Lalitha Mahal Palace is a heritage structure for India and Karnataka. Its our good fortune that we non royals get to spend some time in the premises of this majestic place.
We came to Mysore on a Saturday evening and stayed at the Lalitha Mahal for a night.
The road to Lalitha Mahal is good and as one drives inside the main gate, one does feel a bit like royalty. The car parking was empty as almost all rooms were booked for a marriage reception that was to happen on the next day.
As we entered the hotel, it was a great feeling. The receptionists were polite and offered us a off season discount. We took a ground floor room. We just decided to crash as soon as we entered the room.
The breakfast on the next day was quite OK. But I saw the typical servile mentality of Indian hotel staff who just ignore the Indians and favor the foreigners. The breakfast was to start at 7.00 but the complete spread was not ready till 8.30. Neither was the food warm. This is inexcusable as we pay so heavily for a stay at this hotel.
The hotel is a government run place and I need not say any more about the upkeep of the hotel. The bathrooms suck (leaky and squeaky taps, yellowish bath tubs). The swimming pool is disgusting. The gardens are all dug up, weeded and probably are in their worst state. Only some patches in the front side are kept well. The room we stayed had a big hole behind the bed side table with wiring that is visible. Its sad.
Overall, the palace is great and its abundant beauty and grandeur is all due to the great Maharajas of Mysore. Do visit this place once for lunch/breakfast at least when you are in Mysore and you will surely like it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Classic Indian-style Hotel, formerly a Maharaja's Palace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Booking.com, Priceline, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Lalitha Mahal Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lalitha Mahal Palace Mysore
- Mysore Lalitha Mahal Palace