“5-Star Comfort - Sea View Included”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Marine Plaza

Hotel Marine Plaza
Ranked #39 of 444 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Pune
“5-Star Comfort - Sea View Included”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

The excellent location right on the cusp of Marine Drive gives Hotel Marine Plaza its usp
and the size of the hotel is just right to provide a cozy and home away from home feeling.
The rooms are located on 5 floors around a central atrium and the morning breakfast if served in the Plaza coffee shop with a sweeping sea view. A popular pub cafe Geoffreys is located at the lobby level.
One would naturally prefer to choose a room with a sea view if available and you will not be disappointed. The flow of early morning and evening walkers on the promenade provides a moving picture show. The bathroom was well appointed and wi-fi is complimentary.
The quality of breakfast and buffet dinner was up to the mark and the entire hotel is efficiently administered by Sanjeev Shekhar-GM and his team (Hemant,Neha et al) with due attention to customer service and courtesy. The arrangements for our conference were smoothly and efficiently organized.
Hotel Marine Plaza is part of the Sarovar chain of hotels which are setting new standards in the hospitality industry.

Room Tip: Rooms which are sea facing on any floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
HMPMumbai, Manager at Hotel Marine Plaza, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind appreciation.

We are pleased to know your stay went off well and I'm sure the entire team would be excited to read this review.

This is feedback that we strive to achieve on a daily basis.

We look forward to having you back and Best Wishes from all of us here at Team HMP.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
hyderabad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

My stay at the Marine Plaza was excellent for a few reasons. The staff at the reception was very courteous and patient in understanding our needs. They represent beautifully the working culture of this hotel. The room was spotlessly clean and needless to say with a beautiful view of the sea. Despite being on the road side, there was no noise filtering into the room and I had a sound sleep. The breakfast spread was a perfect blend of Indian and continental food. The Executive - Sales cum Chef came to our table to find out about the quality of food and service, which is a professional gesture. Unfortunately we could not make use of the beautiful pool on the terrace. The only inconvenience that I faced was from one of the doormen, who kept thanking us unnecessarily and n-number of times (please read it as pressure on the guests to tip him). Because of that, it was irritating to stand out and wait for the car to drive up to the kerb, we were forced to stay within the lobby, whereas we wanted to stand out and enjoy the beautiful breeze coming from the sea. Overall, my stay there was memorable and I left on a happy note wanting to go back and stay.

Room Tip: Suites on the first floor have a diagonal view of the sea, but the suites are spacious and very invi...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

It's great to know that your stay went off well and we couldn't be more pleased. I'm sure the team will be excited to know this.

Your comment on the Doorman is not lost and we will address the same during our daily briefings There's much to learn.

We thank you for your patronage and do hope this visit is one of many.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed here in July 2014 on holiday after going through several reviews of hotels on the trip advisor website and on the recommendation of my workplace which has an office in mumbai. The hotel is a great hotel well maintained and the staff were extremely helpful and courteous. The person at the reception and concierge helped us navigate mumbai to get to the locations we wanted to go to with minimal hassle. If its your first time in mumbai I would highly recommend this hotel. We stayed here for four night.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brianvs2014
Dear Guest

Its refreshing to hear such feedback.

We couldn't be more proud of the team. There is no substitution for hard work and sincerity and to see it play out on the front end in terms of guest satisfaction can be quite rewarding.

We look forward to seeing you'll again and have a Wonderful year ahead.

Best Wishes

Valencia, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the marine plaza for a night and chose it due to its proximity to the place I needed to visit.

My flight was landing at 5:30am and I booked this hotel letting them know that I wanted an early check in - to which they agreed.

I reached the hotel by 6:30-7:00am and there was no room available.

We waited in the lobby which was extremely garish and stinking - the stench you get when something turns old and mouldy.

Finally at around 9:00am we were directed to our suite, which was pleasant.

Thankfully the room didn't stink.

For paying INR 8500, I don't think it was worth it. I would've rather stayed at the Oberoi or Taj who at the same time were charging about INR 10000.

We ordered lunch, which took a while to come and came without cutlery. Had to wait another 15 odd minutes for the cutlery to come.

Breakfast was decent. Variety average. The good was slightly on the oilier side.

Won't stay here again to save about 1000-1500, when there are other options available.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bsamnani
HMPMumbai, Manager at Hotel Marine Plaza, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for this feedback.

We apologise for not having a room available for an early check-in. Its because of a full house situation the previous night and us not having any early departures on the day itself. As a hotel policy our check-in and check-out times are 12:00 noon and It is always advisable to pre-block your room from the previous night itself, to guarantee the same at the time of check-in.

We reiterate this in all our correspondence and booking confirmations that go out to all our guests.

Your review will be shared with the team. There is much to learn.

We accept it humbly and will address the gaps highlighted.

Sincerely

New Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Pool : The pool is pretty small. Its not for people who are looking for a good swim. The pool also closes pretty early i.e. 6pm. there are not much people at the pool.

Room : Rooms are spacious and the décor is average.

Staff : The Staff is very courteous.

Property : It is located on Marine Drive, its is one of the best locations to stay in Mumbai. Property as a whole is reasonably maintained.

Food : Food is average. I stayed there for 3 days and the buffet breakfast had almost the same menu every day with barely any noticeable changes. I tried stir fired noodles at on of their restaurants " The Orient" i must say they were the most pathetic noodles i ever tasted in my life. Avoid this restaurant.

Checkout & Check in : It was smooth. They upgraded me to Executive Suite which had a reasonably good view of the sea. I was pretty happy about the upgrade.

There is this weird smell in this hotel, from the hotel side this might be a fragrance but not as far as I am concerned.

Room Tip: Go for Sea view room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
HMPMumbai, Manager at Hotel Marine Plaza, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Guests

Thank you very much for this feedback. We appreciate your candour and would work on the areas that can be improved.

We do hope to see you again and our very best from all at Team HMP.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

CHEATERS & INSENSITIVE- This is how i would like to describe the staff. They still think they are working in some local hotel near to the railway station
My experience was horrible which led me to promise myself to never come back to this shady property.
Having stayed at Sarovar properties, I expected the same from this place but was shocked and amazed!!!

I recently stayed at the hotel for two nights. The website says that superior rooms are beach facing. I called the reception to confirm post which I did an online booking. While checking in the hotel, when i asked that whether the room was sea facing, I was told that the rooms were all occupied and i would be definitely given a sea facing room the next day. As it was already 10 in the night, I happily agreed.
Next day, they changed my room with a 10% side view to the sea. When I asked that what about the commitment, i was told that it was the fault of the person at the reception in the morning who didn't allot the room. And a smiling apology was given.
DUDE WHERE WAS THE COMMITMENT? I am not interested in your inter office politics. I am paying you and i want a room of my choice.

Next day, I had an office colleague with me as we had to work together till early morning to finish the work. My guest was stopped at the reception and i was told that it is a management policy to not allow guests after 9 for more than 15 mins in the room. After i created a ruck-us, i was allowed to take him in.

SOMEONE TEACHES THESE PEOPLE HOW TO HANDLE GUESTS!!!
At night, there is no manager in the hotel and the entire management in at the mercy of low grade employees who have not been given powers to take decisions. They commit to the guests but all of it is in vain

On papers, the hotel a 5 star property. But Mr CEO of the Sarovar Group, I am sorry to say that the stay is not worth it. Scarcity of place in Mumbai is giving you guests on a regular basis but beware it won't be long that this place will create a bad name in the market.

Food is also pathetic
1) Breakfast buffet: Frozen idli’s, cold pita breads, YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR A COLD COFFEE, no mangoes’ in mango season etc etc .
2) Bayview restaurant: Mutton’s gravy not cooked properly, cold naans etc

After reading the reviews onTripadvisor, I could figure out that all my comments would fall on deaf years and I WOULD BE PROVIDED WITH A STANDARD REPLY APOLOGISING AND REQUESTING FOR AN OPPURTUNITY AGAIN. But, this is something serious you guys need to cater. The experience is highly SHAMEFUL for the management. Train the staff and improve the management so that people at least happily spend the night after paying such a high price for the room or make it a 2.5 stars hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
8 Thank Shikhar M
HMPMumbai, Manager at Hotel Marine Plaza, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Guest

I'm sorry to hear your about your most recent stay and dismayed by the level of dissatisfaction created. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the team.

I must clarify however that we have no intentions of cheating any guests and although you may have every right to hold an opinion we may not necessarily agree with you on the same.

As a hotel we have been around for sometime and have been well received by many as you can personally review on many of the sites online. We may not be perfect, however we have every intention of taking constructive feedback and working on improving ourselves.

On security its a conscious choice made by the management that visitors should not be allowed after 21:00. Its safety and privacy for all our guests that is paramount out here . You always have the choice of having your guest register with the hotel with proper identity details and pay the difference for the double occupancy.

On Superior rooms we do have a few rooms that aren't sea facing and we did our very best the next day and upgraded you to our Executive Suite . Its not 100% sea facing but i could vouch for it being 80% . We are sorry for having failed to meet this requirement of yours on Day 1. It's only because of the increased demand that we get from all our guests requesting for sea facing rooms., that at times it becomes impossible to meet all requirements.

Your comments on food and beverage is not lost and we will revisit this with the sections concerned.

We wish you well and have a have a Great year.

Sincerely

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I booked to stay here for three nights at the end of a 26 day 6* luxury small ship cruise, purely from information gleaned from the web. We all hope we've made the right choice, but still feel a little apprehensive when we eventually arrive. I need not have worried, the service I received from the time the taxi pulled up to the time I left for the airport (taxi arranged by the hotel at a competitive rate) was equal to the service I had got so used to on-board ship
My single room (available on arrival at 10.30am with no warning) had the office/ante-room as mentioned by others and a spacious bedroom. Even though it was side facing I could still get a good view of the sea. There was a recent comment that housekeeping could have been better, but I found everything spotless, and had a ring at the door every evening about 6.00pm asking to tidy the room and deliver some tasty cakes/savouries - which I thought was a lovely touch.

The included breakfast buffet had a wide variety of hot (mainly Indian) and cold dishes, loads of choice for non-curry lovers like me! I also ate here one night with a wonderful outlook over the bay. There is also a separate Chinese restaurant with a good local reputation that no-one else seems to have mentioned. A lovely room and great menu, The only reason I didn't try it is that the beauty of a Chinese meal to me is sharing lots of dishes - not so good on your own.

THE ONE NEGATIVE COMMENT.The roof terrace and pool have superb views. Unfortunately, it has no chairs and tables set out, apart from a private function while I was there. This would be a wonderful place for a smoker to have a cigarette and a drink in comfort outdoors, rather than standing outside the front entrance, or on the pavement. Also I would certainly have used the pool if there had been a few sun-beds available. Having said that, I did strike a rapport with the doormen who did some good taxi deals for me! Every cloud.......

I went to The Oberoi (the new ultimate Mumbai hotel) one block away and they have exactly the same view from their bar and restaurant, but at four times the price! Also went to The Taj Palace, again to meet friends for lunch where the service was appalling.

The Marine Plaza is perfect for independent travellers looking for a smaller sleek hotel with good service, staff who at least recognise your face and a wonderful position, rather than staying at a corporate behemoth. You might even be lucky enough, as I was, to see a very colourful local wedding party departing!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for this feedback.

Its wonderful to know that you enjoyed your stay and left with fond memories. Thats what we strive to achieve with all our guests.

I would like to apprise you that we do have Sun Deck chairs available on the terrace. and we will definitely look into your comment of having a couple of chairs and tables in addition, for a drink.

Our Geoffreys Bar on the lobby level does have a smoking section and you don't need to step out of the hotel for a smoke due to the Government imposed smoking ban in Public spaces.

Your comments will be shared with the team and I'm sure everyone would be excited to hear this feedback.

We look forward to many more visits.