“The Place to Stay in Mumbai”

The Taj Mahal Palace
Ranked #3 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed 18 June 2014

There is no other hotel associate with Mumbai as the Taj Mahal Palace. The location is perfect for visitor to the city. The wide open frontage facing the Gateway of India is an impressive sight. The services starting with the warm welcome from the impressive doormen to its beautiful decorated lobby and a team of staff that make the palace come to life. Unfortunately we can give further review on the hotel since we visited as a tourist without staying in. We came to Mumbai with a cruise ship and simply went there for a visit as part of our sightseeing stops.

However from the overall facilities, location, liveliness, and services, the Taj Mahal Palace will be our number 1 choice for our next visit.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor further to your experience at The Taj.

Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team. Your kind words of appreciation for our staff members will go a long way in motivating and encouraging them to do even better in future.

Thanks ever so much for sharing your feedback.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to The Taj soon.

There are newer reviews for The Taj Mahal Palace

Reviewed 18 June 2014

After reading many negative reviews on this hotel I was a little hesitant to book a room, but I finally took the plunge and I do not regret it! The prices are not so high when compared to a hotel of the same category in Europe or the USA. Rates are lower than a hotel unpretentious, without sea view, without the multitude of services offered at East Bay in St. Martin for example. The staff are lovely. Nothing to report about my room

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I had a stay of 3 nights during my first visit to India, it was really an amazing experience, staying at the hotel was the only thing I wanted to do. the service was really very good and the team was really friendly, even they helped me in wearing the sari for my friend's wedding :) and the best part is that my room was facing Gate of India - I don't mind to travel to India just to stay at Taj Mahal Palace - I love it

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Reviewed 15 June 2014

The most attentive staff and personal service second to none. I have stayed in many top class hotels around the world, but this beats them all.My room was in the main Palace section and it was nice to have your own personal lounge with waiter service for those staying in the Palace wing only. Breakfast by the pool was a nice distraction, although a bit humid. The main breakfast area had a bit of a cafeteria feel about it. Next day took breakfast in the Sea Lounge and was 100% better. Overall, a fantastic stay.

• Stayed: June 2014
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed at the Taj Palace on several trips to bombay... Great architecture of the British Raj... Luxurious, clean, pleasing and ofcourse the impeccable service one expects from this establishment and from the TAJ chain in general... The main building is just beautiful and the lounges are great... en fin :superbe....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Mumbai was my very first stop on my month long tour of India. My first place to stay in was the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel ... This Grand Dame of hotels has so much history and so much class.
I was welcomed with a nice cool drink, a lei garland, and a bindi to introduce me to the beautiful culture of India.
Our room on the 4th floor ( the smallest) was gigantic and well appointed. It had a lovely view of the pool side and gardens of the hotel. The bathroom was gigantic with separate shower and bathtub, and the amenities were first class. I couldn't stop using all their lotions as it smelt and felt divine.
The bed was super comfortable and the linen was equally lovely.
The service is just out of this world!!! How people remember your name in such a large place is beyond me, but they did just that, remember our names.
Every night upon returning to the hotel, the staff made up our towels in different animal forms with rose petals everywhere ... We really wanted to watch Jodha Akbar, and the concierge immediately purchased the dvd to which we were able to watch in awe...
The breakfast buffet is spectacular, with fresh fruits, and daily grinds that kept me sitting in my luxurious table seat for over an hour indulging in their fine cuisine and staring off into the bay as the Gateway of India stood proud ...
The surrounding area is so full of life and color. You can take a 2 minute walk to The Gateway of India, or 3 minutes to Leopolds and all around you are merchants selling the finest of carpets and wears.
The hotel is very secure and one needs to go through metal detecters .. I felt very safe.
We ate at Morimotos one night and the food was spectacular.
Everything a bout this hotel was beyond perfect. The luxury, the comforts, the kind attention we received and the beauty of this hotel rates it as one of the best I've ever staid in, and I will be back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank angelina1813
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Reviewed 12 June 2014

The Taj Mahal Palace is undoubtedly one of the most iconic and well known hotels in the heart of Colaba area a few meters from the marina and the Gateway of India.
This structure appears in the section of the hotel but personally I would place this also among the attractions of the city being a very nice and architecturally beautiful structure in the colonial style it is a luxurious 5 star hotel.
The entrance is surveilled all the time by guards, I tried to get in and I managed it without any problems, you can walk along the luxurious reception and there are also some shops.
Also here you will see numerous photos of famous people who have stayed here, including Hollywood actors, singers and some United States Presidents.
A half-hour visit, interesting place that is worth the visit.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple