“As good as it gets for a hotel”
Review of The Oberoi, Mumbai

The Oberoi, Mumbai
Ranked #1 of 454 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Singapore, Singapore
“As good as it gets for a hotel”
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I was very pleased with my recent stay @ The Oberoi.
Security understandably has been very much beefed up, but is still deployed in a comparably low key and hassle free manner. While we had a minor hick up with baggage upon arrival, with the porters inexplicably leaving one bag in the taxi, this got solved reasonably quickly after the initial confusion had been cleared.
Rooms are modern, equipped with the usual amenities wth sme nice twists in the bathroom, service is excellent and I found the staff very friendly and generally willing to assist, if sometimes even a bit overeager during the breakfast. Location is great as you can enjoy a stroll or run on the seafront, it's a quick cab ride to South Business district and still ok (in a city like Mumbai) to and from the airports.
Business rates are good value for money except the 30min free Wifi limitation other reviewers have also mentioned.
Will stay there on my next visit to Mumbai.

Room Tip: Mumbai is always noisy, the higher the floor the better for a good nights sleep
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
TheOberoi_Mumbai, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

Your appreciation of our hotel, its location, the ambience and our staff is overwhelming. Thank you for your heartfelt words of praise which have been shared with the entire team for whom this will be a tremendous source of inspiration.

With regards to your feedback on internet, our infrastructure including the leased lines is procured at a high cost to maintain reliability of service. Nevertheless, we have noted your feedback and will review your suggestion shortly.

We look forward to welcoming you back with much excitement!

varun.chhibber@oberoihotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (597)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 4 June 2012

In every respect but one minor issue I have to say this is a very good hotel.

Rooms are clean, well equipped with the usual amenities, service is excellent and I found the staff very friendly and willing to assist. The rates are reasonable and overall good value.

One minor nit pick is the 30 minute fee WIFI per day. Seriously in this day and age particularly if hotels wish to cater for business guests, they need to provide WIFI free or at the very least more than a paltry 30 minutes. There is no club level like many Asian hotels which is also a bit disappointing.

Having said that its easy to see how this hotel rates so highly and I agree its worthy of that rating.

1 Thank JWGT1957
TheOberoi_Mumbai, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sparing time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to note that you felt comfortable and well looked after by the team. At The Oberoi, we strive to exceed our guest’s expectations at every level. Your recognition of our team being friendly and willing to assist is indeed very motivating.

With regards to your feedback on charging for internet, our infrastructure including the leased lines is procured at a high cost to maintain reliability of service. Nevertheless we have noted your feedback and will review your suggestion shortly.

Thank you for recommending us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Very nice stay, nice rooms ( modern and clean - more times per day ) and very friendly personal - can not get more friendlier...
You have 24 hours even your own Butler... you just need to press the button
The SPA is open 24 Hours a day - you can get after a long flight a back massage any hour during the day..
The security is excellent - you feel very safe while entering the Hotel...
The restaurants and the food is great...you are not going to stay hungry.

Thank Apollonija Spel... H
TheOberoi_Mumbai, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review us on Trip Advisor.

All of us are delighted to note that you have had a great stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai. Your positive observations regarding our product, services, food and facilities is indeed very motivating.

Our team is our strength and your recognition motivates them to scale greater heights of excellence.

We eagerly await your return and hope to be your preferred destination in Mumbai.

Hong Kong
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This hotel is wonderful in many ways but with the misses I could not give it more than just an average rating.

The reception staff ran hot and cold. It took me three times to get a straight answer for how to get to an ATM machine. The first two waved their hands casually towards the direction of the shopping arcade attached to the Trident which is attached to the Oberoi. The walk through the arcade the first time was stressful, at every step of the way salesmen from the various shops were very vocal in their insistence of coming into their establishment. There was no obvious signage for an ATM machine so after about 3 floors (only the down escalators worked for some reason), I gave up plus I was getting REALLY tired of being hassled so I quickly backtracked - of course backtracking meant I had to go through the same group of men again!

When I enquired about the ATM again I was, again sent in the same direction. On the third enquiry I looked for someone more senior at the concierge desk to ask and he very helpfully told me to NOT walk through the arcade but to go outside, turn left, cross the street and opposite the hotel was a bank!!!

The spa is located on the pool level of the hotel which is one floor above the reception. I arrived early for my appointed time so I could take a steam first. After my steam and shower I was lead to my treatment which was on the 12th floor of the hotel! I was a soaking mess after my shower, the last thing I expected to do was to parade through the public area of the hotel! After the treatment I had to return to the spa level to retrieve my clothes when they could have informed me to bring my clothes so I could at least make myself presentable after my treatment. The spa director was very pushy with the beauty products as well to the point that I found her approach verging on insulting.

We stayed for 4 nights/5 days. We took all our breakfast in our room and it was only correct once. Coffee was a measly one cup deal and hot water for tea for barely enough for 2 cups. The hot water carafes used for the tea also hadn't been washed properly so my morning tea had a taste of coffee - not a pleasant experience.

The in house Indian restaurant Ziya is VERY good. Service is top notch and the menu will satisfy all and if not the chef is very accommodating. I ordered a curry that I assumed was a mild one because the item didn't have the hot chili pepper symbol the other curries had but when it came it was simply too hot for me. I felt very bad because it was very, very good but just too hot for me so I was just going to eat the naan breads and the rice with just a little bit of the curry sauce but the waiter noticed I wasn't eating. When my husband explained why he smiled and said he would be right back. He came back with the chef in tow and I felt like crawling under the table (this is a two Michelin starred restaurant!). The chef was extremely understanding and was not insulted. He asked what I liked and I told him I love non spicy Indian curries, I prefer to eat vegetables and fish but didn't like eggplant and am allergic to crab. A beautifully made mushroom curry arrived at the table in about 7 minutes along with fresh naan breads and a fresh main dish for my husband who hadn't wanted to continue eating without me. He didn't ask for his food to be re-heated, the waiter noticed and put in an order without direction from us. This is the ultimate in service standard!

The hotel room is large and well appointed. The tap water is filtered but there was plenty of bottled water in the room. The gym is well equipped with Star Trac treadmills and elliptical machines as well as weight machines and free weights.

The house keeping staff noticed my extensive array of toiletries had very kindly sent a full bottle of body lotion they normally reserve for the Presidency Suite. It was a thoughtful touch.

The hotel has had a new fleet of Audi A8Ls delivered in the last 5 months and this is an anomaly to the locals. They have seen their share of 7-Series BMWs and S600 Mercedes so heads turn when you are driven in one of these. On about half a dozen occasions whenever I came come back from sightseeing, shopping or photo shoot I would find the car surrounded by people taking photos of each other posing with the car!

Would I return to this hotel? Yes, because regardless of the misses it is a comfortable, clean hotel with a fine staff. I would have to disagree with its 5* status though because of the misses. If a hotel claims to be 5* then it better deliver.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SixStarQueen
TheOberoi_Mumbai, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Trip Advisor community.

I have attempted to call Mr Spencer a couple of times however could get connected and have left a message with the secretary.

It would be a pleasure if I could speak to you over phone to understand your experience even better. I would be very happy to call you at a convenient time to you.

Your detailed feedback helps us understand, learn and improve and at the same time some most wonderful comments of yours make us feel very proud of our team. There is great merit in learning from the ATM incident and the Spa experience of yours. We have reinforced our standards in these areas.

I have met the In Room Dining team to share your experience of breakfast and all of us are committed to excel in this area as well.

Your comments on the dining experience in Ziya and the eye for detail of our housekeepers inspires us further to do even better.
At The Oberoi, we have always believed in getting the small aspects of service right and your feedback reassures us that our approach is correct.

The Audi A 8 L fleet is indeed a big asset and I am glad that you enjoyed your experience in this aspect.

Your final words that you would return to The Oberoi makes us all very excited and we look forward to your next visit.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any assistance that I may be of , in Mumbai.

Kind Regards,

The Oberoi, Mumbai
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Overall an excellent stay. Hotel is very clean, quiet, and supportave of my needs. There is no club level, so socializing is relegated to the bar on the main level. The business center was first rate; and the staff servicing my room was the best service I have seen in India.

Meals were all very well done; with a nice range of menus.

Room Tip: i had the suite ocean view; this is a huge room and great for an extended stay where you have alot o...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience through Trip Advisor.

We are all pleased to note that you have had an enjoyable and comfortable stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai.

The Housekeeping team is truly honoured by your generous appreciation of being the best in India. The team is focus in delivering high levels of personalized service and your recognition for them is very encouraging.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2012

On my most recent trip to Mumbai, I decided to stay at the Oberoi rather than the Taj which had always been my favorite, right by the Gate of India. But the mental images of the bombings broadcast on CNN several Thanksgiving weekends ago made me uneasy about visiting my old haunt alone on a business trip. I really made the right choice! Although the Oberoi had also been attacked, it has been fully restored beautifully with exceedingly conscientious security on entering, unlike the Taj which is still half under construction with a very chaotic side entrance serving as the only egress.

I was very well looked after at the Oberoi, from the butler who brought me some exquisite lotion because I appeared to like cosmetics and toiletries judging from my bathroom (!), to the kitchen that kept me stocked in mangos when they learned how much I like them. I was in the least expensive room category, but within the first of a four day stay, everyone knew my name and seemed to want to make my stay as enjoyable as possible.

One tip: the hotel provides one way complimentary car service to or from the airport, which is very useful for the 2:00 am flights to the West. Yet another safety feature to make Oberoi guests feel comfortable and looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. The traffic noise along the oceanfront might keep you awake.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
TheOberoi_Mumbai, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful review through TripAdvisor.

The team at The Oberoi, Mumbai is immensely proud to read your review. It is indeed very heartening to know that you have had a memorable experience and that you enjoyed the overall product and the ambience of the hotel.

We believe in empowering our team members to enable them to create lasting memories. I am delighted to note that your Butler could create these special moments for you.

We eagerly await your return to The Oberoi, Mumbai.

St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We stayed in the spring of 2011. The Oberoi Hotel is located in Nariman Point, a district near Marina Drive. The area feels very safe and you can walk around in the middle of the night without anyone disturbing you. The hotel is very conveniently located close to the main sights.

The service was excellent. The front desk staff were always very helpful. We arrived early but were checked in immediately. Our standard room, although not very big, was nice and cozy, with a very clean bathroom. The view from the room was amazing. The important thing is that the security system is very good so we felt very safe throughout our stay.

The hotel has two restaurants (both fairly good) and a bar. Live music every night. Relaxing atmosphere... In short, there is all you need for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank miroma
TheOberoi_Mumbai, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor and for posting your generous feedback.

We are delighted to note that you have had a most comfortable stay with us and it was a pleasure to have been of service to you.

We are pleased to share that The Oberoi, Mumbai has received the “TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence” this accolade, which honours hospitality excellence, is given only to establishments that consistently achieve outstanding traveller reviews on TripAdvisor, and is extended to qualifying businesses worldwide. Approximately 10 % of accommodations listed on TripAdvisor receive this prestigious award.

Your generous compliments have been shared with the entire team for whom this will be a tremendous source of inspiration.

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.