“Affordable luxury for a special treat.”

The Taj Mahal Palace
Ranked #3 of 444 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
“Affordable luxury for a special treat.”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The most attentive staff and personal service second to none. I have stayed in many top class hotels around the world, but this beats them all.My room was in the main Palace section and it was nice to have your own personal lounge with waiter service for those staying in the Palace wing only. Breakfast by the pool was a nice distraction, although a bit humid. The main breakfast area had a bit of a cafeteria feel about it. Next day took breakfast in the Sea Lounge and was 100% better. Overall, a fantastic stay.

• Stayed June 2014
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, 16 June 2014

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor further to your experience at The Taj.

Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team.

Thanks ever so much for sharing your feedback.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to The Taj soon.

The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,558)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed at the Taj Palace on several trips to bombay... Great architecture of the British Raj... Luxurious, clean, pleasing and ofcourse the impeccable service one expects from this establishment and from the TAJ chain in general... The main building is just beautiful and the lounges are great... en fin :superbe....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Mumbai was my very first stop on my month long tour of India. My first place to stay in was the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel ... This Grand Dame of hotels has so much history and so much class.
I was welcomed with a nice cool drink, a lei garland, and a bindi to introduce me to the beautiful culture of India.
Our room on the 4th floor ( the smallest) was gigantic and well appointed. It had a lovely view of the pool side and gardens of the hotel. The bathroom was gigantic with separate shower and bathtub, and the amenities were first class. I couldn't stop using all their lotions as it smelt and felt divine.
The bed was super comfortable and the linen was equally lovely.
The service is just out of this world!!! How people remember your name in such a large place is beyond me, but they did just that, remember our names.
Every night upon returning to the hotel, the staff made up our towels in different animal forms with rose petals everywhere ... We really wanted to watch Jodha Akbar, and the concierge immediately purchased the dvd to which we were able to watch in awe...
The breakfast buffet is spectacular, with fresh fruits, and daily grinds that kept me sitting in my luxurious table seat for over an hour indulging in their fine cuisine and staring off into the bay as the Gateway of India stood proud ...
The surrounding area is so full of life and color. You can take a 2 minute walk to The Gateway of India, or 3 minutes to Leopolds and all around you are merchants selling the finest of carpets and wears.
The hotel is very secure and one needs to go through metal detecters .. I felt very safe.
We ate at Morimotos one night and the food was spectacular.
Everything a bout this hotel was beyond perfect. The luxury, the comforts, the kind attention we received and the beauty of this hotel rates it as one of the best I've ever staid in, and I will be back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank angelina1813
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, 13 June 2014

Tortona, Italy
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,269 helpful votes
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The Taj Mahal Palace is undoubtedly one of the most iconic and well known hotels in the heart of Colaba area a few meters from the marina and the Gateway of India.
This structure appears in the section of the hotel but personally I would place this also among the attractions of the city being a very nice and architecturally beautiful structure in the colonial style it is a luxurious 5 star hotel.
The entrance is surveilled all the time by guards, I tried to get in and I managed it without any problems, you can walk along the luxurious reception and there are also some shops.
Also here you will see numerous photos of famous people who have stayed here, including Hollywood actors, singers and some United States Presidents.
A half-hour visit, interesting place that is worth the visit.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Philippines
Reviewed 10 June 2014

It was just an amazing stay, when I did not like the room that they allocate us, we were quickly transferred to the rooms in palace wing. It was my birthday and I was greeted upon arrival with a birthday cake and once again given a birthday cake at the restaurant (Zodiac Grill). Everything is perfect! I would love to come back and stay in another room type.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, 12 June 2014

New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The service was almost impeccable. Everyone was polite and extremely helpful. It was my birthday on the last day we were there - I was greeted by more "happy birthday" than I can remember. They left flowers and balloons in my room as a surprise and I even got a birthday cake (delicious one nonetheless) from the hotel! That, to me, was customer experience at its very best.

Now - the room. Sadly, I can't say the same about the room. We took a deluxe room in the Palace Wing with sea view - which was what most of the reviews had recommended. When we arrived and got to our room at 3 in the morning, we were greeted with the strongest odor, of dust, humidity… just musty. It was stifling. I called the front desk immediately and was told that there isn't much they could do. The lady offered us a room to sleep in - as in, we can get dressed in our PJ and go to another room to sleep - but we were told that they won't be able to give us another room (this is why I said the service was "almost" impeccable - this is the one incident that really wasn't great). At that point, it was 3 AM, we were exhausted from 10 hours of traveling so we decided to suck it up and stay in our own room. At least we could unpack a bit. The next morning - the hotel's solution to the smelly room was to leave us with a bottle of air freshener. >_< seriously, I think Holiday Inn might have been able to do better.

Room aside - the pool is tiny and crowded with people. Not a pool that looks refreshing enough for anyone to want to jump in.

My husband and I have travelled India 3 times in the past 2 years. I would say that overall, the service at Oberoi is much more consistent and you can get the 5 star standard that you expect of 5 star hotels - both in terms of rooms and service. With the Taj, you just never know what to expect. We've stayed at a few Taj in India - Mumbai Taj Palace is definitely by far the best one. But I think we would try the Oberoi if we were to go back to Mumbai again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us. We appreciate your feedback, as it is indeed the pre-eminent barometer by which we can measure our achievements and shortfalls, in providing the best of services to our valued guests, such as yourself.

I have also noted your feedback on the quality of room and service and appreciate your honest feedback.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We booked a Deluxe Room with a sea view at the Palace Wing, and on our arrival we've been informed by the hotel management that we've been upgraded to a Garden View Suite! it was spacious, a suite with a living room, dinning room, bedroom, and a huge bathroom. Most interestingly the lovely bathtub, separate from the toilet, with two sinks. The heritage building was fabulous and full of indian culture. Gateways of India in the opposite side of the hotel. Hotel staff were courteous and very helpful. I highly recommend staying at the Palace (Heritage) wing, of course you don't get the beautiful experience if you stay at the Tower Wing! it's like staying in a different hotel. The breakfast at the Sea Lounge was amazing. Fresh breads, your choice of eggs, selection of cheeses, and variety of dishes at the buffet. We also had an English Tea in the evening at the Sea Lounge and it was great!
to add the finishing to your lovely stay in Mumbai, I recommend hiring a car with a driver! The driver was so so so helpful and he took us to all the must see/visit places. Overall our stay at the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel was comfortable, and we were glad ending up in such a beautiful hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the Tower Wing, I highly recommend the palace wing.