“A beach hotel”
Review of Hotel Beach Garden

Hotel Beach Garden
Ranked #209 of 452 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed 10 June 2013

The hotel is situated just across the road facing Juhu Beach. It is opposite the Ramada Plaza. The location is easy to reach by taxi, however because of current renovation work, the signboard is missing. The hotel staff is courteous and ready to help. Just cross the road and one is at the Juhu Beach. It is very near the Santa Cruze airport and all the domestic flights fly from just above the hotel

Room Tip: Few rooms provide a beach view
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Beach Garden

Reviewed 25 March 2013

My sister and I booked Hotel Beach Garden through the recommendation of a friend who frequently travelled to Mumbai and understood our need to budget.
We aren't particularly fussy, as long as the place is clean with running hot water and enough mirrors so we can get ready each night. The hotel was mostly just a place to crash between clubs and meals with friends.

-The Good-
Excellent location just opposite Juhu beach and very near a lot of the five star hotels where the clubs are. We didn't bother going to Juhu Beach as its not particularly picturesque. Also nearby districts such as Bandra are hip and trendy for the clubbing scene. And most importantly the area was safe, even for two foreign young girls that would normally be prime target in India. We didn't get half as much hassle as in other areas.
The hotel layout was quite unusual and pretty intimate. An outdoor reception area that you could see through all the room windows, with stairs and/or balconies that connected each room. Plenty of character, rather than a generic, impersonal hotel that you can't call home for a few days.
The room itself was like a cute, homely apartment. Even when the delightful manager later asked us if we wanted a free upgrade to a much larger room, we declined as the room we had (with a small balcony to smoke out of) had much more character and felt like home. For those who can't quite embrace the Indian bathroom system like we did (toilet and shower all in one place without separate cubicles or raised areas, which meant the water after a shower went everywhere) then look elsewhere.
We were constantly calling room service/reception for questions and asking to borrow irons etc. they were all so patient and happy to oblige. The restaurant was also room service only, so perhaps it was just a kitchen attached, but when one is hungover and too lazy to roll out of bed, this set up was perfect. And the food was pretty good too, and far more reasonably priced than the nearby restaurants. They had the wifi up and running throughout our visit but it was only on the last day that we realised that the connection is not strong enough to reach the rooms and we had to sit in the reception area to access it. Also plenty of good tv channels for those hungover mornings.
By the end of the 3 nights, we were friendly with all the staff, even joking around that they were like caring parents making sure we got back safe and at a decent time (if 6am in the morning is "decent")
Would definitely stay again.

-The Bad-
Despite the excellent location, rickshaws and taxis just could not find this little hidden away hotel, and the address (opposite Juhu beach) is rather vague. So I strongly suggest that you find your bearings before venturing out, and tell the driver it is opposite the ramada and close to the Marriott. We got a rickshaw from the Marriott to our hotel and it took half an hour and a ridiculous charge before we discovered it was a 5 minute WALK away!
As with many hotels and houses in India, the rooms aren't very bright. All the shades, curtains and lack of windows tend to keep out heat. But we go on holiday specifically for heat and light!
On the first night we asked the manager if it was okay to have friends over. As described above, he was extremely helpful and accommodating. Unfortunately by the time our friends turned up, another porter was on duty and kept pestering us that our guests need to leave. We had to pay the 600 rupees for "an extra guest" just to shut him up! The manager apologised profusely the next morning, but that wasn't going to bring back out money already spent and having to deal with a nuisance all of the night before.
As for the price, we were well aware that there is no such thing as a cheap, clean and well located hotel in Mumbai. In fact Mumbai proved to be more expensive than London for a clubbing weekend...! And while elsewhere in India a place like this would be a fraction of the price, we had to bite the bullet and fork out, as everywhere else would have just been even more money.

Overall, I'd be happy to revisit.

Room Tip: Go for the safe room as us, I think it was room 307: It's on the left hand side if the receptio...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank bittersw33t
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Located exactly opposite of Juhu Beach. Superb area to live in... Rooms were small but decent. No restro in the hotel however they managed the room service for food. Friendly staff but a bit unprofessional.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank anandbhatter
Reviewed 28 October 2012

We booked this as it was close to the airport and we had 10 hours between flights. As a place to store luggage it was just about acceptable. As a place to sleep - no. Grubby, shabby and unpleasant. At $69 on Agoda it was ridiculously overpriced. The manager on the desk was very helpful though. Juhu is a bit of a dump too and, apart from The Marriott, the so called five star hotels are more like 2-3 star soulless, tatty places.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank bessieoxford
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I arrived from Delhi early morning, and it was a bit difficult to the taxi driver to locate the hotel (no board with the name).

I was taken to a room upstairs which smelled heavily like humidity. I asked for another room. The man and the recption said that it is because of the rainy season, and that the smell will go away, but I said I will not stay there. Since it was around 9am, he told me that a room will be free from around 11pm and I could move there. In between, I could take a small, non-standard room. I agreed.

The small room I got had equally bad ventilation an a very strong smell. When I finally got the "better" room it wasn't much better, except because it had a small window facing the corridor (and once the cleaning staff just opened the courtain and stared at me in the room! -I am a female solo taveler and I felt EXTREMELY uncomfortable with leaving the window open ever since then). The rooms of the wall had dark spots of previous mildew, it was extremely unpleasant.

I spent the first night in that room after which the manager asked me if everthing was ok in the new room (No it was certainly not!), he offered me to take a "luxury" room and pay the difference. I said that for the price the room shall not have this kind of problems. He then offered me to switch my room again. The new one had a bigger window to the back side of the building. However, I was asked to keep the window closed during the night. That did not make things much better, but it improved the air in the room at least a bit.

The breakfast which was included was substandard and the worst was that it had to be eaten in the room! (there was no restaurant, and with the whole humidity it was very gross...)

The room cleaning was very good, except for the walls the room was always clean and tidy. I noticed that they sprayed something in the walls which covered the smell for a few minutes...

Perhaps this is only a rainy-season problem, but rooms with mildew are not only extremely unpleasant, but also not very healthy. I saw four rooms (!!) and all had this ventilation problem. Although the staff was very friendly and the location is excellent, it was absolutely not worth the money. Unfortunately, as I had booked thorugh agoda making the payment in advance, so I had no choice but to stay there. And the staff had also no choice but to keep giving me a new room, all with the same problems as I saw. Very bad experience.

Room Tip: Perhaps avoid the rainy season? And if you cannot, get one with a window. It won't make it much...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Kira S
Reviewed 25 May 2012 via mobile

Me and 2 friends stayed here in May 2012. It's an  oasis of calm on a bustling road, right next to Juhu beach. The staff are so lovely and very helpful. We were three girls travelling on our own and the staff went out of their way to make sure taxi's were booked for us etc (making sure to tell us the maximum to pay etc.) We had a basic room on the ground floor (there are 2 floors) which was perfect for our requirements.
If you want your room cleaned you must hand in your key in to reception as you leave for the day (we only realised this on day 2)
Although there's no bar or restaurant, there's a lovely rooftop bar next door and the hotel does room service breakfast which is inclusive.
There's a good swimming pool at the sea princess hotel 5 minutes away, you can use this for 500 rupees a day (£6) or if you want to splash out, visit the luxurious Novotel and spend the day in their pool for 1500 rupees a day - a lovely place to watch the sunset over a piña colada!
Location wise, it's approx an hour from the international airport, 30 mins from the famous Linking Road, 45 mins from Colaba Road which has a great market and outstanding architecture. If you fancy a night out, we went to a great club called Hype near Phoenix Mills shopping centre! Perfect mix of western and Indian music - and women get in free.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank DaisyDangermouse
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Hotel Beach Garden is in a courtyard set just off Juhu Tara Road, opposite the Ramada Plaza Palm Grove, in the Juhu Beach area, North Mumbai. Although you can't see the beach from the hotel, it's a 2 minute walk away. Prices are from 3260 rupees inc taxes for a standard room, including a very basic breakfast (tea/coffee/carton of orange juice; cornflakes or toast and jam or eggs). You can also order room service food at reasonable prices and decent hours.

The all male staff are lovely and helpful (if sometimes needing a push to think outside the box) and gave us a free upgrade and sorted out a rickshaw driver who was not honouring his metre... Beware of that as we'd never come across one before who, after we'd arrived, produced a price chart, showing that 130 on the metre meant 181 rupees!

The staff will help you with general tourist info and organise taxis if needed.

Rooms are decently maintained by India's usual standards. You'll get marked paintwork, a bit dusty in the corners and the wifi hardly ever works but always clean on the surface, pristine sheets and towels every day, bins emptied, floors swept, clean surfaces and fridge, etc. The beds are good, rooms are air conditioned and include fridge, TV, small table and two chairs, wardrobe and bedside drawers. We nosied at four rooms (as you do) and found most bathrooms are small but clean and perfectly adequate although water was more tepid than hot - so don't get excited if you get a room with a bath. There's a computer in reception which you can use for free internet.

The style of the hotel is pleasing and it's a good place to stay if you need to be in the Juhu Beach area, but the touristy area of Mumbai (where the sites are you'll probably want to look at) are about 40 mins by car (an hour by train) going South, down the beach.

My friend and I were at a seminar at The Sea Princess Hotel, a ten minute walk away - beautiful place with outdoor pool overlooking the beach - but above our budget even at a special delegate rate of 6500 rupees. Although if you're staying elsewhere you can (pay to?) hang out at the pool, apparently.

There are restaurants and coffee shops within a 20 minute walk up and down Juhu Tara Road, the road which runs parallel to the beach, and any shops you'll likely need. You must check out the beautiful Hare Krishna temple (called IKSCON) about a 20 minute walk away and also go inside the Hindu temple right opposite (go up the stairs inside to view all the God statues on each of the 7 floors - quite a sight!) Near the temples is the local people's outdoor shopping area where I bought street food and bindis - the locals will be pleased to see you.

A friend and I both spend a fair amount of time online looking for good hotel deals in the area and believe that, without wandering around with your luggage, haggling at random hotel receptions, this is the best you'll get for your money in the area as apparently Juhu Beach area is the posh end where all the celebs live - I didn't notice to be honest. I asked a seminar organiser what her hotel was like - they were at the Ajanta - and she screwed her face up and shook her head. Of course if you have a bigger budget get to a luxury beach hotel (I stumbled upon the Marriot - Jesus Christ, you should see the place!) but on a more modest budget I think you'll be pleased with the Hotel Beach Garden.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business