“Lot of Improvement Areas”
Review of Imperial Palace

Imperial Palace
Ranked #433 of 458 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I had to stay in this great hotel as booked through my exhibition agent. The place is great- the location, buildings, surrounding areas, decor etc. are excellent. This place could be an ideal match for someone looking for a perfect retreat from the bustling crowds of city life and want stay in a calm place for meditation/vacation. However, this place may not be the perfect stay for business travelers. While the hotel offer many upscale advantages, but it comes with some associated downstage as well:
1. Location: It is located off the main town and commuting at night would be challenging. All the taxi drivers would refuse to take you to this hotel after say 8/9 pm as the place gets calm and the driver would not get a return passenger. Commuting to the town and business places is costly if you take hotel taxi or even make pre-arranged taxi. You can not just walk out of the hotel and call for a taxi.
2. No ATM. There is no ATM or money exchange at the hotel. So, you will have travel miles to go to nearby spot.
3. Evening Stroll. No way as the place become real dark and scary after sunset.
4. Amenities. Most of the amenities are closed after 7 pm, restaurants closes after 10:30 pm and after that if you want these services, you will have travel 30-40 minutes by taxi to reach nearest place.
5. Taxi time. The narrow road going through milk colony some time remains clogged with traffic and you are unlucky then you are stuck for 30-60 minutes.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank aaniis

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Just Avoid !! We had a very bitter experience.
Bad location- Taxis and autos don't come here and charge you extra if they come.
Worst food- Worst quality food and super expensive. They try to rob you as there are no alternatives. Better avoid eating here as I the hygiene levels are very bad. Plates and spoons are not washed properly.
Bad and smelly rooms- Leaking walls and roofs, peeling wall paper, fake paintings, eerie feeling, bad smell due to fungus and molds. The way to the rooms to were crappy and all fake.Our room lock was not working the whole two nights we stayed.
No Star hotel- Wonder why they call it 5 Star.
Super bad Staff- Day one- we complained locks were not working, the staff said sorry.
Day two - same story.
Day three, we left, same story.
Same with Wifi. We were fed up and they just say sorry and laugh at your back.
Later they stopped picking phones when we called.
One pathetic hotel which I feel should not have existed.

Room Tip: Please avoid this hotel at all costs.. I will not stay at this hotel even if some one pays me.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
10  Thank Shiv2011Bangalore
Reviewed 6 December 2011

The building and decor are grand.The owner/developer had a great idea while putting up the hotel.However on getting there one notices the lack of efficiency and neglected facilities.Nothing works and the one restaurant that is operational serves Indian buffet for breakfast!On request for an egg or pancake one is told that it is not possible to get one and so you have to drive out to get something to eat even though you have paid for bed and breakfast.On our first night there was only one waiter taking orders and on the following morning there was only him and with no manager to make requests to.Though the bed was good the room was dump,with the internet malfunctioning, the fridge,the tv as well the shower flooding and the jacuzzi removing scaly stuff from the nozzles.We did get an egg breakfast on white toast on the second day after my husband threatened to storm the kitchen but that is after we had to clear the tables of plates and left over breakfast for ourselves!I have not mentioned that on the first evening we came to the restaurant to have supper and the first thing we saw was a cat on one of the tables eating off some plates that were not removed from the tables and on the sixth floor there were used plates with left over food that stayed outside a room for 2 days despite my informing a waiter and front desk officer.Pity the young honeymooners who had been fooled by the website as we had been.Were we glad to leave the place!

Room Tip: Im lost. No guidance
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank wangzmk
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I was looking for a luxury stay within the city limits & jumped to the Imperial palace option. Two points that made me choose was - Stars rated & the proximity. I booked after speaking on the phone & getting a decent deal.
As the place is on my way of daily commute to office, i just casually thought of checking the place especially as i had a small kid with me. I was shocked by the view, the access roads are pathetic (in the midst of slums) & the hotel itself was not at all maintained properly. The entrance to the locality is really poor. The lady at the reception offered ot take me around the hotel & show me the rooms. the corridor that I walked thru was poorly maintained, slabs of walls were hanging. The room itself wore a very poor state, had that damp smell which just confirmed that maintenance was pathetic.
I immediately cancelled my reservation & started searching for a better spot.

I believe to stay in a hotel which offers me more luxury & comfort & this definitely dd not match at least my standards. Proper maintenance of the place & the locality will definitely change my thoughts about this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Chidamber P
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Had been over here for 2 days but had to extend my stay. It was a worth to stay at such a wonderful place. Far away from the city crowd. The people over there are warm and friendly..The dining experience was awesome. In short the best stay I had till date.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank mur2krish
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Massive building saturated with frills, cheap and gaudy paintings, stuffed with all kinds of statues without any taste - the ambience is actually very disturbing. Add to that the very unprofessional staff, the whole experience of staying here was a nightmare. I was doing a 2-day workshop with an ad agency and one of them rightly remarked: "This is a typical example of surplus money with severe taste deficit."

The location is beautiful. Instead of splurging on totally tasteless frills, if they invested more in hiring professional staff and offering better service they are likely to do much better.

As it is the hotel does not deserve a star rating.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank CorporateTheatre
Reviewed 28 August 2011

I travel to mumbai quite often on Business, and it was unbelievable to stay in an actual PALACE. Reminded me of heritage properties in Rajasthan, and the hospitality was also Excellent !! Kudos

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business