“Beautiful hosts, family environment - beware, you won't want to leave!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mysuru (Mysore)
Shanthi Niwas Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #29 of 144 Mysuru (Mysore) B&B and Inns
“Beautiful hosts, family environment - beware, you won't want to leave!”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed with Ganga and Cary for 4 days this March, having luckily come across their home stay via a traveller recommendation. They welcomed me into their family immediately and the chats and fun we had was actually the highlight of my stay in mysore (although its a beautiful city!). I was travelling alone and practising yoga and they couldn't have been more accommodating or kind: giving me suggestions of where to visit and eat, which buses to get into the city (don't be put off my the location its an easy 15-20 mins by bus or rickshaw to the centre), endless supply of papaya and even taking me to their club for swimming; whilst also giving me space. The house and room are clean, simple and peaceful and Ganga cooks a beautiful breakfast; shanthi is the perfect name for this guest house. Thank you Ganga and Cary, I hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: The smaller room in the main house is great value for a single traveller.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Ali G

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Ijmuiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Our plan was to stay 2 days in Mysore during our cycling-trip but in the end we stayed 4 days because Ganga and Cary were very hospitable and they gave us a lot of tips about what to see in Mysore.
In their house we met Stephen who organizes cycle-tours in and around Mysore, vey nice to do.
And Cary took us several times for sightseeing.
AS we planned to take the night bus to Kollam with our bicycles he also organized the bus tickets and upon our departure he was there to ensure that the cycles could be in the bus
And on the way back- when there was no room free - he arranged that I was his quest to stay in the "club"
We had a separate room outside the house with a sleeping room and a living room.Although true rooms were more basic than luxueus - with an asian shower - we had a very nice stay because of the very friendly and helpful hosts

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank willem s
Pune, India
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The best things about this house stay is the quite area and the very friendly and helpful family. We stayed there for 6 nights and Ganga organised personal yoga lessons each morning which for us was really the best way to be introduced to it. The breakfast was very nice, and in the room we had enough privacy. The only thing is that we took bucket showers, but this wasn't a big problem. If you want a homely place to stay in Mysore with a famliy atmosphere and people who will give you all the advice you need to explore Mysore and the surrounding area, this would be a good choice.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul W
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Yours hosts being good cannot compensate for a poorly maintained property. We stayed there for 8 nights and honestly it took, quite a bit of getting used to. If it was not for a medical treatment which I was undergoing, somewhere in the vicinity, I would have probably checked out the first night. Actually there is quite a bit which works for it, a good locality, spacious, the room opens onto a terrace (a life saver)..but honestly, you got to get serious if you want to stay/continue in this business...
Untidy room, no shower in the wash room, stained walls/tiles, stained see through curtains, flimsy door locks (the most irritating), dog poop all over the terrace every day with no one cleaning it...got to go there to believe it...whose giving those reviews...
Charging 100 Rs/day for TV for someone staying for 8 days, over and above the 1200/day (for 2 adults), kiddish...
Breakfast served is good, no issues with that, but honestly I was expecting them to check least once in those 8 days if there is something specific we needed for breakfast...but anyways, whatever was served, tasted good...and they did check if we needed milk for our little one, first night...thoughtful..
In Summary, "this is just how it is..take it or leave it..."..the kind of impression I got...Good folks, good potential..but sadly...hmmm...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Saurabhng
gangacariappa, Owner at Shanthi Niwas Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Hello Saurabh,
This is for your memory reminder of your stay with minimum shelling out and asking for maximum benefits. I usually don't bother to save my skin because I am confident and I know what I am Doing. YES, My charges are Rs650 with a proper Indian breakfast for Indians and hope you've realized, Its a very large portion where I don't count the portion of a child, His milk etc. And for your kind Information, I asked If you need milk the first day and it was ritually given everyday.
And I had very clearly mentioned that we don't have television in the room and it was your request to hire it paying Rs100 for YOUR child. My guests are usually westerners and do not need a TV in their room.
I never promoted myself to you to "STAY" , it was your request saying "MEDICAL REASONS". Everyday , you were out only for 3 hours and would come back and use ALL the tank water to take out YOUR oil after massage and wash YOUR oily clothes with again refilling of the tank. I haven't put cost on all that. You should have walked out and stayed in a star hotel or Opt for a very low budget hotel around the area. Please do that the next time , Do not TORTURE your family when you do not know the concept of a home stay.
And BED n BREAKFAST is where you don't order your food, and HERE , it is COMPLEMENTARY . You could have easily shifted to a hotel because they are many around and you knew it , If you thought this place is "KIDDISH" because you knew in other home stays or hotel, with a big discount you have taken , your son could not play badminton , you wife could not use a induction stove and you shelling out minimum and expecting maximum .
And about the dog poop they are let out in the night for OUR security reasons and the open terrace is for OUR dogs and not Home stay guests who do not love pets because I do not charge for them to use the terrace. In the morning , sometimes if the dog has dirtied the place , It is removed and I do not have any mechanism doing instant jobs.
And finally, For your kind information , I'm not doing charity to any headstrong people here.

Ganga Cariappa
pune
Reviewed 27 November 2013

It was a very nice stay at Shanti Nivas homestay. We stay here from 1st Nov to 3rd Nov 2013. The rooms are neat and clean and we were 5 friends who stayed here. The price was 500 INR per head per night and for that price the rooms were excellent.
You can also get breakfast by paying 150 rs additional per head and I can say the breakfast was really tasty.
Mrs Ganga is a very nice lady and she talks very very sweetly to the guests.
The only small disadvantage I can say is related to the location of the homestay. Though it is located in a very nice area but its 7 kms far away from station. Well exactly the distance is not a problem but arguing with Mysore auto guys for price is always a very irritating thing.

Would I stay here again if I visit Mysore , I say definitely yes.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Reviewed 28 October 2013

To stay at Shanthi Niwas was such a special experience - mostly due to the extremely open, friendly and fun way of the host family. It is like you become part of their family for a few days but at the same time keep all the privacy and freedom you would like.
We extremely enjoyed the delicious home-made breakfast, sat for coffee and tea with the family watching the Dasara festivities on TV and had a very welcome even at 5am when our bus arrived.
The room and bathroom are neat and clean but if you are looking for a high-class hotel, this probably isn't the right place for you. We only had a little problem with ants, which could be solved quickly thanks to a spray Ganga provided for us.
All in all I can only recommend a stay at Shanthi Niwas, all the homelyness outweights any little discomfort.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Athens
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I was there for more than two weeks and it was one of the most pleasant places where I've been.
The house is in Siddharta Nagar, a quiet and green residential suburb outside the city centre, where many upper middle class people are building posh villas. It has, nevertheless, all you need nearby: fruit and vegetable shops, places to buy water, bread and biscuits, pharmacies, tailors, internet place with only Rs 15 per hour, many ironing carts for the clothes you wash, even an ice cream parlour (not worth it) and a good vegetarian restaurant (a branch of Ramani's, also available in the centre of the city) where you can try asking which dish is less spicy hot (good luck with that, they all are).
The B&B has one room available, which is a suite of bedroom, sitting room with sofa and bathroom, so it's good for up to 3 people of which 2 a couple sharing a double bed. It's built on the terrace of the house, with a separate staircase and entrance. The bed is comfortable (with a firm mattress, heaven for us back sufferers), there is an almirah and a dressing table with mirror, a table in the sitting room. The bathroom has a geyser for hot water, there are fans of course, an electric mosquito repellant is provided (not that there were any mosquitoes when I went there, at monsoon time). There is a clothes line for hanging your clothes in the bathroom, or if the weather is good you can hang them outside, on the terrace of the house. There is no bedstand or bedlamp, though, and the existing wall lights are on the low wattage side, so ... forget about reading after dusk, you'll need a new glasses prescription (or you can go to the central market and buy a Chinese reading lamp for 300 rupees).
The big problem with these rooms is that there are no wooden shutters, only light coloured curtains (very flimsy in the case of the sitting room), and the many windows, which make them so pleasant and lovely in daytime, can make them hell in the night. There is a huge bright streetlamp exactly opposite the room, pointing at your head when you're sleeping, through the large window over the bed, and at any moment of the night it's like daytime! Actually at dawn, when the light is finally turned off, the room gets noticeably dimmer. If you, like me, need darkness in order to really rest in the night, this will be exasperating. Even more so, of course, if you're the third person sleeping on the sofa of the sitting room, because there, two out of four walls are only glass, with almost transparent curtains (you can see them in the pictures). And be careful if you undress at night in that room, because you'll be providing free entertainment to the whole neighbourhood. Luckily this problem is not difficult to solve. I suggested that they add some heavy dark curtains that can be drawn on night time, and I hope it's done by the time I return - because I will, it was otherwise so lovely. For my stay, Ganga gave me two thick bedcovers to hang over the curtains, but still... Amazingly, she told me that only two guests so far complained about this, so maybe it's not a big issue for everyone. Just mentioning it so you know.
Ah, yes, Ganga and family. Let me come to them. They are really wonderful. Ganga is the one taking care of the B&B, as her husband has his own successful restaurant to run and is away most of the day, and the two teenage children, although pleasant and well-bread, of course have their own activities, so you hardly see them and even less hear them. Which is more than can be said for the handsome shiny dobermann, Taiji, who, whoever, by the 4th-5th day, got used to me and stopped acknowledging my presence so loudly. Taiji is locked up in a sort of cage all day, and let loose only during the night, while the other one, Dipsticks, a sweet Indian breed female, is allowed to roam more freely, and she was wagging tail and begging for cuddles from day one.
The wonderful thing about Ganga, apart from her being hospitable, enthusiastic and always helpful with info and tips, is that she has this innate and rare gift of appropriateness, so she knows when to be social and chatty, and how much, and when to leave you alone if you don't feel like socialising.

The distance from the city centre makes me say that it's not the best option if you only have 2-3 days and you want to cover a lot of sightseeing - unless you are willing to shell out 100 rupees to an autorickshaw every time you go and come back - , but definitely worth it if you have more time on your hands, because then you can use the extremely efficient Mysore bus system, which is only Rs7 X 2, and the bus stop is really two blocks away. Ask for "Geeta College", because it's the landmark everybody knows. There are many buses passing from our bus stop, so you don't have to wait a lot when going to town, but on the way back, you have to choose only one bus (typically n. 80, from bay 5 of the Central Bus stand, the bay on the far left as you look from the entrance), as they all leave from different platforms and of course you cannot be at more than one at a time. And you may have to wait for 20 minutes until you get a bus, plus of course the 15-20 minutes to get back home, often standing for most of the way. I found myself not going back at the B&B for resting in the middle of the day - not worth the time and hassle. That's why I'm saying, if you only got a couple of days and don't want to spend on an auto or the experience of negotiating with rapacious autodrivers for the price every time (something I find more tiresome than fun), then get yourself a place in the centre. It won't be so relaxing, though. And you won't meet Ganga and the Cariappa family, which will be a pity.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo