaurant for offering us with our choice of dishes which were not part of the buffet spread.

Neptune bar had really nice ambience and got a good collection of drinks. Spa services were OK.

The travel desk was very helpful, but only the problem that we had was that travel desk was not ready to charge the travel bills to the room. I would prefer to settle the entire bill at the time of check-out rather than carrying cash for all the payments every day.

Christmas decoration in the lobby was very nice and kids spent lot of time watching it and taking pictures.

Thanks to the entire staff of this nice hotel for being helpful, we had a great holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms are spacious and nice. Garden facing rooms will offer good view.

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Fortune J P Palace Mysore...!!!

Looking forward to pleasure of serving you again on your next visit.