“Great atmosphere”
Review of Cafe Zoe

Cafe Zoe
Ranked #96 of 14,536 Restaurants in Mumbai (Bombay)
Price range: US$9 - US$19
Cuisines: European
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Went there with friends + family. The first impression of this place is "where are we"? Located in a back street, you enter and feel at the right place. Layout/furniture are great and music suits well.
Food offering in nice and wines have good quality/value ratio. Sevice is a bit disorganised and the atmosphere covers all.
Go there with friends either sitting in the sofas (more comfy) or directly at the bar with your second half.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank Freezrick

• Korean first
New Delhi, India
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I visited Cafe Zoe with a customer of mine recently in Mumbai. The first thing I liked about this place is that the minute you walk into the restaurant, you see a crowd which is all nice and sophisticated and its a place where I personally like to be.

The food was simply amazing and one of the main things for this is that the Chef is also a stake holder in the restaurant. And he was personally there overlooking every meal. I really liked this.

I had the Orange juice (Malta) Chicken Wings, Chicken Liver Patte as starters and then had lamb stew with couscous which was simply amazing. My customer had a Chicken burger with bacon and that was awesome too...i could not resist taking a bite from him. Loved it!!

I highly recommend this place to anyone who likes to have good food in a nice environment around nice people.

One recommendation is to make a reservation as the place is majorly packed.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank Pawansahni
mumbai
“Cafe Zoe- Fantastic Food, Converted Warehouse into a Chilled Out Hanging Place but Indifferent Management and Services”
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Cafe Zoe sounds very interesting and the place in terms of ambience doesnt disappoint too.
A converted Warehouse/Mill area with huge ceilings and casual seating area is pretty appropriate for the area the restaurant is located in.

i had read and heard about the limited menu and yes compared to other places, the menu is pretty limited but whatever is there on it- is delicious!

we were a huge group of about 22 people celebrating my sister's surprise birthday party and had pretty much most of the food from the Menu and the Specials of the Day both veg and non veg.
the Mocktails were very nice too.

The Chef doesnt encourage experimenting nor entertains requests for variations or out of menu Dishes which is a pity because today that is the requirement du jour for any restaurant.

i completely agree wiht the other reviews that the staff answering the phones are extremely rigid and unrelenting. i wanted a 9 pm table the first time i called and was flat out refused citing table reservations only for 8.30 pm and 10.30 pm inspite of informing the reason for visiting the restaurant. i was told even if i wanted a table at 9.00 pm i would ahve to vacate at 10.00 pm!
to my surprise it is the Restaurant Manager only who is so inflexible. After pushing some and asking to speak to the Chef/Owner did i get the reservation for 9 pm and would be allowed to bring in the bday at mid night.

yes, the service is pretty sloppy, uncaring and the waiters are so damn stuffy themselves!
i had to actually give the waiter in charge of our table a dressing down and state in clear terms what is epxected out of them considering we are spending a lot of money at their restaurant.

it seems wierd that for a new restaurant - the Management and Staff of Cafe Zoe are very casual of their service and approach. Is it arrogance or over confidence on the product or lack of training and exposure of the staff that makes such a nice place a low on List of Restaurants for Repeat Visits.

My sister loved the place and the food so it was worth the money spent but leaves a sort of disatisfaction at the end.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank chaitaly
London, United Kingdom
“Cafe Zoe. Bombay changing?”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

There are some things I just don’t get. I don’t get the Indian man’s obsession with adjusting his balls in public. I don’t get the RJs on Bombay radio. And I just don’t get restaurants that hide average food and poor service behind free Wi-Fi and cool interiors.

The last time I was in Bombay, the city was going gaga over celebrity spotting at Hakkasan, and Table remained non-five star restaurant of choice. This time round there was a new name I ran into everywhere. Cafe Zoe. Bombay waxed eloquent about how cool it is. How NYC the vibe is. How much they loved hanging out there. A “really lovely girl”, some expat, and the former chef of one of Bombay’s hottest restaurants have come together and the city was in love with a new restaurant all over again.

Instead of hiding its mill ancestry, Café Zoe celebrates it. Even though slightly reminiscent of the look that The Bowling Co. created 13 years ago, Café Zoe’s design is definitely cool. The furniture is simple, there is a decent bar against one wall and sofas against another. What I liked a lot about this restaurant was the tons of natural light that streams in through the skylights. Oh, and the loo is pretty cool too.

I’m afraid that is all I really liked about Café Zoe.

As a single diner, I was seated at the bar. I usually prefer this, but their bar stools are not high enough and I spent my entire meal adjusting and readjusting myself to try and eat my meal comfortably. In between swatting flies that swarmed the bar. I started with a Fresh Black Grape Caipiroska (Rs. 450). Really well priced, but was sickly sweet and I couldn’t taste the alcohol. I waited twenty minutes for the first of my bar snacks to arrive – Roast Veg Arancini (Rs. 210) served with an unfortunate tomato sauce. I dare you to say it tastes of anything other than a tart gujju pizza sauce. The arancini on its own is nicely cheesy but under-salted; this is probably deliberate given the way the tomato sauce assaults your taste buds. Many minutes later my other snack, Pulled Pork Brioche (Rs. 285), arrives. I did away with the cucumber slice it came with, wiped away the excess mustard that killed all other flavours and then went on to semi-enjoy this dish.

The best dish I ordered was the Truffle Capellini (Rs. 550). Exactly what it says on the menu. No fuss and all flavour.

Just when I was getting ready to forgive the flies, poor flavours, haphazard service and multiple requests for the Wi-Fi code going unanswered, it all came crashing down with the dessert. First they misplaced my order, then the Panna Cotta (Rs. 150) arrives and tastes of smelly custard, and then the Americano (Rs. 75) arrives in a smelly cup.

Spend 10 minutes here and it is plain as day why people flock to Café Zoe. The pretty ones – film maker, ad guy turned hot actor turned activist turned actor, society food columnist, fashion store owner – feel like they have come to a members-only private club; and the wannabe pretty ones… well, they just wanna be part of this private club. Neither care about the average food, the abundant flies, or the appalling service. All they care about is the “vibe”.

I go to restaurants for one of two reasons: great food, great service. Ideally both, but definitely one. Everything else is gravy. Everyone I knew used to want this too. When did this change? Why have (supposedly) fewer options given way to an acceptance of mediocrity? Does the mediocrity stop at our resturants? When did Bombay go soft?

• Visited April 2012
5 Thank TableforOne_PV
mumbai
“bad location but very good ambience”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

When i was taken to Cafe Zoe, the more inside we were going in the lane, the more apprehensive I was getting as to the quality of the place.
But the moment I entered all my worries ended right at the gate.

The place is very comfortably made and though we had gone there for a simple dinner with our family I was quite surprised to see it near full on a monday night.

the waiters were quite helpful and we got good service.

the appetisers were good. the greek salad had more of leaves and less of feta cheese but on our request he got us some more.

the berry smoothie was so good that we ordered a repeat of the same.

the gnocchi was the worst item from our order. somehow they have managed to mess up the thing. i think they have fried the same!

the canneloni and the fettucine were up to the mark though.

in the desserts the tiramisu was good but would have been better if it would havebeen more cold .
the lemon shorbet was toooo sour for our liking so we could not finish it.

but all in all a good place to go after work for a relaxed time !

• Visited May 2012