“Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me !” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sampan

Sampan
Ranked #476 of 14,402 Restaurants in Mumbai (Bombay)
Price range: US$10 - US$60
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me !”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We ordered suimai/dumplings steamed veg ones....supposed to be moist and succulent were dry and the covering had to be chewed like it was rubber....as if they were already prepared n frozen n then microwaved before being served ..AWFUL !
The veg claypot was the worse thing I hv ever tasted...looked like their chef had dumped the Maggi masala to flavour the veg rice claypot....I feel like paying people to not eat there as a social good deed....Terrible food....but yes service was prompt as if they were in a hurry to offload their garbage on us.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

• Turkish first
“Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Located at Novotel (previously Holiday Inn) in Mumbai, this is one of the best restaurants for Chinese food. Would suggest one should go there with prior reservation as the waiting time can be long. Quality of food is very good, so is the service. Good options on the menu. Sampan chicken and Chachu Paneer are two of my favourites. It was an enjoyable experience!!!!

• Visited February 2013
“Service needs improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

The review has been long over due, had gone to Sampan with my wife as it is a favorite of her family. Located in Novotel (which was previously Holiday Inn), facing Juhu beach, Sampan is an oriental restaurant; it has been there since the Holiday Inn days & is some what of an institution, with a loyal following.

Upon entering there was no hostess at the desk, she was assisting another guest, one of the captains greeted & seated us.
It was 15 min before the hostess approached us, greeted us, gave us the menu & asked us for our water preference; which for a restaurant that was not very busy was a bit strange. The menu itself is very extensive & all the dishes sounded mouthwateringly delicious. Our order taker was excellent! He was very good at recommending dishes & knew about the portion sizes of all the dishes. We ordered the Chicken hot pot, Vegetable hot pot & a chicken starter for food & a fresh lime soda (sweet & salty) & a Diet Pepsi; I was promptly informed that there was no Diet Pepsi; which I found very strange as its a 5 star hotel with multiple Food & Beverage Outlets; more over I saw it being served to a larger group; twice!!! I settled for a 7 UP.

Before I meal came they gave us some boiled peanuts in a soya sauce & pickled cucumbers; the peanuts were very tasty however they had used English cucumbers for the pickled cucumbers & had forgotten to remove the skins, not very appetizing!

The drinks came on time; however there was no straw for my wife's fresh lime neither was there any sugar syrup nor any salt to all to that the glass was dirty!!! We promptly complained to the waiter; who replied "Its red paint" (Like I care what it was, just apologize & get it replaced). The next time it came less sweet more salty! Its amazing how much quality of the 5 star staff has dropped!!! If you cannot make a fresh lime soda, then what can you make? We decided it was pointless complaining & it was better that we shared my 7 UP.

The food arrived as requested; all together & was excellent!!! The clay pot dishes were wholesome & extremely flavorful, the chicken starter was also great, the chicken was perfectly cooked & was a delight to the palate! I can clearly see that people come for the food & not for the service!!!

Overall its a great place, the prices are a bit steep but considering the fact that its a five star its understandable. However the service needs a huge amount of improvement! The service & the bartending is definitely not 5 star!!! I would rather go to my old favorite Dynasty or Wanton House if I wanted to have a great Chinese meal & reasonably good prices.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rohit K
“Most horrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Our dinner at sampan restaurant was ny worse experience. Poor service, horrible food and unfriendly staff...Certified as most horrible Chinese fiod ever. .. my family was gifted with stomach infection after our visit.

1 Thank shakerattle79
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Very good food, decent ambience, VFM”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

Very good Chinese food. Tried vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. The prawn dishes were great. Recommend the chilli prawns on a sizzler plate. The pomfret in black bean sauce was the only let down in an otherwise great gastronomic experience. The billing had discrepancies...got billed for an iced tea that I didn't order. The sunday lunch also had some nice distractions for kids so that you can enjoy your lunch. Recommend a visit.

• Visited September 2013