“2 Hotels”

The Taj Mahal Palace
Ranked #3 of 454 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
London, United Kingdom
“2 Hotels”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

The Taj is in fact 2 hotels - The old original hotel where alll the hotel services are situated and this is just fabulous. However the 'new wing' which is not so new, I would guess circa 1975, is like staying in a ghastly South London council estate block. It is a little shabby and past its best and more to the point it has very poor soundproofing. We had 2 rooms in this concrete block and were kept awake all night with, firstly the traffic and then by other guests in nearby rooms. Stay here, BUT get a room in the original hotel do not stay in the new wing no matter how much cheaper it is - You will be disappointed.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the new wing - Book a room in the original part of the Hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Crs99
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, 28 January 2014

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor further to your experience at The Taj.

We thank you for your suggestion on the Tower Wing Room and the soundproofing of the room and appreciate your honest feedback.

Thanks ever so much for sharing your feedback.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to The Taj soon.

The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,603)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 5 days loved everything about it,typical 5 star no complaints.so then comes check out day,what I usually do while I'm staying at any hotel I stash my money some in the safe and then have a little back up hid some where else,for this occasion thinking I'm in one of the most prestigious hotels in the whole of India.while presidents and famous stars have stayed here I didn't really take as much caution as I usually do,I just hid my back up cash in my case stashed in a shoe usually locked up when I'm out of the room,but some times as you may all know in the mornings we wake up to rush down to breakfast I may of left my case unlocked,anyway to cut a long story short come check out day I'm packing my bags empty my safe and realise my £1000 I stashed in my case was gone,Gutted..I was meant to stay in India another ten days had to cut my trip short due to this....now you tell me people who else has entry to your room.....WARNING BEWARE PEOPLE

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sid B
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

The safety and security of our guests and their belongings is a matter of paramount importance to us. As you will appreciate, due diligence and investigations were done for you as well and we had been in touch with you throughout the same.

Should you have any further concerns on the matter, please do let us know and we would be delighted to assist you with the same.

Regards,

Singapore
Reviewed 22 January 2014

A lovely heritage hotel with so much history -- plus outstanding service and well appointed rooms with a wonderful view of the Gateway to India. From the arrival experience (flowers and drinks in the private lounge) to the special touches in the room (small gifts left each day and the staff inserted a Taj Mahal book mark in my book when they noticed I had folded down the page) - my stay was wonderful. I stayed in the Palace Wing and highly recommend it as this part of the hotel has been recently renovated Great breakfast by the pool, fantastic location close to shopping and other sites and restaurants. I highly recommend this property - to the first time visitor or to others, like me, who travel frequently in India. I will definitely come back to this hotel and recommend it to the pickiest of travellers.

Room Tip: Suggest the Palace Wing for the incredible view. Sometimes the street noise is on the loud side but...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank lspitsen

New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 January 2014

The best place to stay in Mumbai... Amazing view of The gateway of India and also of the Arabain sea. Just an amazing place to stay. Great prime location in Colaba, South Mumbai. The Hotel stands as the pride of inida.

Room Tip: If in Mumbai, Taj Mahal Palace is the palce to stay
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Johncena_har

New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Few experiences have come close in my experience to the amount of attention and thought to detail paid by staff from housekeeping to the butler to the waitstaff at the restaurants. Opulence rarely matched, Mr Tata's legacy lives on...It's service, coupled with its heritage, staying at the hotel is a travel experience in itself. They even had a tour. Highly recommended...

Room Tip: I liked being in the older section as it added to the authentic "Bombay experience"
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank NYCentertainment

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team. Your kind words of appreciation for our staff members will go a long way in motivating and encouraging them to do even better in future.

Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed 20 January 2014

The Taj Mahal Palace hotel is very upscale. Upon check in, you get your own personal staff escorting you through the entire hotel explaining all the amenities. The place just reeks of opulence. The restaurants were high end. We only ate sushi at Wasabi by Morimoto and it was expensive. It was our last night in India, so we went for the gusto.

The service was excellent and the ambiance was elegant. The breakfast was very tasty and had good variety. The hotel is located by the water and the West India Gate and we walked everywhere from the hotel. Shopping was abundant nearby. The concierge was very helpful in directing you to places you wanted to visit.

The hotel boasts a long list of celebrities as former guests with their pictures displayed in a case.

We had a room in the older section which we were told by our guide that it is better than the newer tower rooms. It was very nice. We were also told that our room was a free upgrade from the room we were originally assigned to in the tower wing. Nice!

One thing they need to improve on is that many of the wood railings in the hall had dirty fingerprints or smudges on its white paint. It was obvious and should not have been seen in such a high end hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the older section and not in the newer tower wing.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DrCUR

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Adviser further to your experience at the hotel.

We are grateful to you for letting us have the feedback, as it is indeed the pre-eminent barometer by which we can measure our achievements and shortfalls, in providing the best of services to our valued guests.

I have also noted your feedback on the quality of wood railings and appreciate your honest feedback.

We greatly value your patronage and your feedback and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you, in the near future to The Taj.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My wife and I are from New Zealand and were privileged to spend 4 nights at the Taj Mahal Palace hotel in Mumbai (December 2013) en-route to Spain and Portugal - This is an iconic hotel with superb rooms and service standards unmatched anywhere else. Every aspect of our stay was well looked after ,often proactively, before we could ask for stuff.

As it happens I sprained my back on the second day and casually asked the hotel if they might be able to help. They went out of their way to organise a top end Physiotherapist from Bombay Hospital to visit me at the hotel at a very reasonable rate ($30 a visit) - He set me right over two days, otherwise our onward journey to Spain and Portugal would have been a disaster.

The room was exquisite - the food was excellent as was the housekeeping and other services provided by a butler no less. The security is tight all over the hotel which is always nice to see. The staff are outstanding.

I would like to thank Reshmi at the guest relations desk for looking after us so well.

A pleasure to break journey in Mumbai and in such a great hotel
Many thanks