Hotel Kumkum
US$124
US$134
US$94
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgrant roadbudget hotelchowpatty beachkum kumtop floorrooftop restaurantbudget choicemumbai centralsingle roomsmall bathroomhot waterwalking distanceno liftclean hotelreception areamarine drivebed was comfortable
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My stay with Chirag was brief but extremely pleasant. Chirag himself is very helpful and accommodating. His hotel staff resonate Chirag's spirit and go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. The hotel itself is a complete surprise, the interior of this hotel is absolutely superb, ornate, and professional. At the price Chirag is offering the room at, in this busy area, it is to say the least no short of a steal !!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank murtazakho
Cmody, Owner at Hotel Kumkum, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Hi Murtaza

Thank you so much for your kind words. We are in the process of renovating the exterior as well and should be done within the next 4-5 months. Then I'm sure the exterior will match the interior.

We also try to keep our prices as low as possible to so as to give our customers the best value for money.

It's great that customers like yourself appreciate the same. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Mumbai.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

My husband and I stayed in the hotel for 3 nights on our first trip to Mumbai. The room was small with basic furniture and a very small bathroom. The staff were very helpful, even when we had to check in at 1am. The kitchen on the top floor is nice and serves good, simple breakfasts. One downside for us was that there was only wifi in the lobby, and since we had some planning to do for the rest of our time in India, we had to do it on the only two chairs near the check in desk and felt in the way of the staff and guests.

The location is ok as long as you plan to take cabs everywhere or walk 10 minutes to Grant Road Railway Station. There is not much nearby targeted for tourists, but some shops for necessities. The tour recommended by the front desk staff was all in Hindi, which I think could have been mentioned to us before we booked.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alissa C
CYMody, Owner at Hotel Kumkum, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Alissa

Thank you for the review. I apologise that the tour language was not made clear to you and will definitely speak to the concerned people for the same.

I believe that you had stayed in our budget Superior rooms which are smaller in size. We have larger deluxe rooms which are much larger about 150 sq feet. I hope you try the same on your next visit.

We are constantly trying to improve and will definitely take your views under consideration for that.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I went to Mumbai for a five-day business trip. I looked for a hotel that was not too expensive yet clean and near to my office. I saw many hotels nearby that charged upwards of Rs 3,500 per night for a single room but without any distinguishing feature for that price. Then I found Hotel Kum Kum. It was on Grant Road in south Mumbai, some six kilometres from the Gateway of India and many nice pubs. This area was not very crowded as in other parts of Mumbai.

The room I got was basic and clean. The interior was cosy -- no fancy wall colours and simple white paint and brown floor that gave a wooden look. There was a small kitchen on the terrace that was really homely. The building looks like an antique structure refurbished for modern taste. From the outside the hotel seems the standard fare, but once inside it is really pleasant. The terrace was huge and I did yoga early morning while birds drank water about me. It is difficult to find such quietness in Mumbai.

The good thing about Kum Kum is that it caters to people like me who are into mid career but cannot afford extravagant hotel stays. This hotel to my surprise gave me peace of mind and dignity while staying in Mumbai because the price band was just right and the place was run professionally. I don't like cheap hotels and I can't afford five stars. Hotels are either very expensive or too cheap in Mumbai. But Kum Kum fills the much-needed middle ground.

I found Kum Kum to be like an enhanced serviced apartment more than a proper hotel. So one thing that you will need to keep in mind while booking this place is that it is not a full-fledged hotel with the full monty room service and wide menu choices. Think of it as a homely place in this big noisy city with a small kitchen laid out in a European theme wooden cabin. If you are travelling alone and want to stay put in the less crowded south Mumbai areas, Kum Kum is what I recommend.

Before coming to Mumbai I exchanged at least nine emails with the owner, who helped me in every possible way with information about the location and other queries. Next time I go to Mumbai I will stay in Kum Kum.

Room Tip: If you want a single room, ask for room No. 225. It is cosy and clean.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank travelvstravel
Cmody, Owner at Hotel Kumkum, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Sir

Thank you so much for the great review. Your appreciation will only make us strive harder to improve ourselves further to offer better and better facilities for all our customers.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Mumbai.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

to find such an economical , neat & clean hotel in the budget of 1200 - 1800 is impossible in the heart of mumbai..i was indeed shocked and surprised to see the service and friendliness of the staff from the time i checked inn till my check out .i thank once again to the owner & staff of hotel kumkum for making my stay a comfortable one,

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank R_khanna2013
CYMody, Owner at Hotel Kumkum, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear Sir

Thank you for the wonderful review.

We strive to provide excellent service along with rooms at a very economical rate. We are pleased the same is recognised by all our clients.

Thank you and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Me and a colleague of mine had visited this hotel on a business trip from 3rd September 2013 until 8th September 2013. The hotel is located strategically and gives you access to business houses and tourist places for visits in evening.The service was a little bit slow but on complaining - we started getting good service.I do recommend this to travellers/

Room Tip: Ask them for a bigger one.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Mumbaiboy89
Cmody, Owner at Hotel Kumkum, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We strive to provide the best level of service but if you received slower than normal service I apologise for the same. We will try to correct it as soon as possible.

Our larger rooms (deluxe) as recommended by yourself are amongst the most spacious in our category of hotels and most of out guests do appreciate them.

We look forward to your next visit with us.