“Comfort on a budget” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Shalimar Hotel

The Shalimar Hotel
Ranked #61 of 440 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
New York City, New York
“Comfort on a budget”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed in a suite for a night, and the quality of the accommodations was surprisingly good for the price we paid. The bed was king-size and wonderfully comfortable - important when you're fighting jet lag and every minor discomfort is amplified. The food on the room service menu was exceptionally good. The one thing I would warn others is of the smoking floors. If you don't specifically ask for a non-smoking room, you may be assigned a smoking one (as we were) and the air is practically unbreathable. The staff was helpful in reassigning us though and everything was uphill from there.

Room Tip: Non-smoking floor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMTSHM, General Manager at The Shalimar Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear tripper28

Thank you for the time that you have taken in providing a feedback of your stay with us.

We are pleased to note that you had a comfortable stay with us and have carried back some fond memories. Guest feedback and suggestions have helped us over the years to reach where we are today.

Manoj Mathew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Hyderabad, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

This hotel I stayed years ago, probably 10-12 maybe more, cannot remember. I don't visit this part of Mumbai, but this time I had to go to this part of town because of an old friends family wedding. When he mentioned Shalimar, I said yes immediately. It was a nice hotel even then. This time I stayed after many years and I must say it's a classic. I did come to know the hotel recently celebrated their golden jubilee. Congratulations to the team. The lobby was pristine. Good accommodation, super comfortable beds and the food as I remember from those days was again very good. Good work by the management.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RPR162014
GMTSHM, General Manager at The Shalimar Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear RPR162014

Thank you for the time that you have taken in providing us a feedback of your stay with us.

We are pleased to have been your choice after several years and also happy to note that you had a comfortable and pleasant stay with us once again.

We did celebrate our Golden Jubilee two years back and our efforts have always been to provide service of the highest order to all our guests.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Visiting Mumbai after 19 years, I decided to stay at the Shalimar as it was in close proximity to all the people and sites that I had planned to visit. The hotel is centrally located and very close to many popular places in the city. I was extremely pleased with the front desk service - the staff was very professional, courteous and helpful. They were very knowledgable about the city and always suggested the best ways to get around town. I was visiting from the US and was so pleased with this level of service.

The rooms were newly renovated and spacious. There was a very nice desk where I used to read the papers while drinking coffee in the mornings. I have to say that I had some of the best naps at the hotel as the beds were so comfortable! Bathrooms were also very clean and modern. The showers were top notch with very good water pressure. All in all, I got off to a perfect start to each day at the Shalimar as I prepared myself for an adventurous day roaming the streets of Mumbai.

The food at this hotel is amazing! They have the best Butter Chicken that I've had in the world. I highly recommend it - I must have had it 4 times in my 3 day stay there. The food menu is top notch - both room service and at the actual hotel restaurant. Local Mumbai residents that I knew also ate at the hotel with me and was raving about the food. Room service staff is also extremely polite and food does not take long to arrive, which is not what I've experienced in most big city hotels, be it in the US, Europe or other parts of Asia.

I always had my breakfast there rotating my choices between the South Indian dosas and Idlis and English breakfast with eggs and toasts. The food choices doesn't end there - there is also a bakery in the lobby which has great snacks and cakes that were very rich in taste.

Needless to say, I could have spent most of my time napping at the hotel and just eating there as it was probably the best food that I had during my whole stay in Mumbai.

To put it in perspective, this hotel has all the amenities you need while still maintaining a very strong sense of "Mumbainess" in it.

I will definitely stay here on my next trip to Mumbai and highly recommend this as a first choice based on the top notch service, cleanliness, spacious rooms, comfort, food quality and variety. Above all, I would recommend it because of the great staff that made my stay in Mumbai a highly enjoyable one.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank DushantNYC
Dear DushantNYC

Thank you for the time that you have taken in providing a feedback of your stay with us in such minute detail.

It has been our constant endeavor to provide the best of Shalimar to all our guests. We have considered guest feedback and suggestions in a great way to upgrade our facilities and services. We also thank you for recommending our hotel to other travelers, who are likely to visit Mumbai city.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I enjoyed this hotel. Good value especially when you don't want to stay in a 5 star hotel. We also chose this hotel because of old friends of my husband who live close to this hotel. They recommended this hotel as they eat in their restaurant sometimes. And I must say the local Indian food was very good. Nice rooms, comfortable and modern with good facilities. The pastry shop was very good. The service right from the beginning until we checked out was good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear SAM111175

We are pleased to note that you enjoyed our facilities, services and food.

Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

I have stayed here once before and this was my second stay. Excellent in all ways. Very comfortable rooms, great washrooms. The food especially the Indian food and the pastry shop are just excellent. Decent breakfast spread, though more variety always welcome especially when your not rushed.
The bar was nice and modern. Quiet and friendly service. My only regret is that I did not try the spa, the spa menu looked very inticing. Overall I liked this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear PT111

Thank you for the time that you have taken to provide us with a feedback of your stay with us.

We are pleased to note that you had a comfortable stay with us and have carried back fond memories.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Return visit to the hotel and reassurringly received the same excellent welcome and service throughout my stay. Tried the sandwiches in the pastry shop and found them to be very good.
The restaurant was running a food festival of Kashmiri cuisine which is very different from the usual food festivals and was an interesting experience. The overall experience was as good as my previous visit and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel which is excellent value for money. The hotel also has a spa which i did not try but hope to do so at the next visit. The artwork in the lobby was different from my previous visit and is a very innovative way of showcasing local artists. My compliments to the management team for a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors towards the rear or south side of the hotel are quieter
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear DYD_11

Thank you for your continued patronage and once again sharing your observations and feedback with us.

We do plan events and festivals from time to time at our hotel and Kashmir Food Festival brought a renowned chef into our midst. We constantly strive to keep adding variety to our offerings to ensure guests have a very satisfying experience.

We look forward to your continued support.

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Hotel is located in good location and their service was very impressive, but we had a little problem with their WiFi connection. The bar and restaurant in the hotel was also excelent. This place is recommneded for your stay in Mumbai.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMTSHM, General Manager at The Shalimar Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Suthipong

It has been our constant endeavor to provide the best of Shalimar to all our guests. We thank you for recommending our hotel to other guests.