“Comfortable place, good location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of West End Hotel

West End Hotel
Ranked #106 of 440 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Manama, Bahrain
“Comfortable place, good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel in December 2013. I landed up at 6 am and they checked me into my room without slapping any extra charges for early arrival (which most hotels would have done) and that was great. The establishment dates back to 1947, the year India got independence and the management clearly wants to preserve this old-world charm, which I very much appreciated. My (double) room was quite spacious and clean. I especially enjoyed the breakfast buffet in the morning, which was very extensive, with many cooked dishes. I remember the lunch buffet being great as well. Since this is an old building, there was some issue with the light bulbs etc, but the management fixed it up very well. The only unreasonable part was the wifi, which I had to pay for, and which was quite expensive, around Rs 160/hour, if I remember correctly. Other than that, a great experience.

Room Tip: Opt for room on higher floors for a peaceful sleep at night.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Titiksha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

It isn't. The first impression on walking in, its a throwback to the 80s. I asked the receptionist about this. he said the owners want to keep it that way. Some may like it, I didn't. Having said that, the rooms were clean and large(not found in this area), furniture is antique or dated(take your pick), room service was prompt, AC worked well and toilet was clean with hot water from the shower in plenty. Sleep quality was not bad but there was a little traffic noise.A tea-heater would be nice in the rooms and it would help if the wifi was free. Breakfast is a buffet but forget taste, it was lousy. The immediate area around the hotel isn't the best. Lots of beggars but I never felt unsafe, just pestered. Stay here again ? Yes ONLY if I had business in the area, otherwise probably not.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

I liked my time at the west end. rooms are clean, basic and the service is also of good quality. I thought the breakfast buffet was very tasty. would be happy to come back and stay again.

small note - the free wifi isn't actually free though - slight disappointment really, but on my travels at least the rate here wasn't as bad as others.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Feltham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here as part of our month in India, we had 3 days in Mumbai. The room was spacious and pretty clean. We had a problem with no cold water in the shower which was fixed immediately. Room service was excellent, extremely quick and efficient. The restaurant was expensive for what you get - breakfast was average. You also have to pay for wifi which always feels like a cheek when a lot of lower priced hotels offer it for free. The man who checked us in on reception was very abrupt and brusque and answered every question as if you should know the answer. He also told us you have to have a separate wifi voucher for each device - not true!! So don't listen - other than him the service really was great though. Would recommend if you're looking for something close to the tourist attractions at a reasonable price.

• Stayed January 2014
Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

We lunched here and the food choice was good as were the waiters who were helpful and attentive. We later returned to change clothes and wait our sleeper train journey to Goa. The room was a bit shabby and well dated but a good size and the a/c worked fine. We tried out the hotel bar, which must date back to the 80's, but the waiters were very friendly and continuously topped up our table snacks, which were all free of charge.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Ahmedabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

This is at key location and very close very close to churchgate station.Though from the furniture and rooms, you can understand it is very old hotel but well maintained and neat and clean.staff is very prompt and offers good service

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Waikawa, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I first stayed here in March 2009 and have been there on and off for the following 2 years. It is not by choice, but rather due to cost. An average room costs around $120.00 NZ a night. AC is noisy, the rooms are very basic, room service is ridiculously expensive, breakfast menu is berry berry predictable BUT and there is a very big BUT..... The location compared to almost other triple the price hotels is very central and the staff (from the front desk, room service, lift boys to the car parking attendants) are amazing.....
When you enter the lobby, it feels like you have honestly stepped back in time.....huge big fans, decor to match and all that is missing is the ladies with fringe hats and the gentlemen looking dapper smoking cigars....

Rooms
Above average in size that normally has an AC window that has a bucket to catch excess water and that needs to be emptied daily. They do have baby cots, but I wouldn't recommend as I saw them repaint one with lead paint. There are smoking floors and the smell if you walk down the stairs is vulgar.

Room service
Costs an arm and a leg. Like most hotels, the food is bland and generic. The indian food is a combination of western/india and the continental food is the same lol..... Generally room service is quick and you can ask for just about anything. I called reception and asked if someone could go and get some medicine for me as my baby was asleep and it was no trouble. Granted that the Bombay Hospital is opposite and there are literally hundreds of chemists/pharmacys everywhere.

Environment
As the hotel is located next to the Bombay Hospital, outside there are literally hundreds of people with all sorts of ailments. Generally the noise level in the room is fine, although the AC can be at times noisy. If there is a function on the top floor/terrace - this will change.....the elevator will be blocked for hours as it is small and houses maybe 4 or 5 at a push and the music is unbelievably loud - but will finish at around 11 or 12.

Security
I always felt safe both in and around the hotel. I would often go for walks in the evening with my 2 children and although there are beggars, street dwellers and sick people I never felt unsafe. One of the hotel boys if asked will accompany you up and down the street for quick supplies.

Car Parking and or transport
Taxis live outside the hotel so you will always find a cab. Get the price per km first before you even hop in.
If you have a car although parking is limited the attendants will find you a place.

Do not go cheaper and book with Hotel Sapna or Hotel Fortune which is about a 2 minute walk away....the rooms are a quarter, no, no an eighth of the size and although looks cleanish...they both certainly are not....

I have to add that the majority of people that stayed here while I was there seemed to be business people. I was there with my husband and 2 children (2 years and 9 months) and as noted earlier we stayed there on and off for about 2 years (possibly a total of 10 stays). This was due to us visiting Mumbai to oversee our house being renovated. The staff always accomodated our needs, bringing hot water to heat bottles, using bottled water to wash and sterilise bottles, heating baby food for us etc.....

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family