“Very good experience”
Review of The Shalimar Hotel

The Shalimar Hotel
Ranked #61 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed 14 February 2013

This small boutique hotel is indeed a perfect small well run hotel. Right from the entrance where the security and the reception staff greet you with a traditional and pleasant namaste, to the fine excellent rooms. I stayed in a room at the back of the hotel. It was a smart category room as I was told by reception staff. Value for money, very comfortable accommodation. Decent breakfast spread, a vry nice pastry shop in the lobby. Had dinner in the restaurant- very good food. I could not visit the bar which I was quite keen on doing but did not get the time.
Surely on my next visit I will stay here. I was here for only a night but .next time would like to stay here for longer with the family. Good hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
TSHM, General Manager at The Shalimar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

Dear Roger3472

Thank you for the time that you have taken in providing a feedback of your stay with us.

We are pleased to note that you had a pleasant stay and carried back warm memories. We are also happy to note that you have expressed your desire to stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for The Shalimar Hotel

Reviewed 13 February 2013

The hotel itself is in a nice area but very small. The room that I had is quite spacious that comes with an air con. Location was good and quiet. The food in the restaurant was good and reasonably priced. Friendly staff and nice amenities.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear odivalkhorin

We are happy to note that you had a pleasant experience with us.

Reviewed 9 February 2013

The description 'average' is a little unfair but 'very good' would be deceptive. Its not bad at all and the staff are attentive. I had a front room on the 8th floor but the traffic noise was annoying so got changed to a side room which was much quieter.
The hotel has a few things to improve on but this was the end of a long trip and I had stayed in some shockers earlier on so it was definitely an improvement.
It is in a reasonably good area not far from the diamond and gold centres and a short walk from the seafront. This is Mumbai so adust your expectations accordingly and there you have it.
Bar was OK, opens at 7pm - kind of dark but acceptable. The place had a great patisserie and ice cream parlour on the ground floor, I didnt eat in apart from breakfast which was OK - for early risers, take note that the restaurant opens at 7am.
If I needed to return to Mumbai I would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Side or back rooms are best for sleep
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Keith1955
TSHM, General Manager at The Shalimar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Dear Keith1955

Thank you for the time that you have taken in providing us a feedback of your stay with us.

We are pleased to note that you intend to stay with us in future; though, would definitely like to know a little more detail on your expectations. We firmly believe in guest feedback and we have constantly tried to upgrade our facilities and services based on that.

Reviewed 8 February 2013

The location can't be beat. If you have activity in the Kemp's corner, Breach Candy or Pedder road area, this is the only decent property that you can stay at. Rooms are clean although a little small. Service is very good. However, WiFi is very expensive and of very poor quality. There were parts of the room where the signal was non existent. Also, would need to log in repeatedly, often every 10 minutes, as the system would throw me out.
No Kleenex face tissues in the room. Can't believe that a modern hotel does not provide face tissues.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
TSHM, General Manager at The Shalimar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2013

Dear stoprr

We believe that guest feedback provides us with the best guidelines to constantly improve and maintain our service standards. We have made note of your observations and will definitely work on the same.

We look forward to your continued support and patronage.

Reviewed 6 February 2013

My primary concern when i travel is which hotel I should stay. I am very finicky about hygiene ( Doctor, can't help it) comfort, good food and most important to feel safe being a woman.
One of my Doctor friends recommended this place saying "try The Shalimar you will love it" and true to his words I did.
Surprise!!! It was not far from the airport, not far from my favorite restaurants and shopping areas either.
After battling the tumultuous traffic, I was in for a treat -the stark white reception of The Shalimar hotel.
Smiling efficient staff ushered me to my room.
The room hmmm, cant help but say , it is well furnished, well lit ,great detailing , all amenities ( refrigerator, coffee maker , locker you name it) well placed.
Review cannot be complete without mentioning my sojourn to the bakery and the salon.The date n walnut tea cake was delicious (divine , don't forget to try that one) ,the salon was small but efficient.i love the way the staff address me with a "Namaste".
Great hospitality , decent breakfast spread , a lovely lachcha paratha along with chef's butter paneer for dinner, what more could one ask for?
A great place to stay and I'm definitely coming back.
Thank you Shalimar, you guys are doing a great job, keep it up.

Room Tip: All the rooms have different themes, try a new one every time.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nijubhai

Dear Nijubhai

It is a pleasure to note that you had a pleasant stay with us and have expressed a desire to stay with us in future.

Reviewed 3 February 2013

I stayed in this hotel 3 nights, the rooms are clean and the house keeping lady is very nice .

What I didn’t like about the hotel is that you have to pay to use the wifi in the hotel, if you want to use the business center that’s another charge, the bottle of water that costs 10 rupees is 150 rupees on the breakfast table!!! The rooms are not cheap at all and they make you pay for all these little things, I hate the stingy attitude. I rather pay $50 more for the room and have the bottle of water and wifi included!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
TSHM, General Manager at The Shalimar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

Dear AviNY2011

Thank you for the time that you have taken in putting up a review of your stay with us.

We firmly believe that guest feedback plays a key role in the constant improvisation of services. We have made note that you were not happy with charges for some of our services.

However, the charges for various services, both in terms of the amount and the decision to charge, is based on survey that has been carried out by industry professionals. Further, charges are clearly defined and displayed and there are no hidden charges. Kindly note that we have various special offers from time to time on our website, which includes several services.

We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again on your future visit to the city.

Reviewed 1 February 2013

My month long India holiday started with a two-night stay in this hotel.After a 24 hour trip from South Africa, my partner and I were dropped off at the hotel at about 4 a.m.We learnt to our dismay that out room would be available from 12:00 on that day.Alternatively we could pay the full rate for a room , (just to use from 4 a.m to 12 noon.)
However, the receptionist on duty, Mangeesh, suggested that we wait a few hours in the lobby, and he will arrange a room asap, at no extra charge.Our room was ready before 8 a.m. Needless to say, we were very grateful to get a shower and some much needed sleep.

The room was somewhat small, but well furnished and comfortable. The bathroom was well designed with modern fittings. Towels were of a good quality.We were pleased that the room was thoroughly prepared, even though we needed it in a hurry!

Mangeesh turned out to be a very helpful and knowledgeable person, arranging a taxi for us to tour Mumbai, and suggesting how we could make the most of our time in the city.

Breakfast comprised more than the average fare, with fresh fruit and juices available. The restaurant staff actually went to each guest, and ensured that their preferences were catered for .We must Santosh for his accommodating nature.
The hotel is located in a business area of the city, so access to services (bank, laundry,taxi) is easy.
All in all, a good, value-for- money hotel with excellent staff.

Room Tip: Road noise can be a problem for light sleepers- ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Chester4_12

We are pleased to note that you had a comfortable stay and carry back fond memories with you.

We would also like to convey that we have made note of your observation with regard to room availability in the morning. For a guest wanting a room immediately on arrival, if it is prior to our official check in time, which is 14:00 hrs, we recommend that they book from the previous night. This is a standard policy that is adopted at any hotel world over.

We look forward to your continued support and patronage.