“Too many annoying glitches”
Review of The Lalit Mumbai

The Lalit Mumbai
Ranked #17 of 489 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed 13 December 2012

This hotel promotes itself as 5-star deluxe. On my most recent visit, it did not measure up to the 5-star service I’ve received at other Indian hotels. Several minor annoyances combined to give me the impression that the management has some serious work to do before they can legitimately reclaim a fifth star.

Within 15 minutes of my arrival, the staff made three, easily avoidable errors that were particularly annoying because they delayed me when I was in a hurry to get to a meeting. First, due to the desk clerk’s failure to follow standard procedure and ask my room preference, they put me in a very smelly smoking room. When I objected to the odor, the staff member who had shown me to the room called downstairs to get it changed, and that process took quite some time.

Second, although I told the desk clerk that I wanted my bags immediately, they were not sent. I had been waiting seven minutes since checking in, so I decided to go back to the ground floor to get the bags myself. There they were, sitting by the concierge station with various staff members standing around nearby. I took my bags, stopped at the front desk to explain to the clerk that “immediately” does not mean seven minutes later, and since the key to my replacement room had finally reached me, I went to wash and dress for my meeting.

Third, I was in the bathroom preparing to shower, when I heard someone saying hello through the intercom on my room telephone. It was the duty manager, who wanted to apologize for the problem and offer me something to make it up to me.

I give the hotel credit for that – at many establishments, they believe that merely saying “sorry” cures all ills (it doesn’t). However, even in trying to do the right thing, the duty manager compounded my problem. He didn’t ask me if it was a good time to talk (it wasn’t), he was misinformed about the nature of the problem, he called the problem a “misunderstanding,” as if I were partly to blame for it (it wasn’t a misunderstanding; the errors were both on the hotel staff’s part, and my instructions to the desk clerk had been clear), and the gift he offered me, a pass to happy hour in the Luxury Lounge, was of no value to me that night, as I was going to be out during their 6-8 pm happy hour (also, I don’t drink, which lessens the value). I told him that he was taking my precious time, and that he should write me a note, which he did, and I found it that night, slipped under my door along with the pass.

By chance, I was able take advantage of the Luxury Lounge happy hour the following evening. The snacks on offer were above average, and it was nice not to have to pay, but the real value of the place was clearly in the liquor. The lounge did not measure up to other 5-star lounges that I’ve visited in India for food or décor.

On my last morning at the hotel, there were two more annoying glitches. A minute or two after I answered my charming, polite, live wake-up call, my phone started broadcasting Muzak, presumably as the result of an automated wake-up call. I lifted the receiver and hung up. One minute later, it happened again. When it happened a third time, I placed the receiver next to the phone until it gave the phone-off-hook signal, and the Muzak calls stopped.

Room Tip: Make sure you get your preference Smoking vs. Non-Smoking. Also, on the side farthest from the lifts...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Sudhendu P, General Manager at The Lalit Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your valuable insights and candid feedback.

Kindly accept our most sincere and profound apologies for the dissatisfaction and inconvenience caused to you on account of various issues which resulted in inadequate value being delivered to you.

We have taken up your feedback seriously with the concerned teams for a review of our operating procedures and immediate corrective action thereof. Much as we strive to serve our valued customers with highest and consistent standards of service, we regret that we have not been able to measure up to your expectations this time. May we request you to consider this as an aberration not reflective of our regular service standards and not to let this be an indelible perception.

We would certainly make amendments in our operating processes and procedures so as to let our customers have a pleasant experience always and maintain confidence in the services of our hotel.

We hope you will not hold this experience against us and will offer us another opportunity to look after you in a manner that you expect and so rightfully deserve.

With renewed apologies,

General Manager, The Lalit Mumbai

Write a ReviewReviews (2,514)

Reviewed 12 December 2012

We stayed again at this hotel, hotel was very busy then, we got our preferred room, the employees are good with helping attitude, I had called manager and asked for flower bouquet to be arranged at 0530am he did confirmed also sent me small cards to write my message along with 4 different colour pens that was very thoughtful. I always enjoyed the buffet specially Sea food they have it on one of the days.
Pool was in open, though we did not use in our previous visit, this time we were relaxed, very quite and relaxing area.
Overall a great stay I wil definetly recommend people to stay, it's one of the good hotel near airport.

Room Tip: Choose nonsmoking pool facing rooms.

Thank you for taking time and posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

It was a privilege to have you stay with us at The Lalit Mumbai. We are glad to learn that you were happy with our staff and services at our hotel. I have shared your feedback with my entire team. Your word of appreciation is a source of motivation and encouragement for us and the team of The Lalit Mumbai will continue to strive to add more value and comfort to your future stays.
We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you again at The Lalit Mumbai.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

We stayed there for the last night of our trip to India due to it's proximity to the airport. The hotel is very grand and everything you would expect from a 5* hotel in India. Everything about the hotel is perfect although as with all hotels like this in India the costs of the onsite bar and restaurants are extremely high.

Wifi is not included, which I find amazing given we stayed in accodation costing a tenth of this hotel and were provided with free wifi.

Overall this is an amazing hotel with excellent staff and services, however if you're looking for value for money use the room and the pool but eat\drink outside the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Sudhendu P, General Manager at The Lalit Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

12th December 2012

Thank you for taking time and posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

We have made a note of your observation about providing Wifi services free of any charge and we will review our pricing policy shortly.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

I have spent only a few hours during a night connection in Mumbai.
What a spectacular lobby, great room, comfortable bed, very nice staff.
I felt sorry for not staying longer to experience this very nice hotel.
warmly recommended....
the only thing is that it a called an airport hotel but it is around 15-20 minutes drive out of the airport.....

Room Tip: use the pick up and dropp off service
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Sudhendu P, General Manager at The Lalit Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2012

11th December 2012

Thank you for taking time and posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

It was a privilege to have you stay with us at The Lalit Mumbai. We are glad to learn that you were impressed with the lobby and happy with the room, comfort of bed & overall services at our hotel. I have shared your feedback with my entire team. Your word of appreciation is a huge motivation and encouragement for us and the team of The Lalit Mumbai will continue to strive to add more value and comfort to your future stays.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

We have booked banquet for 28th Nov 2012 for whole day for wedding and reception purpose.
As the banquet staff very irresponsible and very lazy to reply for any thing..
We were asking for rooms booking, even on that they took a week to reply.
Our wedding waz in afternoon and reception late eve, in betwn we were booking arnd 15 rooms in hotel for our guests one month before the event, the staff replied they will give us the rooms on the day of event on availabilty basis.
Is it possible for us to shift the guests to other place during the event.??
For such irresponsible and bad service we cancelled the event.
The banquet sales manager promised us she will refund us the amount of Rs One lakh as deposit taken by hotel on booking the banquet, if she gets another booking on 28 Nov, the same date we cancelled our event in hotel.
They got the booking for same day and they donot refunded our amount taken as deposit

Very sad to say the hotel cheated us.

Very bad experience...

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

The delay from the team of Catering Sales in responding to your various requests is deeply regretted. We surely could have responded faster than what we did. Kindly accept our most sincere and profound apologies for the dissatisfaction and inconvenience caused to you.

We have taken up your feedback seriously with the concerned teams for a review of our operating procedures and immediate corrective action thereof. May I please draw your attention to the fact that after the agreement / contract for utilization of banquet space on the said date at our hotel was signed between both parties, we have made every effort to abide by the provisions of the agreement / contract in its entirety.

We hope you will not hold this experience against us and will offer us another opportunity to be of value and service to you.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

Hotel is great! Rooms are clean very karge and suitable for family stays. Foods you can find dependes on your choses.Prices is normal for five stars hotel. Swing pool was outside. Service quality was excelent.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

11th December 2012

Thank you for taking time and posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

It was a privilege to have you stay with us at The Lalit Mumbai. We are glad to learn that you were happy with the room, quality of food & overall services at our hotel. I have shared your feedback with my entire team. Your word of appreciation is a huge motivation and encouragement for us and the team of The Lalit Mumbai would like to continue adding more value and comfort to your future stays.

Reviewed 8 December 2012

From the time I was dropped by cab till getting to room, process of checkin was smooth, the staff was courteous & forthcoming. Since I was booked in club room, I was immediately escorted to the Club lounge on 6th floor for completing formailities. I felt like I have come back home.
The room was good, spacious & nicely done, more than that it gave a welcoming feeling. It had all necessary amenities & was well designed making use of colors & lights. Since the window of my room was east facing, the morning view was quite impressive. The location is close to airport. Since I was booked in club room hence had access to club lounge which provided lot of amenities like tea, coffee, breakfast, happy hours, snacks etc. The lounge was also very impressive & beautifully done.
The way the hotel is designed was different from other hotels I have stayed & I was bit impressed. The corridors were all facing lobby/reception. On one side there was big modern picture depicting Lord Shiva's shiva-ling, Lord Ganesha. It gave a very positive feeling. Also on ground floor there were two showers & big sitting area. Out of four lifts, two were facing towards that big nice picture & showers at gorund level which was nice to see.
The restaurant at lobby level was facing swimming pool which was a nice view.
The best what I liked was the way hotel & rooms are designed, courteous staff & overall positive environment.
What I didn't like was(which one cannot avoid) was that it is surrounded by area where construction is happening hence outside view from room is not that appealing.

Room Tip: Rooms with windows which are facing east gives good view during sunrise. Also one can select rooms o...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Sudhendu P, General Manager at The Lalit Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2012

10th December 2012
Thank you for taking time and posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

It was a privilege to have you stay with us at The Lalit Mumbai. We are glad to learn that you were happy with the Club room, Club Lounge & its amenities, ambience of hotel, courtesy of staff and overall positive environment at our hotel. I have shared your feedback with my entire team. Your word of appreciation is a huge motivation and encouragement for us and the team of The Lalit Mumbai would like to continue adding more value and comfort to your future stays.