“India's Pride!”
Review of The Leela Mumbai

The Leela Mumbai
Ranked #18 of 447 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Bengaluru, India
“India's Pride!”
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Leela Kempinski is one of the finest hotel chain in India with extreme focus on hospitality. I have been here several time, now very comfortable and finding better/inner side of the Leela! Its highly recomended if you have not tried yet, offcourse location is advantage if you are frequntly traveling. My best wishes to the entire Leela team for the wonderful job and efforts to keep the flag high.....

Adhikari

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
saurabh_bakshi, Manager at The Leela Mumbai, responded to this review, 10 July 2010
Warm greetings from The Leela Kempinski Mumbai !

Thank you very much for recently staying at “The Leela Kempinski, Mumbai” and for taking the time to post your valuable feedback online. We are pleased that you have shared such a positive review of your visit.

It is rewarding for me to be able to share your review with my colleagues and for them to know their efforts helped enhance your stay with us.

We are honoured that you chose “The Leela Kempinski, Mumbai” for your visit and hope you will allow us to be of service to you again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us, should you need any assistance.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Hamburg
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I travel a lot and sty mostly in 5* Hotels. However, usually I am not too happy about the hotel. But this was the best hotel I've ever been to. Everything exceeded even my higheyst expectations.
Mumbai is a huge city so do not expect a 10000 acre garden or a golf course - but apart from that, you'll have a great stay!

Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
saurabh_bakshi, Manager at The Leela Mumbai, responded to this review, 8 July 2010

Mumbai
Reviewed 5 July 2010

We checked in at 3am after a long flight from Hongkong. We were received and made comfortable in the business lounge with cold towel and a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.

The check formality was swift and easy.

Details like wake up call and personal escort to respective rooms was arranged.

The next day breakfastwas in royal club restaurent and they serve breakfast with variety of fruits, fresh juices and warm food items tailor made to your taste.
We had very good internet service and enjoyed every moment.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 2 July 2010

When traveling through Mumbai each year, staying at the Leela is the highlight of the arrival into India. Here I am greeted warmly, experience deep rest and enjoy excellent and beautifully prepared foods.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cybar7
Mumbai
Reviewed 1 July 2010

The Hotel and its staff know how organise large events and how to make each guest feel special.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
canada
Reviewed 30 June 2010

The buffet at Leela is the best I ever had so far.I was out with friends and they enjoyed it too.The spread was excellent and the was so delicious.The juices and the desserts was assumptious.Not only that the service was terrific.I am glad I was able to make it.East or West Leela is the best.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank wilferns
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I stayed at the Leela for 2 nights with my husband and 9 month old daughter in April.

Everything else about the hotel is Fantastic The ESPA,the food ambience...except the conduct of certain room service and housekeeping guys

The housekeeping and room service guys seem to be in some sort of nexus as far as women travellers are concerened.
One lecherous old fellow Vasant [-] tried to force his entry into our room while my husband had gone for a massage...I was having a bath and I thought my husband had returned, only to find someone struggling with the door .
When I suddenly yanked the door open he sheepishly said he wanted to collect some tray!!So I asked him why he didnot ring the bell and he had no answer..he had come to "forcefully" open the door to collect some 'imaginary" tray when there was no tray in our room.I was too shaken with this experience as I was wondering what could have happened if I had not bolted the door from inside as is my habit from travelling alone for years!I also recalled that I had mentioned that I was going for a bath infront of the housekeeping guy who had come to the room minutes before this other guy tried to open the door.Incidentally when I started questioning the errant guy this other guy came to his rescue saying tat oh it's a mistake he musnt have realised ..and kept asking the other guy to say sorry!?
After complaining to all concerned,we realised that it was futile as they kept telling us that security will view it in the cameras and get back to us and that the guy had been taken off duty!
Bythe way there were no security cameras which had any view of our room door as it was on a bend!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PreeaKumar
Itsmeajit, Manager at The Leela Mumbai, responded to this review, 2 July 2010
We thank you for your recent comment on Trip Advisor

This incident dates back to the 3rd of April’10 and senior management of The Leela had immediately taken cognizance of this feedback.
A thorough investigation was carried out which included analyzing of CCTV footage, a detailed cross examination of the staff member in question and scrutinizing his personal files for past demeanors.
The findings were discussed in detail and the under mentioned conclusion was effected:

1) The act of trying to open the door without knocking or checking the occupancy of the room was a procedural lapse.
2) This in turn led to a misunderstanding that the staff had malafide intentions
3) Despite his intentions being in good faith, the procedural lapse was viewed very strongly by the senior management and the individual was de-rostered with immediate effect.
4) As a corrective measure the staff member was issued a written warning letter – copy placed in his personal file. (the first in his file in 20 years)

The staff member in question, Mr. Vasant Sabale has been in service with our organization for 2 decades and has a flawless record pertaining to his integrity & character.
The Leela with its philosophy of “Atithi Devo Bhava” hinges on values such as integrity, trust and ethics – which are embodied by our staff members.
We completely vouch for Mr. Sabale – any other similar error which violates our company philosophy; if proven guilty; would have invited an immediate termination.

With a lot of humility we also take umbrage to such a strong statement being made regarding the moral character of our staff member on such a public platform.

Previous comments on Trip Advisor and our frequent lady travelers are a testimony to the secure environs offered by our Hotel – which is a deciding factor for their stay.
We value the relationship we foster with our guests and would take every effort in its continuation.

Ajit Nair