“Bombay Sapphire - A Great Hotel”
Review of Grand Hyatt Mumbai

Grand Hyatt Mumbai
Ranked #23 of 458 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Note to self...when booking a hotel in India, always ask if there is a wedding in house.
This hotel is huge, more than 500 rooms. It seemed that every single nook and cranny of the hotel was taken up the weekend I stayed with a million dollar wedding.

This impacted in small ways...the lobby was loud and boisterous most times and on a personal and selfish level, it meant as a Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum member, I wasn't able to be upgraded to a bigger room as is the practice.

But, those are essentially white girl problems.The Hyatts in India are among my favorite, the rooms are always well appointed, staff unfailingly polite and well trained and the dining outlets superb. This hotel is no exception.

Despite the "train station" feel of the lobby, the rooms are quiet. On check in, in spite of requesting a Club room, I was told I had been assigned one of Hyatt's new "women Friendly rooms". I did feel a little cheated, one of the points of taking a club room, is proximity to the lounge and other facilities. this room, part of it's new push for women travelers, was on the top floor and a reasonable hike from the elevator. The check in staff also failed to tell me what these supposed new facilities were aside from the "healthy menu" (which I couldn't find in the room).

I was tired and grumpy, so took it after some limp protestation. The next morning, left to my own devices, I discovered what this meant, to my pleasant surprise. Inside the (small - one point to be aware of - hardly enough room to hang clothes) was a selection of extra amenities including hairspray, deodorant, mouthwash, nail polish remover and other female friendly items. The point being that I don't need to bring these items when I travel. It was excellent. Also, the bath tub (big and roomy, just how I like it), had some added extras including bath salts and lovely hand made soaps.

Suddenly, all was forgiven.

The room itself, was very small by regional standards, but well appointed. The free internet was fast and reliable and there was a decent selection of English TV channels. The bed and pillows were the excellent Hyatt standard.

One day I ordered room service for breakfast - Indian style bread stuffed with potato and cauliflower. It was terrific and delivered steaming hot.

The Club Floor, on level one, was one of the biggest i have seen, and the daily breakfasts included a continental buffet with an option of egg dishes and Indian specialties a la carte. I tried the Indian savory pancakes, which were delicious. Evening cocktails were equally as great, with a selection of mixed drinks plus wine and beer. It was extremely busy for my visits but service was attentive.

As i was on a leisure trip, the concierge organized me a driver and guide for the city, which was fantastic and well priced. staff briefed the drivers on both days about my interests and I was extremely well taken care of.

The dining options at GHM include an Indian, Chinese, Italian and Continental. I was fortunate to try the Indian - Soma. I had a special request for a particular off menu dish and this was prepared and served in style. Service was great and the other dishes I tried also excellent.

China House, the Asian restaurant is exceptional. I had a dim sum lunch before heading to the airport. Shipra the manager went to great lengths for my entire stay to ensure I was well looked after - she is a Mumbai native and knows the city back to front.

Although I do tend to try and eat local, if you are in Mumbai and like Chinese food and need a break from the spice, this is a MUST TRY especially the hand made dumplings and the Beggars Chicken. Also try a house cocktail - amazing.

Sadly I didn't have a chance to try the pool or spa facilities, I will leave that to next time. The shopping mall attached to the hotel will also have to wait, I hear there are some great designer stores inside.

The Club room rates include free airport transfers, a great savings if you are traveling on leisure. the hotel is around 15-20 minutes in good traffic from the airport and another 20 mins or so to the city. Location wise, it's not ideal for business but it gives a great impression of serenity despite being in a less than fabulous area (the road in is an eye opener).

One final word on service, I did have some minor gripes, but without fail senior members of staff addressed me by name, asked after my day and treated me like family. Other staff were just as excellent, from the doormen through to the housekeepers.

Mumbai is a cosmopolitan and fascinating city. If you are there looking for great, personalized service and temporary home in this crazy city, this is your place.

Room Tip: Booking a club room gives you free airport transfers.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank rachelannmorris
Grand Hyatt M, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Dear Valued Reviewer

Warm Greetings from Grand Hyatt Mumbai! Thank you for your valued feedback. We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful time at our hotel during your visit to Mumbai and thoroughly enjoyed your leisure time with us.

It gives us much joy in knowing that you liked the overall quality of accommodation, internet services in our rooms, room service and the newly introduced ‘Woman’s Experience’ program that caters to the wants and needs of the single woman traveller. The Women’s Experience program has been specially launched to cater to the customised needs of our single lady travellers to create a welcoming and unique experience for women that include dermatological-sound bath products, healthy meal menus, specially designated rooms with optimum safety and security, amongst a host of other offerings.

In addition we are thrilled to know that liked the services at Grand Club including the breakfast, evening cocktails and complimentary airport transfers, the guided tour around the city, food at our award-winning restaurants especially Soma and China House and the overall service extended by our staff at the concierge, Grand Club, restaurants and various locations around the hotel that made you feel at home.

Conveniently located in the heart of the city, Grand Hyatt Mumbai is located 20 minutes away from the international airport and is suitable for both business and leisure travellers as it is situated within close proximity to the central business district of Bandra Kurla Complex and the various leisure hubs around the city.

While we are happy that you truly enjoyed your time with us, we regret any inconvenience that the social events being conducted around the hotel may have caused you. We are also glad that our staff was able to address issues that you faced and were able to address them promptly.

We once again thank you for your wonderful feedback and sincerely look forward to welcome you again at Grand Hyatt Mumbai during your next visit to the city!

Reviewed 16 March 2013

over all the hotel is good ,but if the breakfast is included in the room rate will be much better ,as the room rate is too expensive .also if the remaining given by hard currency not local currency will ease the check out process , no point of having local currency while leaving the country .

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank aayusef
Grand Hyatt M, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Dear Valued Reviewer

Warm Greetings from Grand Hyatt Mumbai! Thank you for your valued feedback. We are happy that you liked our hotel and had a good time during your stay with us.

In regard to the breakfast we serve, guests staying in our Club Rooms and Suites are served complimentary Continental breakfast at the executive Club Lounge. In addition, our concierge offers money exchange facilities where foreign currency can be exchanged for Indian currency. Indian currency can be exchange for foreign currency at the Mumbai Airport Foreign Exchange desk.

We once again thank you for your feedback and truly look forward to welcome you again at Grand Hyatt Mumbai.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

The location is great just close to the domestic airport
and just off the western express highway .
Stayed there for 1 night prompt check in ,
it is a long walk to the rooms as it is a big hotel .
Rooms are big and bathrooms are chic . Options of fine dinning
Indian -Chinese etc are on Lobby level along with
the Bar , the atmosphere is vibrant . Food is good
and service is perfect .
Was late for breakfast so could not enjoy it maybe next time ,
it is Grand Hyatt .

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Oyster_king007

Dear Valued Reviewer

Warm Greetings from Grand Hyatt Mumbai! Thank you for your kind feedback. We are glad that you liked the convenient location of our hotel from the domestic airport, quick check in at the front desk, overall quality of accommodation we offer, food, ambience and service at our award-winning restaurants especially Soma, China House and The Bar.

We are sorry to hear that you missed our sumptuous breakfast spread and certainly hope that you get the opportunity to try it out the next time you visit us.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Was at the grand hyatt in mumbai a week back. the hotel was great except for the approach road which seemed awful. the check-in was quick and the rooms well appointed. the prices for food etc seemed in line with most five star properties in the city. the only thing i found strange was that this seems one of the only few hotels i've been to where they charge exorbitant amounts for internet access. it costs abt 400 INR per hour that seems rather excessive.

great place otherwise will recommend

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Rohitthar12
Grand Hyatt M, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Dear Valued Reviewer

Warm Greetings from Grand Hyatt Mumbai! Thank you for your valued feedback. We are happy to know that you liked our hotel, the hassle free check-in procedures, overall quality of accommodation that we offer and the food and pricing at our award-winning restaurants.

In regard to the internet services we provide, our guests can choose from a 1 hour package of either wired or wireless internet which is Rs. 400 inclusive of taxes or can opt for the 24-hour package which is Rs. 900 inclusive of taxes. Guests staying in our Club rooms and Suites can avail complimentary internet access whereas guests staying in our Grand Rooms can access the Internet by getting an Internet card from the Business Centre. For further detailed information on the internet services we provide kindly visit the Guest Services section of our hotel website. http://mumbai.grand.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-mumbai-grand/services/internet/index.jsp

Reviewed 14 March 2013

I am regular guest at the Grand Hyatt! Today when I returned to the hotel after a long day of meetings I couldn't sleep because of loud music from a party downstairs.

When I complained (at midnight) that the music was disturbing my sleep I was told that it would go on for another hour or so.

So the hotel is more intent on pleasing its event commitments rather than its weary travelers! Very callous attitude in the responses too, this despite being a platinum gold passport member.

So if you are looking for sleep after a hard day, this hotel is not for you! Stay away!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Srini V
Grand Hyatt M, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Dear Valued Reviewer

Warm Greetings from Grand Hyatt Mumbai! Thank you for your valued feedback. We are terribly sorry to hear about the discomfort you faced during your stay with us owing to an event that was being conducted at our banquet spaces.

The comfort of our esteemed guests such as yourself is of utmost and primary importance to us. Further to your request for the noise to be lowered, our Banquets team was cooperative in reducing the volume of music emanating from our Ballrooms post which our Duty Manager and Front Office Assistant manager met you and apologised for the inconvenience caused and graciously offered you another room to sleep in. We hope you had a comfortable night’s sleep with the alternate arrangements that were provided.

Please be rest assured that your feedback has been communicated across to the concerned departments.

We once again regret the inconvenience caused late in the night and sincerely hope that you reconsider returning to Grand Hyatt Mumbai, as we would indeed welcome the opportunity in personally welcoming you back to one of our luxurious suites so we may in some way regain your confidence.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

This hotel is located near to domestic airport .
The welcome was warm with checkin process bit slow .
The rooms are small but ambience is good .
The food is good .
The concierge is good and very helpful .
I would rate this hotel bit expensive .

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Dear Valued Reviewer

Warm Greetings from Grand Hyatt Mumbai! Thank you for your valued feedback. We are happy to know that you liked the convenient location of our hotel from the domestic airport, the overall quality of accommodation we offer, food at our award-winning restaurants and the service extended by our staff at the concierge desk and around the hotel.

While we are delighted that you had a comfortable stay with us we regret any inconvenience that may have been caused to yourself due to the slow check in process.

Reviewed 12 March 2013 via mobile

It was a short stay, as was a connection place for onward travel to London. I've never busted Mumbai so wasn't sure about the location ( from address states off Express Highway). But once your in the hotel you don't hear a sound off the busy Indian roads.
Sitting outside by poolside even there is no disturbance of noises off the street.
Hotel is absolutely fabulous as you will find everything you need from various cuisine restaurants to designer shopping in the indoor hotel plaza.
We picked up some gifts and souvenirs from the shops which I presume are leased as they are not Hyatt shops.
You will of course end up spending 3 times or more than what you would for goods inside the hotel. But we decided to stay in the hotel and enjoy a relaxing retreat away from busy India.
You can book in for a Spa treatment or visit the hair & beauty salon as their service is punctual and will explain clearly anything you doubt.
We stayed in Grand Club room and it was very clean and spacious.
The main thing with this hotel is that staff are friendly and always happy to assist.
We were very pleased with the standards and exceptional service.
It's good even with kids as the pool is clean and fairly ok in size compared to other hotels and hotel had floats and inflatables for kids to play on.
Definitely would stay there again if I stayed in Mumbai.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Valued Reviewer

Warm Greetings from Grand Hyatt Mumbai! Thank you for your kind feedback. It gives much much joy in knowing that you had a wonderful time at our hotel during your stopover in Mumbai and enjoyed the various facilities and services we extend to our esteemed guests.

We are happy to hear that you liked the overall quality of accommodation in our Club Room which is located on the executive floors of the hotel, food at our award-winning restaurants, multitude of shopping options at the Grand Hyatt Plaza, spa treatments and the pool at Club Oasis – Fitness Centre and Spa, hair and beauty services at Christiaan Georgio and the warm and hospitable service extended by our staff.

We once again thank you for your feedback and truly look forward to welcome you again at Grand Hyatt Mumbai during your next visit to the city.