“The Taj Mahal Palace_Mumbai”

The Taj Mahal Palace
Ranked #4 of 452 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I have had the honour of visiting this excellent establishment a few times & everytime I do so I'm blown away.

The last time I walked into this hotel the concierge looked up and said - Welcome to your second home Mr Liebenberg - need I say more, I was blown away.

That is the level of service you receive from this fine hotel over & over again. I love the old world charm and modern technology combined in this grand old dame.

Next you are in Mumbai this is the place to stay, forget the other hotels, this is the best !!!

Take my word for it.

Kind regards

Ferdie Liebenberg

Room Tip: Ask for the old section.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Mr. Liebenberg,

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor further to your experience at The Taj.

Thanks ever so much for sharing your feedback.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to The Taj soon.

There are newer reviews for The Taj Mahal Palace

Reviewed 8 July 2014

As a newly engaged couple backpacking through India we threw caution out of the window and opted for a night of opulence to celebrate.
We were given a complimentary upgrade to a room on the 5th floor with a great view of the grounds. The upgrade included afternoon tea, cocktails, chocolate and cognac tasting and the free tour - make the effort to do the tour as it's only when you're on the tour that you realise how iconic this building is.
When you've back packed around India, it's a bit odd paying London prices for beer and food but that quickly goes away as you're staying in one of the most luxurious hotels in India with a great selection of top notch eateries to suit whatever mood you may be in.
We stayed there one night and didn't leave the grounds as there was so much to do and so many places to chill out in.
It was rejuvenating - the service was incredible and attention to detail was exceptional. If you can do it, just do it!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This really is an amazing hotel. It feels really special, exclusive and is steeped in history - I'd recommend doing the hotel tour which is free, it's brilliant and the guy who presents it should be an actor!

The rooms in the palace wing are a little dated but it's a palace building so is to be expected. Food was ok, nothing special, great cocktails and service. The waiters/waitresses in the club lounge were very sweet and efficient. The one real negative is the manicure I had, I could have done better myself (they leave the cuticles on and paint over them?!) and the girls at reception were very giggly and not very professional. The gym is perfect, lots of equipment and cold - perfect!

Overall, one of a kind hotel

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I have also noted your feedback on the quality of room,food, experience at the Salon and the staff at the reception and appreciate your honest feedback.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights on business 24-25 June and came away disappointed.First time Ive stayed since 2007 and wont be rushing back.As you would expect,security was exceptionally high on approaching the hotel which was reassuring.
The room was rather dull and dingy,whilst the bathroom was in need of a major refurb.There was no seperate shower and basically felt like a typical rubbish UK 4 start hotel.
The service in the bars/restaurant was very good although expensive for what it was.
They really need to up there game and take a lesson from Taj Lands End.Will try Oberoi or similar next time,its such a shame as I use to really like it here.

Room Tip: Try the old part of the hotel,cant be any worse .
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CHOPSKI

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us. We appreciate your feedback, as it is indeed the pre-eminent barometer by which we can measure our achievements and shortfalls, in providing the best of services to our valued guests, such as yourself.

I have also noted your feedback on the quality of room and bathroom and appreciate your honest feedback.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We started our holiday in Mumbai for 5 days and this was our first visit to India. We later moved on to the Leela hotel in Goa.
Upon our arrival which was early a.m. before daybreak we were given a room with a sea view in the Tower section of the hotel. The room had a bad odour smell and the following day we complained and were transferred to a deluxe room on a higher floor. These rooms are similar to a typical Premier Inn in UK and are definitely not 5 star. These rooms require refurbishing to bring the Tower section of the hotel back to good standard.
The old part of the hotel is spectacular and reminded me of our stay at Raffles in Singapore.
The staff are very pleasant and helpful.
The Zodiac restaurant is excellent and should not be missed.
The Health Spa provided an excellent service during our stay.
Nothing much to do in Mumbai and when we went out to do some photography we were bombarded with people begging for money.
A word of warning to anyone visiting this area is to avoid salads and fruit plates, even in 5 star rated hotels. During our stay the city was under a spell of gastro diseases and 350 people were suffering from typhoid.

Room Tip: Make sure you view your room before accepting it.
4  Thank kag-ok
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I have also noted your feedback on the quality of room in the Tower Wing and appreciate your honest feedback.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Was concerned the rooms would be outdated and although the tower room was not large, it was bright, extremely comfortable and had a great view. Would not now stay anywhere else in Mumbai, great position and excellent service.

Room Tip: Tower rooms have small balcony with views over Gateway to India. good for smokers!
1  Thank CyanS

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I have stayed there for 2 Nights with my friends and returned with big smile. I found the true meaning of Hospitality in TAJ. They pamper you like anything !!!! We have booked City View Room and while we checked in they immediately upgrade us to Sea View Room.Breakfast was good. All the facilities was well backed up by excellent service. The staff was attentive all the time and ready to serve almost all your needs !! Interestingly Our all requests were met! Like sea view room - Late Checkout etc. Initially I did not found Shaving Kit and Toothbrush-paste in bathroom, but on call they provided the same.
I must recommend and will come back again in Taj Mahal Palace .

Room Tip: Nothing better than a Heritage wing !!! If you can afford take a room in a Heritage wing facing the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank holidaysmaker
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team. Your kind words of appreciation for our staff members will go a long way in motivating and encouraging them to do even better in future.