“Massive property, not the best location”

Renaissance Mumbai Convention Centre Hotel
Ranked #29 of 447 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Singapore, Singapore
“Massive property, not the best location”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The only time I ever get to this property is when our company has either a convention/workshop. I was told by a staff member that this is Renaissance's largest property in Asia which is quite believable as you navigate your way through.

The hotel is well done-up and the rooms are comfortable. Breakfast at the Italian restaurant was a generous buffet and the food was quite good.

However the location is a challenge, if you want to be close to the tourist attractions and hangouts as its located in one far corner of the city and traffic being what it is in Bombay, it will take hours to get anywhere. On the positive side, its quite close to the International airport.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Stayed in this property on 25th March. This was my 3rd stay here and by far the most unhappy experience of all.

The property is beautiful externally but people inside have got some issues.

I buy Marriott membership which gives me a complimentry stay of 1 night. But when I try to book for my preferred day, I am talked to as if I am asking room for free. Least to mention not continuing with Marriott membership any more.

Check in was good, although thought considering that we were for celebrating 2 imp occassions, pramod at front desk could have given a lake view room. Never asked for it, but was given last year without asking.

Swimmimng pool was terrible. Couldnt see even 1 feet ahead under water even with wearing the swimming water gear.

After handing over buffet vouchers to captain, was made to sit at 2 person table with my wife.. Always prefer table for 4 for comfort. But as said earlier, staff feels voucher means free, no one cares to tell them its pre paid. Restaurant had many tables free. Ordered appam from live counter, got it after 20 mins, not to mention mine was the first after ordering it.

Cake and Wine arrived as expected. Good job room service.

Was having issue with cell network, so made a phone call. Spoke for 10 mins paid 500 . Thats for a local call.

Housekeeping keeps on knocking door early morning if u fail to put a dnd. Was wondering how they didnt know I am checking out and were eager to make my room.

Overall: Not a Renaissance Experience.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are good.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Sheidari, General Manager at Renaissance Mumbai Convention Centre Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review about the Renaissance on Trip Advisor and we value your feedback as it helps improve our standards. I duly understand the inconveniences faced by you during this stay. Your feedback regarding the lapse in different services have been put ahead to respective teams for necessary actions. We look forward to welcoming you again at The Renaissance Mumbai to showcase the true standards of our hospitality. Do write in to me for your next visit and would personally ensure you have a flawless stay.

Warmest regards,
liverpool
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Having spent the last 2 weeks travelling around india for business I stayed in a number of hotels nad have various expectations of service, quality etc.

Honestly the Renaissance did disappoint when it came to service. I have stayed in various Marriotts throughout the world and Mumbai wasn't as up to scratch as i expected.

The staff are friendly however sometimes speed is needed especially when requested. A remember that we were leaving for the airport had to be given a few times in order to speed up some quick snacks.

The pool is beauitful and the view amazing from my hotel room so I will certainly acknowledge that.
The buffet breakfast was fantastic, tasty and excellent choice.
However having to chase my laundry and having to speak to the manager to get a late check out with out being charged did take the shine off.

One thing that could have been improved was on check in advising guests what the hotel offered in the form of resturatants, time the bar stays open to etc.

I will be returning in the future and will hopefully have a longer period of time to access if what i experienced was just a one off.

i do tihnk for the cost of the hotel the service could have been much better.

However I do look forward to me next trip

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the towner overlooking the pool - beautiful
Dear Guest,
I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the breakfast service and other services that the hotel had to offer.
I regret the inconveniences faced by you. Your feedback is valuable and we will take the necessary actions to make sure that your next trip is a memorable experience.
Thank you once again for your feedback and I look forward to the next opportunity to showcase the true color of our hospitality. Do write to in me for your next visit so that we can make it a flawless one.

Singapore
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Renaissance Hotel is affiliated to the Mariott group.The rooms are good and large as in many good hotels across India.The views(lake facing was excellent).Approach to the hotel is up a slope.
Service can be improved in the Hotel,as from my perception-the staff are selective in providing service including basic greetings.They do not even know that the terminal can be used to book e tickets apart from boarding cards.(Actually a good service but staff kill it)
The travel costs are outrageous if booked from the Hotel.However upon request they do assist with external travel options at the door.
Concierge staff are good and helpful.The spa is good.Buffet Breakfast is massive and choices are plenty.My recommendation avoid the coffee if you can.
When I checked in the TV was not working,attended next day upon complaint and again required attention.The wake up call service just did not happen the first day.

Room Tip: Choose the Lake View Rooms
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback about the Renaissance Mumbai Hotel and Convention centre. It gives me great pleasure to see that the view and the rooms at the hotel were to your liking.
Further, I thank you for your feedback and will ensure the necessary action to make sure that we serve you better on your return. I regret falling short of your expectations on some of our services.
As for the travel services, we understand that we are competitively priced in relation with the recent fuel hikes. Do write in and let me know of your next visit so that we can make it a flawless one.

Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

What I liked:
Attentive, friendly staff consistently going extra mile for guests
Better than average executive lounge (free with elite status) & gym/spa (also free) for this hotel class
High quality dining options
Gorgeous, expansive grounds with lakeside setting, featuring 2 pleasant pools
Excellent climate control in room; quiet fan with tight temp regulation
Free upgrade to lake-facing room with elite status
Better than average wifi free to elite guests, though signal strength fades on side of room toward window

What I didn't:
20 min rickshaw ride to nearest train station, 1 hour journey to downtown
Not in a walking area; rickshaw or cab required to visit local shops/restaurants
Slower than average elevators (ok, this is a nit)
Multiple maintenance issues with room, though hotel quickly fixed them all upon request

Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for reviewing the Renaissance hotel on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to know that the hotel and our services helped your relax and made your stay with us comfortable. Renaissance being located in the midst of nature serves as a get away from the busy city life at the same time offers the opportunity to explore the frenzied life style in Mumbai. As the city is spread out , some locations can be a good distance away. Having said that, I would request you to write in and let us know about your next visit so that I can have our chief Navigator personally help you out and assist you with places to explore with closer proximity. We look forward to welcoming you again at the hotel.

Rochester
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 6 weeks on business last year. First impressions were excellent. A car picked us up from the airport and hotel reception staff were informative, courteous and professional. Rooms were large and well equipped although a little damp feeling/smelling which we put down to the fact that it was the rainy season. My room steward arranged all my cosmetics neatly and my room was always cleaned to an excellent standard, with the exception of a cockroach in my bathroom sink and some wood splinters/shavings that were left behind after some unannounced repair work to my mini-bar cupboard which hung around for a few days. Laundry service was expensive and some of my new white lingerie came back grey. Breakfast food and waiting staff were exceptional. Cannot praise them highly enough. Dinner in the evening was great but AVOID the BUFFET! Children were allowed to run riot around the dining room touching, picking up, even licking and returning the food! The hotel car crashed one day on our way to the office, causing us some distress and minor injuries. The hotel handled this in a very disappointing way and wanted to charge us for the doctor that they called to check us out! They gave us a free bottle of wine, a free meal and a free massage to make up for the distress caused, but as we were eating in the Chinese restaurant another beetle (not a cockroach) trotted across the table in front of us! It was stamped on and we were told it hadn't come from the kitchen but from the linen cupboard, which I think was supposed to make us feel better!
On our last night, there was a group of young people in the pool until 3am making a lot of noise. Also, the influx of people meant that we couldn't get in a lift, so I went down the stairs which were filthy, littered with rubbish, ground in dirt, bits of old machinery and dangling wires.
Needless to say, I reported all these issues to management at the time. We were offered lots of apologies but also some excuses (especially around the state of the stairwells - how I wish I'd taken some photographs!). Anyway, at the end of it, we were offered a large number of Marriott reward points to make up for all our disappointments/issues which I thought was fair compensation overall. Looking back, the issues we had seemed enormous as we'd been a long way from home for a long time, but if I was told tomorrow that I had to go back to this hotel, I'd go and probably really enjoy it now I know what to expect.
Once again, highest of all praise to the Breakfast team who really looked after us! They would do any top hotel in any location anywhere in the world proud.

Room Tip: rooms at the front have a great view but overlook the pool which was a bit noisy some of the time we...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Louise M
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback about the Renaissance hotel. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the breakfast services and the other services that the hotel had to offer. It pleases me even more to see that you will be coming to us over your next stay and I look forward to making that a memorable one.
I regret the instances where you experienced a shortfall in our services and apologise that as a team we could not meet your expectations. Your feedback is important and has been forward to teams to take corrective actions. Do write in to me on your next trip so that we can make it a flawless one

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I have been visiting this hotel twice a year for business since 2007, due to the location and proximity to our office. Whilst the facade of reception and public areas are still immaculate and incredibly inviting, the rooms are starting to feel a little uncared for and dated.

My room on this trip was lake facing - spectacular powai lake never ceases to wow me - room 3026. The bathroom was unclean, shower head full of hair (!), surfaces around basin taps dirty and the carpet could do with a deep clean. Glasses in room aren't particularly clean either. I mentionned all of this to reception, which they courteously acknowledged..but the room didn't improve.

The only other minor whinge would be the deli "Bombay Express" - the title alone fails the trades description act. Please expect to wait 20-30 mins for a toasted sandwich and a coffee to take away.

Now for the great points - the pool area, grounds and views are fab. The staff are also always really friendly and attentive. Powai Lake with the water buffalo, and alleged crocodiles (we tried hard to spot them, but no luck) make it just a stunning location.

Renaissance, please just give the inside of the hotel rooms the attention they deserve.

Room Tip: Lake views are the way to go
Dear Guest,
Thank you for reviewing Renaissance hotel on Trip Advisor. I understand that we were not able to live up to your expectations on this stay and showcase the true color of our hospitality.
We appreciate your feedback as it helps improve our services. Your observations are truly valued and we will be sure to act upon the feedback. Do write in and let me know of your next visit so that we can make it a flawless one.