“Ok hotel, don't trust the manager!”
Review of The Cottage Hotel

The Cottage Hotel
Ranked #153 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights in December 2013 in a single room. The accomodation is fine, wifi is a bit temperamental, and the pillow in the room was dreadful but it was pretty quiet considering the location. I came to Mumbai to try and do all the sightseeing the city has to offer in 1 day and with this in mind I asked the manager to arrange a driver for me for the day as the city is so big. I specified he had to be an English speaking driver. He arranged a driver and assured me that he spoke English. The manager lied to me about this as the driver didn't speak English at all which made my one day in Mumbai infuriating. I called back the hotel at lunchtime to tell him I wasn't happy and wanted to leave the driver and find another one myself, he said I would still have to pay the full amount. I later got an Indian whom I met in the street to speak to him on the phone and he eventually agreed to let me pay half and I let the driver go. I then paid out again for a proper guide who spoke English at great expense. I didn't get to do everything I wanted and this experience effected my time in Mumbai very negatively. Do not trust the manager of this hotel!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Jonny H
TheCottageMumbai, Manager at The Cottage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Dear Mr.Jonny,
If Pillow is dreadful why not ask for change the pillow or complain to the hotel manager.Driver drop you point to point places , he is a driver & driver not left the car anywhere in Mumbai & go with you as a guide .You have also not paid the half day charges of taxi but you have use it .Half day charges of taxi was Rs.700 & you have paid only Rs.500.I am very sorry to you on this incident . I hope you will be come soon to Mumbai again go with positive & good memories.

Thanking you

Regards
Deepak B.Shrivastava

Reviewed 31 October 2013

i have taken a single bed room for 1 week, Room & toilet are kept very clean. Very near to Chembur Stn - East & on the Central Avenue street where lot of restaurants are available. Preferred during Business trips & short visits. Food was tasty, wi-fi,A/c, Hot water were available

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
4  Thank Madhav A
TheCottageMumbai, Manager at The Cottage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear Madhav,
Thank you for your recent stay at The Cottage,Mumbai & for your encouraging feedback. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Deepak B Shrivastava
The Cottage,Mumbai

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed at Mumbai for 2 days. The experience of cottage was :

Good response from the reception staff (Mr. Mukesh), as soon as we reached mumbai. They have guided to reach the Hotel. Hotel is near to Chembur railway station, taxies and rickshaws are easily available.
Good restaurants are nearby.
Hotel rooms are good, deluxe medimum rooms are small.
Rates are OK

Room Tip: Select Deluxe large room, if you are travelling with family
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank VSridhara
TheCottageMumbai, Manager at The Cottage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear V.Sridhara,

Deepak B Shrivastava
The Cottage,Mumbai

Reviewed 15 October 2013

The hotel is at a 5 min walk from Chembur station. The hotel offers a very good value in Mumbai, especially where hotel rooms are very expensive and finding a decent room is difficult. I stayed in a single room for a week, the rooms are clean and functional. The rooms are part of a lodge, but have their own separate entry and exit. The service staff is very friendly and helpful. Good budget hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank rbsing
TheCottageMumbai, Manager at The Cottage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

0091-22-25217685
0091-22-25210300

Reviewed 19 July 2013

I stayed in a simple single room, and as a single female traveler felt very safe. Kind and able porters took my luggage up the steep stairs. Also, I thought my room and bathroom was nice and clean.

However, there were two downsides.

1. I had to catch a 6:50 am train the next morning at Bandra terminus, and had already had a taxing 18 hour journey from Singapore ( for a variety of travel snags) with little sleep. As I reached the hotel close to 10 pm, I thought I could at least rest for 7-7 1/2 hours before travel began. But because of heavy rains, the manager kept insisting I leave at 5 am because of flooded roads.

There was no such thing. I got to Bandra under 20 minutes through relatively dry roads, and then had to sit at the platform by myself for an hour and a half. Precious sleep time squandered.

2. Although the manager insisted I pay by the meter, the cab charged 300 Rs/-. The Cottage should form better relationships with taxi wallas to avoid this happening in the future.

Otherwise, a fine place to stay, and near plenty of shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank monabha

0091-22-25217685
0091-22-25210300

Reviewed 3 July 2013

Stay date: May 21 2013

Over all experience: OKAY
Service: one notch above OKAY
AC worked. Bed comfortable. Bathroom Clean.
Take your own T.P. and DONT throw it into the toilet ;) Better use the 'faucet' to clean yourself, then use the TP to dry yourself. (that should give you a hint!)
Location excellent and yet DIFFICULT TO FIND because the hotel sign is so small and on the side of the building as opposed to in front. In front the sign to look for is SUBHASH HOTEL.
Front desk service: he was good to me but I have an impression that he could be difficult. When originally I had asked for detailed directions and wanted to confirm the hotel address he was not friendly at all saying all I need to tell the taxi driver is: OPPOSITE CHEMBUR EAST RAILYWAY STATION. Yeah. We circled around for 15 minutes! ( although IT IS OPPOSITE chembur rly station).

I would not mind staying there again for a night or two.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank egleview
TheCottageMumbai, Manager at The Cottage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2014

Reviewed 6 June 2013

The hotel being conveniently located nearer to Highway and Chembur station is decent and nice room service. A good budget hotel away from the crowd and easy access to other areas. The
reception Manager is friendly and takes care well.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
6  Thank venugopal g
TheCottageMumbai, Manager at The Cottage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Dear Mr.Venugopal,