“Barely OK..”
Review of Cowie's Hotel

Cowie's Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mumbai (Bombay)
Cowie's Hotel
Ranked #190 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed 25 August 2013

After having gone through a very negative experience in another hotel in the same area, Cowie was the only alternative we had left in our price range (US$50)...we did feel staff were only interested in our money and all smiles disappear once you check-in...room was shabby, not clean enough but not disgustingly filthy either (we always carry disinfecting wipes, Lysol, etc and checked for bedbugs)..location was OK in Colaba area..

US$50 is a lot for a hotel room in India although Mumbai is quite pricey but for this type of rate, you'd at least expect something clean and decent but it was never our case...we have however, experienced great hotels and guesthouses where we paid much less but received far more than the places we've stayed at in Mumbai

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Buquing

Reviewed 5 May 2012

We decided to treat ourselves and stay in a slightly more expensive hotel for a night. It was just OK in the end.

The location is good, in central Colaba. The room was big and quite clean but there were still cockroaches that came out at night! (you don't expect that when paying so much) the bathroom has a reasonable shower but the toilet was dodgy and quite an effort to flush each time. The bed was the best thing in the room. After almost 6 months in India it was marvellous to sleep on an actual sprung mattress with 2 pillows each.

The included breakfast was basic (toast, coffee and eggs) but very well done and delivered hot. (There is no restaurant in the hotel.) The modern a/c unit worked well.

The bad point was the staff. They practically took stuff out of our arms to carry it to the lift then stood expectantly in the middle of the room (bell boy and security guard) directly asking for tips! It seemed they were not going to leave without anything and when we said we had no change they said "don't worry, we have change"!! We eventually paid them a small tip and that is all they got from our entire stay, even though we were asked directly for "good luck" tips several times during our stay and when leaving (it was only 1 night!)

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Minisuitcase
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights and didnt like it.
Rooms are not clean, breakfast is awful and the price is way to high for India.
Not recommended!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BasBerlin
Reviewed 12 March 2011

After settled nicely after long train travels in bed I soon discovered that it was a bed bug feast where I was lying. I wasn't allowed to leave the hotel in the night and they put me in another room without a window. Also in that bed there were bed bugs. The day after I of course thought they would give me the room for free, and offer me the breakfast for free. Instead they wanted me to pay full prize, when I told them they were crazy first letting me sleep with bugs and after calling me stupid (making me pay full prize) they threatted me with the police. After saying OK to be taken to the police station and noticing the emptiness in the threat I got the prize down from 2200 tol 1000 rupies, wich of course isn't acceptable, but I preferred it to to spend the day hazzeling with police and rude hotel owners.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Orsom8
Reviewed 1 March 2011

Dirty linen, 1 towel for 2 people, bathroom window in full view of hotel opposite the street (no it didn't close", leaking aircon, filthy, filthy corridors (I'm sure a crack house is cleaner).... need I say more! After 1 night... had to make a speedy escape!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank marlinwebster
Reviewed 3 February 2011

I stayed here for five days with my mother. As this was her first trip to India, I wanted to stay somewhere that was a little quieter to help her acclimatise. I searched on foot the many hotels in Colaba and chose Cowie's as it had some nice rooms for the price (2600 rupees for a twin, 35 pounds). We stayed in a spacious room with windows, AC, tv and fridge. The fan was very noisy, but it wasn't repaired after asking. We put up with it. The room was reasonably clean (not spotless), the beds were fairly comfortable with clean sheets, and the bathroom was clean with hot water. The decor was in need of upgrading (peeling paint etc). There was breakfast from 8-10am served in your room (eggs, toast and tea/coffee). The hotel managers were fairly helpful (Monu and Sonu) if not a little dismissive at times, and the other staff were very friendly. The hotel has in parts a colonial charm about it. It was a real shame then that on the day we checked out, the staff made it very obvious that they were hoping for a tip by coming up to the room several times saying they were going 'off shift' before all waiting outside, and when that didn't work, directly asking. I didn't oblige as the service wasn't great and we had to ask for our room to be cleaned every day otherwise it was left. I have never before encountered such impolite behaviour in a hotel in India (thankfully). Unfortunately this marred an otherwise pleasant stay at a reasonable budget hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank Spiderpoo
Reviewed 10 January 2011

Before I flew to Mumbai, I'd read that hotels were pricey and that it would be a good idea to book ahead. I hardly ever book ahead, but used Tripadvisor to select what I thought was a decent place to stay for the first few nights. Bad choice!

I checked in after 4pm, and had to wait 20 mins for the room to be made up. When I was told it was ready, I went up in the (very noisy) lift and found 2 guys still cleaning it. It was a total mess! Empty bottles everywhere, dirty sheets etc...
After another 5 minutes, they said it was ready. I checked the balcony, and saw bird sh** all along it. Hey, if you're paying for a balcony, it should at least be clean enough to stand on, right? The guy cleaned it, a little, and there I was.

On reflection, the 2200 Rs I paid for this room was the most I had to pay during my entire trip. Next time I'll check out a few other places, as for 2K I'm sure there are places out there that are at least clean.

If there's no choice and you literally HAVE to stay there, DO NOT get a room near the lift, as it is in almost constant use and will keep you awake.

On the plus side, it's in Colaba just off Causeway road, and only about 40 mins walk from CST Railway Station. And the rooms are very spacious.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo