“Itchy Is Not The Word!”

Gulf Hotel
Gulf Hotel
Ranked #431 of 484 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed 8 April 2012

In the last ten years this place has tripled in price and gone down hill big style. Rats and rooms full of cockroaches. There are elements of retro style but the place is crawling. To end on a positive note, the men who operate the lift are lovely. Super polite and kind. Reception however is a different matter!

Room Tip: Do not book!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank PinkyBinks

Reviewed 29 March 2012

everything is good making for me everything is good making for me everything is good making for me everything is good making for me everything is good making for me everything is good making for me everything is good making for me everything is good making for me

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank radhakrishnanDubai
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Our family of 5 was booked into Gulf hotel (which when asked is a guesthouse) for 3 nights in mumbai. This was our first trip to India so we thought that it was a good idea to utilize a travel agency. Boy were we wrong!! We chose Holiday India travels and it was the worst decision that we could've made. We were promised 3.5 to 4 star hotels as we paid accordingly for that however, to end our trip to India with Gulf hotel has left us with a bitter taste of how companies in India fool tourists with promises but provide subpar services.

Anyways, back to the Gulf hotels. About first impressions from the outside, the sign in green makes it look like its a very welcoming place - close to the Arabian sea ocean front and Gateway are it's only selling points. On the first floor, there is a small lift that can fit 3 small people with the lift operator. It is ridiculously tiny. If you walk up the stairs, you will notice that there is a large hole right on top of the Gulf hotels sign (it's hidden since the building stands tall). On the third floor is the reception area and adjacent to it are rooms that look like cabins on a ship - blue and silver in color.

The rest of the rooms are on floors 4 and 5 and have a wooden finish. We stayed on the 4th floor. The rooms are extremely small and dirty with dirty bedsheets and blankets. The towels had stains on them and the bathroom is uber gross. There was a bucket and a small bowl which is used to shower and the insides of both were brown and felt slippery. I washed both the bucket and bowl out with soap and hot water however just used the bowl to shower. When you shower, the entire floor in the bathroom floods and you leave wet from the bathroom onto dirty floors in the bedroom. There were also small bugs flying around in the bathroom and there is mildew and mold everywhere because there is no ventilation in there. There is central A/C however, in the temperatures of mumbai, it has poor function.

I learned that in mumbai there is no smoking in public areas however, guests were freely smoking in their rooms and in the hallways. There is no wifi at this hotel and the nearest internet connection can be found at an internet cafe down the street (30 rupees for half hour).

Overall, I will never in this lifetime return to Gulf Hotel in Mumbai. I am sure that there are better places for the price we paid and I will never use a travel agency again. I would not recommend this place to anyone and would only advise you to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel unless you are looking for filth.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank sssingh2405
Reviewed 3 February 2011

I stayed here with my mother for five days. We paid 1870 rupees (25 pounds) for a double room on the 5th floor with a window and a view (albeit small) of the sea. The communal areas of the hotel are quite exquisite (marble etc) which fools one into thinking the rooms might be of a similar standard. They're not! They're in severe need of renovation - peeling wallpaper, windows that are stuck etc. They have a website where the pictures of the rooms bears no resemblance to reality. It is a Muslim-run place and has a lot of Arab guests. The lift only goes to the 4th floor so we had to walk up one flight. We asked for the air conditioning to be turned off and after a few replies by hotel staff that it was not possible (they could attach paper over the vents if we wished!) a more senior and sensible staff found a crude handle to reduce the airflow. The room was pretty basic, the sheets were clean, but had holes in them, the mattress and pillows were fairly hard, and the bathroom was clean and had hot water, but the tap leaked. There was an old rusty noisy fridge which worked, as did the fan and tv. The room was cleaned every day if you asked it to be, and you also had to ask for other amenities such as toilet roll or soap. The staff were on the whole friendly and helpful. The hotel has an expensive restaurant on the top floor (Koyla) that has ok food (no alcohol), but is constantly busy (book in advance) with the young and trendy of Mumbai who go to smoke sheesha there mostly. The adjoining restaurant to the hotel (Ideal) has good food for a reasonable price. The hotel is really well situated to visit the other sights in Colaba on foot (Gateway of India, museums etc), there are always taxis outside and it's cheaper than many other 'budget' hotels in the area.

• Stayed: January 2011
5  Thank Spiderpoo
Reviewed 15 July 2010

So on a rainy day in Mumbai, we skipped over other hotels and chose the Gulf because the exterior looked nice. The cheapest room they had was more than twice what we wanted to pay for, but we assumed (foolishly) that the high price was for a nice room.

boy, we were wrong. First of all, there were only two of us, and the room they gave us had 3 beds in it. The sheets they had were old and dirty, and we didn't even use the blankets they gave us. I was wearing sandals everywhere in the room. I asked to get towels from the front desk (a 20-minute operation), and was assured that they would bring two down to the room. After another 40 minutes of waiting, I went back up to the front desk to ask again for the towels. The front desk guy, having totally forgot my request, got one of his guys to go find towels. After a frantic search, he found one "clean" towel to give me.

We were in Mumbai for three days, but only spent one night here and spent our whole first day walking around the neighborhood finding a better hotel, where we spent the last two days in Mumbai. That may have been a blessing in disguise because we got to know the area really well, but this blessing was not worth my stay at the Gulf.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2010

A little on the sterile side, the bathroom mildly dirty, but hey: it's India. Take pillow case and sheet. The staff are quick to help, and it's a short walk to Regal Circus and the Gateway. There is dingy restaurant right below hotel with quick service, cheap prices and good food. Get the cheese Naan with jam for breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank BaldOne01
Reviewed 1 December 2009

The area was good. Value for money. Staff always willing to assist.Food on Top Floor (Koylas) was exellent and inexpensive. Had a great time.No problem with bookings, unlike other hotels i stayed in Mumbai.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends