“A lot has changed”
Review of Hotel Godwin

Hotel Godwin
Ranked #133 of 452 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Stayed here on 3 March 2014. Met by Mr Singh at the reception who recognised me from our December 2009 stay. He gave me a room at 7.30am (the check-in time being 1200 noon) without any extra charge. Mr Singh, thank you for your kind gesture. The other reception attendants with whom I later interacted were okay but nowhere near Mr Singh's personality. A taxi was arranged to take me around Mumbai that day and to Nashik and Shirdi the following day and back. The driver, Shera, turned out to be a talkative fellow, always in a rush and more concerned about his other Dubai, Bangalore, etc, clients, who 'kept ringing for him to take them out in an hours notice'. Despite me having hired this cabby's vehicle for the whole day on agreed charges, this fellow always was in a rush to get to his other 'clients'. His laid back attitude (such as 'I will try to come at your time of 8.30am unless I sleep late Sirji') was not pleasant and I had to put my foot down.
My room at Godwin had seen much better days, the shower was defective and overall, the price was way high above actual value. Waiters in the breakfast restaurant were more keen to serve the fair skinned tourists. Certainly I did not get moneys worth at Godwin this time. Upon return from Shirdi, checked into a hotel in Juhu which turned out to be better value.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Godwin

Reviewed 16 March 2014

I stayed here because it was close to colaba area, you can walk around to attractions, my initial hotel room was dirty, i arrived late at night & was not impressed, but they shifted me to another room, the area to lift is awkward, as its close to reception, seems congested, my 2nd night stay I got a better room, with handwash, as lower level rooms don't portray such luxuries, i also had some view of the ocean, management was quiet friendly to me, I didnt enjoy the breakfasts, for majority foreigners staying at the Godwin, i expected more on the breakfast side, the cereal dispenser was broken, I didn't like the indian dishes for breakfast in the am, breakfast area didn't look clean, i would say as first time in Mumbai, try & book 5 star so worth it!! This was average stay, they were accomadating to me, but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank PrettyP1979
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I stayed in Hotel Godwin for my last 2 nights in India, and I am delighted I did! It was by far the best hotel experience I had in my 2 month trip. The room was clean, as was the bathroom which was up to western standards. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. The food in the restaurant was fantastic, and the views from the roof top were in themselves reason enough to stay at this hotel! I would highly recommend staying here. Location wise a brilliant choice too.

Room Tip: The first room I was shown was on the 4th floor and I didn't like it, but the room I was offered...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 March 2014

After a two-week tour of Rajasthan and Aurangabad, we ended our trip with one night at Hotel Godwin. We had two rooms on the second floor. They were dirty with mold and cockroaches in the bathroom. The location and roof-top restaurant were great but don't make up for the dirt and run-down state of the hotel, the lumpy mattress, the below-average breakfast and the poor service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Wanderbug38
Reviewed 7 March 2014

The location was excellent being right in the heart of the Colaba district. It is minutes from India Gate. The food and the atmosphere in the roof top restaurant was very good. The room was spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ACL644
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 2 nights at beginning of trip. Payed extra to get top floor because downstairs rooms looked even more grubby and depressing. Service was minimal and everyone was asking for tips (eg for pressing the elevator button).
Pretends to be a fancy hotel but is way too run down.
The terrace restaurant is nice for a drink, but food was terrible - the most tasteless veg biriyani you can imagine, out of frozen veggies probably.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Ieva r
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed at the hotel on my last leg of my India trip. Very dissapointed, considering the rates. Room was Ok, walls were dirty, both bedside lamps not working, toilet was leaking and bathroom light worked intermittently. The hotel seemed a bit run down and breakfast service was absolutely poor. Staff were unhelpfull and unfriendly. At the time I had breakfast, there were no spoons, no forks and had to ask the waiter to provide. Reaction showed he didnt really give a damn. Other residetns shared the same feeling about the hotel and service. Made arrangements with one duty manager for a a late check out and the next duty manager was reluctant to honour the previosu duty managers agreement with me. My room looked old and run down and nothing like the pictures on the website, so yes, dissapointed. Front desk staff relatively helpfull in arranging a day tour, etc. The breakfast restaurant could do with a clean up and a makeover and better service.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms first before accepting the room they provide. Also, the room pictures on the we...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo