“Over Priced”
Review of Strand Hotel

Strand Hotel
Ranked #302 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed 13 November 2011

This hotel is certainly over priced for what it is, however we have no faults with our stay.

Location is excellent. It is on the same road as the famous Taj Mahal Palace hotel and is in view of the Gateway of India and is on the sea/harbour front, so if you have the front bedrooms, the view is fantastic. However we had a cheaper room at the back.

Rooms are ok sized if not a bit on the small side, clean and have everything you need for a basic nights stay when sight seeing. Room came with bathroom, clean towels, bedding, TV, Room Service, Wake up call, TV, AC and ceiling fan. The room is VERY over priced for what it is but I guess you are paying for the location more than anything.
We ordered room service for breakfast which came reasonably quick and was ok priced. We only had cereal and coffee but it was nice. We also had a free newspaper outside our door in the morning and the staff are more than welcome to help with luggage. Im guessing we were suppose to tip but as budget travellers, we didn't ha oops!

So yeah, for location and a clean room this hotel is fine. Its far from luxury so dont expect a beautiful room and view if you opt for the cheapest room! I cant vouch for what the other rooms looked like!

Had a very good and quiet nights sleep with no disturbance so thats the main thing for us!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank HippyHoliday
There are newer reviews for Strand Hotel

Reviewed 19 September 2011

I was slightly disappointed. Simple things were missing that should be basics in any hotel. We were told that only 1 towel per room is given. Tea is not served in the room, we need to go to the dining hall for tea. Food was decent, served buffet style in the dining hall.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank White D
Reviewed 18 September 2011

On arrival the manger at front desk was very grumpy and unpleasant despite us already having a booking online.
Room was clean enough but for the price of the room (around Rs.3500/night) it could have been much cleaner.
Our shower head had 4 streams coming out of it which i had to fix with a pin.
The basin tap would not turn off. Despite telling service staff this it was not repaired during our stay and therefore flowed the whole time we where there.
Service staff were friendly, however the manager of the service staff told us how much she wanted for a tip and visited our room multiple times just to ask for a tip. We are always happy to tip any good friendly service however we don't appreciate being told how much to tip someone before we get a chance to offer.
The food in the restaurant was ok and the waiter there was very pleasant and helpful.
Rooms were large enough.
Overall: Not worth the amount charged. We wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WanderingOzzi
Reviewed 12 August 2011

It is a wonderful location to stay at Mumbai, and considering the rates it is not so costly too. ....You are staying a look away from The Taj mahal and Gate way of India. Facilities are vintage and probably the maintenance is just for sustenance. Services are hardly any to offer than the dire necessities. But of course it is a happening place all around.

Room Tip: sea facing
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ramesh2712
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Very nice hotel , small rooms but still very clean and well maintained , very good view of gate way of India from luxury & executive rooms , They have transfer service from Airport to Hotel..Staff is old but well mannered.

Good food to eat on good rate..

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 July 2011

We switched from the Apollo Hotel 2 streets down the road to the Strand Hotel. It was better priced then the Apollo Hotel and we had a far better view accross the sea. Staff was decent and we did not have problems with asking for tips etc. Trust me, in the whole of North India they demand tips and money from (caucasian foreigners), so this was an exception.

We made fun of the cockroaches in our room and bathroom *tip* put a towel in the bathtub, because the cockroaches come up through the bathtub. Beds were decent. Indians do not understand the concept of cleaning though, just that you know.

Location is good and the Harbour View Hotel has a nice restaurant on the roof terrace!
Price/quality is decent, because we were staying at the Apollo hotel 2 streets down the road before and it was much worse and by far more expensive. Breakfast is good!

Conclusion: just for a couple of days.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ewansink
Reviewed 13 May 2011

Staying at the Strand was the worst decision I made in Mumbai. The man at the reception desk was the most smarmy looking I’ve ever seen and he told me that the price of over 4000 rupees per night (excluding breakfast) included wi-fi. I later found out after checking in that their wi-fi had not worked in months!)

The room itself was of a large size, but the furniture and general décor was last updated about thirty or forty years ago. The walls had water and mould stains which made the room have a strong musty smell.

I was unsure whether the floor had been swept from previous occupations as there
was deeply ingrained dirt in the skirting-boards and corners of the room.

The bathroom was as old-style as the sleeping area and there was very little in the way of toiletries.

There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the room which is outrageous given the inflated nightly charge for the accommodation. I therefore ordered tea from room service and although the tea was brought in less than ten minutes, the tea was in a rather dirty and shabby looking flask, I was in fear of catching the dreaded “delhi belly”. The cup and saucer was brown in colour but that did not disguise the equally old and badly cared for condition of the cup.

On my first night, I came back to the hotel at about 10.00pm tired and hot only to find that the hot water had been turned off sometime that day. My major pre-occupation for the rest of my stay after that was to get back to the hotel early enough before the hot water was turned off!!

However, all was not all bad at the strand. The location is perfect for tourists and if you get a sea-facing room such as I did, the view of the sea is very beautiful... just hold your breath as you open the curtains as they release a blanket of dust when touched not to mention the fact that they seemed to have been last washed in the 20th century!

The owner of the hotel is a middle-aged woman and she was just as unfriendly and smarmy as her male receptionist employee. I quickly found out that the people at the reception desk were not willing to give me back change when I paid for my accommodation. I had to continually ask for my change and it was given to me with such reluctance and bad grace it was as if I was not entitled to my own change! Also watch out for rounding up of costs by the reception, I twice had to stand my ground and refuse to pay the higher amount asked of me (which the lady had rounded up to her advantage)

The Strand seems to have a large number of staff who seemed to be continuously sitting on the stair case waiting for me to appear and then they would ask me to "remember" them when I checked out. The feeling of being continually hounded for tips was especially annoying as I had been charged way over the odds by the management of the hotel yet its staff seemed to be desperately looking for extra money.

All in all, the Strand Hotel has very few positives and those that are there (location, sea-view) are not of the proprietor’s making. I would never recommend the Strand Hotel, not in a million years.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple