“Great location for a stopover”
Review of Midland Hotel

Midland Hotel
Ranked #175 of 458 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Very comfortable stay with friendly staff and a great location near the airport. Provided a nice abode to escape the heat and get some rest before an international flight home. Staff were very efficient and helpful

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Great location near to the airport, friendly helpfull staff, transfers to and from airport included , nice clean room , a/c and fan, hotel also has a fantastic restaurant with great food and good service, our room was at the back of the hotel it was certainly comfortable and also big enough and we certainly had no problems with noise and we were there at the busy time, we really loved this hotel but unfortunately we only had a short overnight stay but will certainly return next year and would certainly recommed this hotel

shower rom could do with an update and would be nice if WI FI is free

Room Tip: we had room at the back of the hotel no.102 it was spacious, clean and very comfortable and we certa...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beltonlass
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The Midland hotel gets mixed reviews on this website, but I enjoyed my stay there and would happily stay again.

I gave myself 24 hours in Mumbai between a domestic and international flight because I wanted to see the city and wanted a safety margin in case of a flight delay.

The Midland Hotel is located near the Santa Cruz commuter train station, about a 10 minute drive from the domestic terminal and 20 minute drive from the international terminal, depending on traffic.

One can use a pre-paid taxi (dispatcher booths are in the arrivals areas) or use the hotel’s SUV shuttle service at a somewhat higher room rate (my arriving flight was delayed almost an hour but the hotel driver waited for me).

The hotel is located in a very busy area. The front of the hotel is almost hidden by sidewalk vendors, traffic is heavy, and there is an elevated pedestrian walkway that runs along the street. For this reason, a rear-facing room might be best. My room was very quiet.

The neighborhood provides immediate immersion in the culture of India, unlike some of the more isolated international chain hotels nearer the airport.

After a good night’s sleep I took the commuter train into central Mumbai for a day of sightseeing. I will tell you how later in this review.

My room was on the first floor rear, where foreign guests seem to be assigned. The room and en suite bathroom were compact but functional, clean, and well-maintained. Although a single, my room had twin beds, silent A/C, a flat screen TV (which I did not use), a room safe, and a mini-fridge. The bathroom had an open shower without curtain, which was standard in my India hotels. Towels were large and thick. There was no smoke or other odor in my room. If you are dissatisfied with your room, simply ask to be moved, since nice rooms like mine are available.

Wi-fi did not work in my room (perhaps because I carry a cheap Android tablet when I travel), but there is a free desktop internet computer on the first floor. It does not have a printer, but the staff, who are very friendly, introduced me to the owner/manager, who let me use his printer for my boarding pass (otherwise I would have gone to an internet café). Remember that you must present a printed itinerary or boarding pass with your passport at the airport entry, or you will not be allowed in.

The hotel staff is very friendly and eager to help. I occasionally had a little trouble understanding the local English, as they did mine, but with a little patience we were able to handle all questions. They do not offer tours, but they can provide a car and driver for 8 hours and 80 km (a standard) for a reasonable 30 USD.

Breakfast is served as a simple but pleasant buffet on the roof-top terrace. It includes juice, fruit, porridge, toast, and omelets. I did not use the hotel restaurant. Instead I ate at the Vihar all-veg restaurant next door, which has a pleasant sidewalk terrace and an extensive, inexpensive menu. They also have cheap bottled water.

I booked my room on the hotel’s website. My single was 70 USD including two way SUV airport shuttle, breakfast buffet, and taxes. Without the extras the room rate is about $10 less. The USD rate was converted to rupees and I was able to charge it to my credit card.

I did tip for each service I used, which is the norm since many service workers in India rely on tips to make ends meet. Make sure you have 10 and 50 rupee notes available for this.

SIGHTSEEING: I left my luggage, passport, and valuables with the front desk when I checked out at noon, and returned to the hotel at 8pm for my midnight international flight.

To enjoy central Mumbai, exit the hotel and turn right. Walk 100 meters to the stairs leading up to the railroad overpass. You will be on the southernmost of three overpasses -- the one with the sidewalk vendors. The train ticket office is on the central overpass, which is connected by an elevated walkway or any platform.

A first class one-way (single) ticket costs 90 rupee (1.50 USD). Avoid morning and evening rush hours (even at Sunday noon the first class carriage was standing room only, but not packed).

Handicapped, ladies, and first class carriages are generally at the center of each train and are marked by colored stripes on the outside.

I traveled to the southern end of the line (Churchgate station) into the city and returned to Santa Cruz station from a spur line (from the historic Victoria Terminus station).

I spent seven hours walking through the Fort and Colaba (historic Mumbai) districts, passing the cricket fields (called maidans), university, high court, Prince of Wales Museum, art museum, Gate of India, and Taj Mahal hotel. Because it was a Sunday, many families were out and about, and there was a nice street festival. A suggested route is published in most guidebooks. In the end, I am glad I did not purchase a walking tour or bus tour, and a car and driver would have been drowned in traffic.

Again, the Midland Hotel is a reasonable option for an overnight stay near the Mumbai airports, and it has the advantage of being close to the Santa Cruz commuter train station for those who are adventuresome and want to see historic Mumbai.

Room Tip: Front rooms face a busy street. Back rooms are quiet. Internet room (free) is on the first floor...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank efsch
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We booked there so we dont have to wait in the airport with our 10 month old daughter an entire night to catch our connection. We ended up reaching there around 2 in the morning and my initial impression was really good, when they sent an air conditioned, clean mini van to pick us up. But the rooms were filthy. The sheets had stains and we didnt feel very comfortable letting our daughter sleep on those. Also the walls had paint peeling off in places, poor patch work in some other places and overall didnt feel clean and comfortable.

The breakfast buffet is nothing to write about. We didnt feel like eating after seeing it. All the employees are very nice and friendly. We in turn were very nice to them too. We did tip generously. But the bad part was when we left, they arranged a filthy looking cab for us. They did have the clean and nice mini van available, but there was another guy who was about to checkout and talking to the receptionist in a rude way and I guess the receptionist didnt want any trouble and chose to reserve the van for him. Anyway, thats when I thought to myself being nice in India wont do you any good. Just demand what you want and dont settle for less. Lesson learned.

If you are single and tolerant, you can stay there for a night or two. If you have a family, avoid this place.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sreenidhi V
PCGMUMBAI, Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Greetings,

We are very thankful to you for taking the time and effort in posting your review. We are also thankful to you for your appreciation in regards to hotel airport transfers services and staff service attitude which you found to be very satisfactory.

as regards to your experience about the hotel room sheets etc.... which you did not find to be up to the standards, it would have been very helpful for us if you could have brought this to the notice of the duty Manager on your arrival itself, let me assure you immediate steps would have been taken to resolve any issues in the said regards to your utmost satisfaction. The hotel is very well known for its cleanliness and we take this as our top post priority and promotion USP...

You have also mentioned in regards to providing you the taxi and not the air-conditioned Hotel minivan... Please note that all efforts are made to provide the Hotel minivan/hotel car to all our guests on arrival and departure transfers. However as you have mentioned that there was a gentlemen who also had his flight departure as yours at the very same time. The receptionist keeping in mind that you were travelling with your family arranged for your alternate mode of transfer at hotel cost in the taxi... Though we are not able to confirm this incident, but yes it would have been better if your transfers were provided by the hotel minivan considering that you were travelling with a child and a taxi should have been arranged for the other guest as he was travelling alone... Have noted this point and instructions to the front desk have been issued to avoid any such incidents in the said regards

We are very keen to be of service to you in the future and assure of our best services at all times.

Thanking you
Simon Viegas

Reviewed 12 December 2013

This hotel is situated in busy area of Mumbai. This hotel has its restaurant .Variety of foods like Indian,tandoor, mughlai and Chinese. The rate is moderate.They offer buffet breakfast with continental and Indian type of food for free in roof top terrace.Only drawback is the bathroom because it's too small and conjust. Other than that all the room service and room amenities like jvc locker and Toshiba air conditioning are really best of its class . They offer free airport shuttle in Toyota innova suv car . overall my experience is very good.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Maruthusuresh
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed for 1 night and I am really glad that I had booking for 1 night only. Rooms are too stinky and you feel like you are staying in a smoking room. TV have no channels and WiFi does not work properly in your room. Reception guy while I checked in was very nice and friendly. Hotel staff is also helpful and get you anything you need. But then a girl takes over the next shift and she really has a attitude problem. You are ignored standing in front of reception for quite a time while she does her "important work", which is "doing nothing". Anything you ask for anything you get a sarcastic answer, even about getting the invoice for the money you paid. I would give a pass to this Hotel for my next stay in Mumbai.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 466varunp
PCGMUMBAI, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

hello,
greetings, we are very thankful to your for the review that you have posted in respect to your stay at our hotel.

we understand that you had some issues in regards to the TV channels and WiFi and smoky rooms. we are very surprised with your comments as the entire hotel is WiFi compatible and with very high speed and it has always remained uninterrupted from the day of installation a few years back 24/7 and we have never received any negative feedback in the said regards.

in regards to review that the Tv do not have any channels.. the Hotel TV has more than 300 Channels on display ( LCD BRAVIA 32" TV). would like to know which of your choice channels ( if any ) were missing as we have never received any feedback for any missing channels from any of our clients travelling from across the globe.

as regards to smoke smell please note that hotel rooms are non-smoking we have designated areas for the same on the roof top or the open air-restaurant for the same.

your positive comments in regards to staff attitude is highly appreciated , however you have also mentioned that you had some issues with the lady receptionist. we have taken this matter with the concerned staff member and the team as a whole and we assure you of a better experience on your future visits.

the hotel has been known all these years for its efficient and courteous services and most importantly for its cleanliness and high standard of hygienic environment

we look forward to be of service to you in the future and assure you of our best services at all times.

Thanking you
Simon Viegas

Reviewed 6 November 2013

The hotel is 2 starred. The breakfast, which is complimentary, was quite palatable. There are decent restaurants close-by. For someone coming in from a very quite place, the hustle bustle was quite interesting. Santacruz station is walkable and so is the skywalk, which provides a good shelter from the weather, for a good walk. The price is also reasonable and it is a true value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the rear of the hotel are quieter as the ones in front face the main road
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business