“Good but not amazing”

ITC Maratha, Mumbai
Ranked #7 of 486 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I wish I could give this place a rating somewhere between average and very good -- like "good".

I stayed here on two separate occasions this month. I chose this hotel because I was in transit and I wanted to be close to the airport. The hotel is about an hour away from south Mumbai where most of the shopping and attractions are. I am Starwood Gold and at check-in he said I was "upgraded" to the "Tower" "16th floor" (which is really the 6th floor -- I don't understand the strange numbering system and the "Tower" is a type of room, not a separate tall building). However, the room was the exact room that I had booked, not really an "upgrade". Their definition of "upgrade" includes being put on a higher floor, not necessarily a higher class of room. I found this to be a half truth (kind of like the "16th floor" being really the 6th floor). Also at check-in the guy told me that wi-fi was included -- specifically that I should choose the second option when logging on. He failed to tell me that I could either choose to get the free wi-fi or extra Starwood points (I would've chosen the latter). I ended up using the wi-fi for about a minute and only in my room b/c it didn't work in the lobby. However, at check-out, they charged me for wi-fi because only the most basic, level one option for wi-fi was free, not the level two wi-fi which he had specifically told me to select. The rate for the wi-fi was exorbitant but they were nice enough to get rid of the charge. I also told him I was never given the option of either getting free wi-fi or extra Starwood points because I would've chosen to get the points. He basically said, I'll get rid of the charge but you're not getting the points, even though they had mis-informed me in the beginning.

On my first stay, I was in the "Tower" room. The room was moderately spacious and clean with a large dressing area and a large bathroom. The buffet breakfast was included in my rate and it was excellent.

On my second stay, I booked the ITC One room and that's what I got -- no upgrade. This room was huge -- very spacious, large sitting area, massage chair, dressing room, and gigantic bathroom. I had dinner at the Peshawri restaurant which was very expensive for Indian standards -- ~Rs 2000 (~$40) for one order of shish kebabs? Are you kidding me? The bill for two people was ~Rs 6600 (~$120) for two entrees, one coke and one beer. The food was delicious but very overpriced. It's fine if you're a business traveler and have an expense account. I was traveling for leisure with family.

The hotel probably has 6 different restaurants (good variety) but they all seemed pretty expensive. If you're booked in the ITC One room then you can go to the "happy hour" on the "15th floor" from 6pm-8pm which has open bar and pretty good appetizers. It's also in a nice space.

I think the hallways on the lower floors have been renovated -- Floors 11-14; floors 15 & 16 have not. You really wouldn't notice it too much because they're still pretty nice. I think the rooms will need updating in a few of years. The decor and architecture throughout the hotel is spectacular. Also ask for a room either facing the front of the hotel or the pool, not facing the slums. Although the rooms are pretty sound proof from outside noise, you can hear the morning Muslim prayers which are broadcast over loud speaker every morning in the bordering slums and that woke me up at around 6am every morning. That was bothersome. Some of my family who had rooms facing the front and pool did not hear anything.

I went to the spa for a facial which was good. The spa itself was under renovation and appeared to be very, very small or maybe parts of it were just blocked off. The sauna was also closed for renovation.

The staff at the front desk seemed friendly but a little clueless at times and they don't always communicate things clearly.

All in all, would I stay here again? Maybe -- but I'd go without any expectations. This place is probably better for business travelers with expense accounts. The room rate isn't so expensive but all the extras are. The service leaves a little to be desired. I might try the Hyatt across the street next time -- it looked very sleek and modern. I've stayed at the Leela near the airport which is pretty good. But if I wanted to be closer to downtown -- I'd stay at the Four Seasons. That place is amazing.

Room Tip: ITC One room, pool or front facing.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
ITC_MarathaMumbai, General Manager at ITC Maratha, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to convey your feedback.

We wish to acknowledge and have internally reviewed your feedback specifically relating to :

A. Communication of Internet Options at check in.
B. Associates at the front desk were friendly, but should communicate more clearly.
C. Prices at our restaurants.

We will have your SPG Bonus points credited to your account. May we request for your contact details.

We are also happy to have noticed your feedback on the Towers rooms, Buffet breakfast being nice and the food being very nice as well.

We will most certainly improve upon the issues you have conveyed.

Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (2,980)

Reviewed 28 February 2013

my elder bro stayed in room no.1206,so went there to meet him n his kids,the lobby was excellent,very good decor n lightings..as the passage area was complete with good n soft carpet..as i went to his room on 2nd floor( which they call 12th floor) i found it to be a very small room compared to all the other 5 star hotels that i have been..the swimming pool too is very small..we had buffet dinner at peshawari priced at 1650 + tax n found it to be more of non veg affair...the dessert were very nice but apart from that nothing much was there in the food section that could be talked about...the hotel looks huge from outside but i found it to be littlle squeezed from inside..the room staff or housekeeping staff was very prompt when we asked them to clean the room..the carvings n painting are a pleasent treat to eyes .the decor is very good..besides that it was nowhere near to the 5 star deluxe tag that the hotel is being rated

Dear Sir,

We thank you for taking the time to convey your feedback.

A. Size of the swimming pool.
B. Vegetarian selection in the buffet

We are also happy to have noticed your feedback on decor, promptness of the House keeping staff, and the artwork in the hotel.

We will most certainly improve upon the issues you have conveyed.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 27 February 2013

We were at ITC Maratha on 20th Feb and were taken back its Grand Decor, room and most of the staff. Specially impressed by Praful & his collegue at Residency Lounge who looked after us like Royals. Praful specially we found so knowlegable of hospitality business & customer care that it has persuaded to write this review. Location is perfect for Air travel & getting around Juhu, Andheri etc. Food selection too good and the Spa. My wife went in to try & ended up whole day having different treatments. If you in Mumbai, must visit this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
ITC_MarathaMumbai, General Manager at ITC Maratha, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor.
The entire team feels proud to read your compliments.
Your recognition of our product, Food & Beverage and other services are appreciated by all of us. It is our constant endeavour to offer our discerning travellers indigenous, luxury experiences through our commitment to quality service.
Your appreciation for our team members is truly rewarding.
Thank you once again for your recognition & we look forward to the pleasure of your continued visits.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

I stayed here with my family and the hotel staff did treat us very nicely. I am a Gold Starwood member so I got upgraded to a Deluxe Suite, and the breakfast buffet was excellent.
It is very close to the airport and still driving distance to all the shopping in Andheri, Bandra and Santacruz.
My teenager kids very very happy with the room and they could jot believe how any one can serve so many items in buffet.
Overall one of my favourite hotel to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a Club Lounge room or upgrade to deluxe if available.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
ITC_MarathaMumbai, General Manager at ITC Maratha, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Dear Guest,

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at ITC Maratha. We are also delighted to know that your family enjoyed the buffet spread at The Peshwa Pavilion, our 24 hour coffee shop. At ITC Maratha, we always strive to provide our guests with world class facilities and services.

We look forward to your next visit to ITC Maratha

Reviewed 20 February 2013

This is an excellent option in Mumbai if you want to stay close to the airport. I first came here almost 10 years ago and whilst I can notice some signs of tiredness, the building and interiors are still imposing and attractive. Rooms are a good size and well appointed. I love the restaurants, particularly Dakshin and Peshwari. Service is generally excellent if occasionally slow.This was a vibrant social scene a number of years back but I think now,if you are wanting a night of bar oriented entertainment, you will probably need to go out

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your honest feedback. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay as well as your dining experience at Peshawri and Dakshin Coastal at ITC Maratha. We are also glad that you had a comfortable stay in our well appointed rooms

We have acknowledged your feedback on the service and will ensure the same in not repeated.

We look forward to your next trip to ITC Maratha

Reviewed 13 February 2013

I had visited the Maratha as a part of a business trip to Mumbai. This is a good place to stay at, sufficiently close to the airport (about 20 minutes in non peak traffic), The ambience and interiors are excellent and pretty much catch your eye first up. The details in the room service, starting from the check in process, room design, hospitality are excellent. The breakfast spread was a good mix of continental, english and Indian. Loved the french toast, absolutely one of the best ones I have had in all my travels across the globe! Wish I had enough time to visit the spa which I have heard a lot about...but then guess I need to have something for the next time around :)

Must visit - Pan Asia restuarant. Even for a vegetarian like me, this place has some excellent choices and out of the world thai green curry.

Room Tip: if you are a lone woman traveller, there are floors which are exclusively allocated.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

We are absolutely delighted to know that you had a great time at ITC Maratha. The ambience and interiors of ITC Maratha has been inspired by the Maratha dynasty and we are happy to know that you liked it. The staff of ITC Maratha would be glad to know that you liked the service and stay at the hotel. This will only encourage them to perform better.

We are happy that you enjoyed the breakfast spread at The Peshwa Pavilion and the cuisine at Pan Asian. We would really want you to visit the spa on your next trip.

Looking forward to welcoming you soon at ITC Maratha.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

This is a beautiful hotel close to the airport. Staff is friendly; except at breakfast. Hotel is ideal for people with expense acct as the restaurants and alcohol in this hotel are ridiculously priced! $50 for 2 drinks from the minibar!!! If you are flying in from abroad swing by duty free at airport prior to your arrival.
We ate at Peshawari--- 2 Kebabs -- Rs 4000. --- ate at the same restaurant at the ITC Baroda--- it was 1/3 the price and the Kebabs were better.
If you need to rent a car just walk in front of the hotel there are 20-30 private cars with drivers parked on the street. Negotiate with them-- their prices are 50% cheaper than hotel prices.
Front desk isnt super helpful--- they don't care about making guests happy-- they just want to nickel and dime you... Even if you are Starwood Gold or Platinum. If there is a problem... People at the front desk have no authority.... They always call someone else.... Whisper some stuff on the phone... Then say it can't be done.
On my multiple stays here... Some guest is always upset at the front desk with the staff looking bewildered.

Hotel has done a great job depicting Maratha history and culture. It's like a museum.

I would still recommend this hotel if you want to be close to the airport.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback of your stay. It is most unfortunate that we did not live up to your expectation. It is our earnest endeavour that we offer you better services by trained personnel and upgraded product to ensure that you have a wonderful experience on your return in the future.
Request you to please treat your last stay as an aberration & provide us with the opportunity to have you back on your future visits to Mumbai.

With sincere regards,