“worst service ever”

The Gordon House Hotel
Ranked #84 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Madrid, Spain
“worst service ever”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

they confirmed our booking 15 days in advance and cancelled it 48 hours in advance. this was the mail they sent:
"We regret to inform you that due to some unavoidable circumstances we will not be able to accommodate you at our hotel hence requesting you to please make reservations with some other hotel for your stay.
We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused to you in this regard".
the funny part is that if I cancel a booking or no show they charge me on my credit card. if the cancel, just an email.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Juan G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 20 March 2012

1. The Experience:

An unexpected layover in Mumbai brought me to the Gordon House. I reached there quite late and my chauffeur literally had to wake up the guards so that I could enter. As I walked up the relatively narrow stairwell and into the lift that took me to the 'lobby' I felt slightly disappointed. This feeling increased as I walked through what I would call a 'converted' terrace that served as the lobby. Check in took some time as the room had not been cleaned. I could not get my return tickets printed at the lobby as the 'Business Center' was closed. After a day of hard work I had to be content with making my own coffee as they said 'Room Service will be very delayed'.

I would have liked the room if it had not been so quirkily designed. The view was also not that great. I could see the narrow road in front of the Hotel from there. The next day breakfast - Omlette, Toast and Tea - came around 10 mins delayed but tasted great. Exit formalities took me quite a long time because - the printer was not working, network was down etc. etc. This almost made me miss my flight!

2. The Ratings:
a. Location - Close to the Business District and attractions in South Mumbai
b. Room Service - Needs to improve considerably if it wants to cater to business customers
c. Room Decor - Quirky and mildly retro. Good if you like it but irritating if you dont
d. Reception/Support - Needs to improve. The Staff seem ernest but are not very effective.

3. Summary: I recommend Gordon House for a short holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road and/or on higher floors offer a better view
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank ArunKrishnaPillai
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Everything started out nicely with this hotel, until they referred us to their travel agent. My friend and I decided to book the train to Goa for a few days, and their agent arranged the tickets for us. We paid him for the class we wanted, and getting down there was fine. When we got to the train station we found that their travel agent had cancelled our tickets leaving us in Goa with no way back to Mumbai! We ended up getting a cab to the airport, and paid even more for airfare back.
The hotel refused to do anything about the situation, and kept saying it was the travel agent's fault. Well, they've been using this agent for almost 10 years. And we're your guest, and you referred us to this man. The hotel didn't even apologize for the situation, and treated us as if the situation was our own fault. I would never stay here again; they have no respect for their guest. They really don't care about you once they have your money. Keep looking!

Room Tip: Get one at another hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Schaubeliz

Travellers are raving about these Mumbai (Bombay) hotels

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Being met by Rahul the most amazing and excitable concierge in hospitality was very fun and refreshing after a month traveling India! This was our splash out after traveling on a shoestring. The hotel is fantastic by Indian standard. It is comfortable and clean....great bed. There were a few minor matainance issues that pegged back the overall look and feel of an expensive hotel, however it was nice and made excellent by Rahul the amazing!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Jimmons
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 15 February 2012

The staff were so friendly and genuinely helpful. The location is perfect, a minute from the Gate of India. But everything else was disappointing. This is not a cool boutique hotel - the label is laughable. Yes it's small, but that's not enough to qualify it as boutique. We stayed on the 'Swedish' floor, which appeared to mean shabby cheaper than Ikea furniture with laminate ash flooring and a cramped basic shower-room. The restaurant is pleasant but food bland - a crime surely in India? This is a perfectly okay place to stay if you're passing through Mumbai - clean, safe, well-located - but just don't fall for the rave reviews or its website pictures. This is not going to appear in a Mr & Mrs Smith book !

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Fikoukla
Munich, Bayern, Germany
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We loved the The Gordon House Hotel! it was very cool, we stayed on the 4th floor with a nice bathroom and TV, CD and Tee cattle. We were able to walk to all major sights in Kolaba, even at night. We enjoyed the breakfast and we had really friendly porters that helped us with every booking.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 76Elli
Gurgaon
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stayed here for 1N during a quick business trip. The only reason I stayed here was that this was close to my meeting location and I didn't want to travel in rush hour. I was really happy to have made this choice. Located in the back alleys of the Colaba causeway area, nothing can beat the location.
Walking distance to Leopold, Gateway of India, Bade Mian, Taj Mahal Hotel, and many such Bombay landmarks is a definite advantage of the hotel. The hotel is also known for its great Chinese dining place called 'All Stir Fry' and is home to a happening nightspot called 'polly esthers'
The service isn't all that great, but it is more than compensated for by the quirky rooms. Each floor has a theme that the rooms adhere to. I stayed on the Mediterranean floor and the room was nicely done. The bed was comfortable, but the bathroom area was pretty cramped. The check in also happens on the lobby on the 2nd floor. When I stayed here, the exterior was undergoing renovation, but it didn't impact my stay as the workers were not present at the night-time.
Would definitely like to stay here as compared to Juhu, where I usually stay

Room Tip: Grab some breakfast at Leoplod and some Lebanese/iranian dinner at Picadilly
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business