“If you want a luxury Hotel....look elsewhere”
Review of The Leela Mumbai

The Leela Mumbai
Ranked #21 of 489 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Luxury, top quality service, attention to detail, etc are the things one associates with Leela or any other Luxury Hotels. BUT, thats not what you get at The Leela, Mumbai. The service is sloppy and rooms are run-down. My negative experience started from the moment you walk up to Reception, who took over 15 minutes to check-in, even budget hotels nowadays check you in - in under 5 minutes...the good ones will do the check-in at your room.

The rooms are small (maybe its Mumbai) but room is not at all modern day tech friendly, by that i mean that only plug/power points are on study table and none next to your bed-side...in the days were even every train seat has a power point its a little archaic of Leela.

I ate at there all day dining restaurant, which probably is the only good part. The food was good quality and the service was ok.

The only true advantage the Hotel has in terms of being 5 minutes away from the new airport terminal.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Ashish R, General Manager at The Leela Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Greetings from The Leela Mumbai

We would like to thank you for your feedback and please accept our sincere apologies for the unfavorable experience during your recent stay at our hotel.

As you are aware, that the Leela brand has a reputation of being one of the finest Indian Luxury Hotel Group and the same has been a result of relentless efforts put in by all stakeholders including discerning guests like yourself.

In order for us to preserve and uphold the above, we constantly endeavor to provide our guests a Signature Leela experience across all our offerings.

It is clear that we have fallen short on this occasion and I would like to assure you that all steps have been taken to ensure non-recurrence and we are confident that you would notice a marked improvement on all areas you have mentioned.

We would urge you to treat this as an one off incident and not let it mar your overall impression of our brand.

If there is anything more you would like to share with us, which can guide us to make you next stay more memorable and comfortable, we would be delighted to hear from you.

Ashish Kumar Rai

Write a ReviewReviews (2,287)

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Travelers be aware! This hotel is not what it used to be ... now they just want your money and you get very little for return.
Foreign flights usually get very early morning, so you get to hotel around 2-3am. Even if you stay only until morning they would charge you full room price. I have found out from fellow traveler that they make on the most rooms "double harvest".
Hotel is expensive and -- rooms are small, air-conditioning unit is not sufficient and very noisy.
There are many "customer service personnel" everywhere but they are helpless ... 'coz they have to always go to "manager".
I stayed in this hotel 20+ times in last 10 years ... but I reconsidered my loyalty

1  Thank NayiU
Ashish R, General Manager at The Leela Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Greetings from The Leela Mumbai.

We would like to thank you for your feedback and please accept our sincere apologies for the unfavourable experience during your recent visit to our hotel.

At the outset we would like to reiterate that we deeply value your patronage over the years and please be assured that no efforts would be spared to ensure that this relationship continues and strengthens further

It is clear that we have fallen short on this occasion and I would like to assure you that all steps have been taken to ensure non recurrence and we are confident that you would notice a marked improvement in the room as well as the service areas on your next visit.

If there is anything more you would like to share with us, which can guide us to make your next stay more memorable and comfortable, we would be delighted to hear from you.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I had stayed for three days and this is a excellant hotel for business travellers and overnight /latenight travellers as this property is close to the international airport. I was greeted by the hotel staff in the airport arrival area itself and was picked by a BMW to drop at hotel.security is very tight being mumbai however this is done for our safety only..front office staff were excellant and hotel rooms are also quite good with good orientation of the desk etc..there is a wide range of pillows to choose by and the hiusekeeping staff were very proompt in taking your needs.breakfast was excellant and the full glass view to the garden is excellant.swimming pool is in midst of the garden and wonderfullr done even a short stoll after dinner along the path is very wonderful.lounge is little small in comparison to other hotels of similar class however made good in the interior. Only thing was that WI-FI was chargable and I feel this to be in all rooms as mostly this is business class category people even in common areas they do not provide wi-fi. Three speciality restaurant in which one is aming the pool.onlr thing is that 11.pm the orders are closed and if you head after a long day you are left with ony the 24 hour cofee shop.overall excellant for business and quick short stay travellers.

Room Tip: Take as the top floors so garden view is very good
Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Yeskul S
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have stayed at the Leela Kempinski Mumbai on 3 seperate occassions over the past 7 years and each time i have had an excellent experience.

The restaurants are fantastic, the smell of insence when you arrive still conjurers memories of my stay. The staff are excellent, the location from the airport due to arrival times is great.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Greetings from The Leela Mumbai.

Thank you for your feedback and we are pleased to hear that you were satisfied with the overall experience at the hotel. We pride ourselves in providing our guests the Signature Leela experience and appreciation from guests further encourages and motivates us in our quest of providing luxury hospitality.

We are pleased to know that you liked our Dining offerings and our signature ambiance restaurants. Your appreciation of our associates motivates and encourages us further .

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Have used 3 Leela Hotels in last 6 weeks. Till now I was of opinion that Leela hotels were one of the best experiences in India. This impression was shattered by The Leela in Mumbai.
On arrival was left to collect my own baggage from scanner. Ok maybe everyone was busy.
Club Room comfortable albeit shower small.
It all went wrong when dining in Jamavar Restaurant.
Was shown to a table where there was dirt on table. The waiter saw it and covered it with a plate.
I tried to log in to internet and it said my room credentials were wrong,
I asked waiter and he got the restaurant manger over. Nelson told me that I would have to go to business centre to buy internet when the option to purchase on line didn't work. I said that was unsatisfactory and he asked to check my key card. He then said I was not checked in which was clearly not the case. I asked him to resolve it and he was unable. I asked to speak to the hotel manager -Anju - who then took 15 minutes to respond to me at my table. When there had been no response within 5 and 10 minutes I queried Nelson. He told me had asked her twice, but she was busy.
When she did arrive, she was apologetic, but failed again when she promised to investigate and bring back her business card. Several reminders later to the restaurant manager Nelson did not get her back. Later i received a call from her to say she had been busy with other guests. Clearly there are serious service issues in this hotel
Why stay at Leela hotels? I used to think because of service. Now I want to look elsewhere. Such a shame as my experiences of Leela hotels until tonight have been fantastic.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Greetings from The Leela Mumbai.

We would like to thank you for your feedback and please accept our sincere apologies for the unfavorable experience during your recent visit to our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Leela Mumbai.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Leela Hotel by Capt Krishnan Nair @ Mumbai is a rare piece of beauty in between the concrete jungle in Mumbai ,Its surrounded by trees which adds to its beauty. Rooms are good ,Lobby is well designed , Food served is mouth licking esp traditional sambhar,Assorted sea foods.Coconut dessert is a clincher .
But they lack a sensitive team to service the customer.You would be amazed to find that for a glass of water how many times you need to remind, Restaurant at lobby level is utterly confused set , every time you order a dish or a drink additionally 3 levels of checks done by diff managers to confirm order as if you are in Burj khalifa ordering a 12 lac dish . If your keys dont work you wont get assistance ,if you happen to get one they promise to get you a key but never turn back.At reception the lady gives preference to foreigners and request you to come after them ,even though you were first in queue.I believe such confusion is because of they hiring young trainees probably a cost saving strategy
I saw on TV Mr Krishnan Nair personally meeting customers ,that gives confidence it might be a temporary phenomenon and he can spot this deviation from his dream and plug this gap in service soon .
But i cant stop myself in rating it very good as its definitely a good infrastructure a good human element is the missing link

Room Tip: Take 2nd floor rooms which will help you enjoy the surrounding ,The top might give you a view of the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Ashish R, General Manager at The Leela Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Greetings from The Leela Mumbai.

It is clear that we have fallen short on this occasion and I would like to assure you that your feedback has been taken up with utmost seriousness by our team and all steps have been taken to ensure non-recurrence .

Reviewed 1 March 2014

I try not to be redundant, so just a few observations: the breakfast was outstanding, it was most welcome after 2 weeks in India. Wifi was not free, which I generally have a problem with in a hotel of this level, but at least there is a sensible pricing plan for 1 hour, 3 hours and longer. This made it more acceptable for me.
Finally, late check outs are important in Mumbai because the intercontinental flights leave after midnight. We tried to book a check-out at 8PM with an additional half-day charge. The hotel didn't accept it, they made it subject to availability. But there is a catch to it, I'll explain later. Meanwhile, while we were there we could keep our room until 5PM free of charge and we were appreciative for it. Leaving later would have incurred the half-day charge. The catch? The charge would have been at the daily walk-up-to-the-counter rate and not at the travel agency rate at which we had booked our room. This made the half day rate much more expensive the a full night rate!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Greetings from The Leela Mumbai.

Thank you for taking out your time to provide us the feedback as it is the barometer for us to measure our progress in our quest of providing luxury hospitality.

We are pleased to know that you liked our breakfast offering . We have also noted your comments with regards to our existing Check out policy .

Kindly be assured that we continuously strive to further refine our offerings and your suggestions would be implemented based on feasibility study which is being carried out on this aspect.