“Lovely Place.”

Le Sutra - The Indian Art Hotel
Ranked #23 of 454 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
India....
“Lovely Place.”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

A lovely place with lovely themed rooms and artistic touch. Not for the regular boring box hotel travellers.
A unique place with a happening restaurant downstairs and next to the hotel, location wise very good as well.
Good service and helpful staff.

A memorable experience.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
GM_LeSutra, Front Office Manager at Le Sutra - The Indian Art Hotel, responded to this review, 12 January 2017

Greetings form Le Sutra!

Thank you so much for your feedback further to your stay with us. I have shared your positive sentiments with all my colleagues at the hotel and the entire team feels motivated. We are glad you liked the entire hotel especially the decor, the team, the spacious rooms, and the services we provide.

Le Sutra - The Indian Art Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Turkish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I am all for boutique hotels provided the service is of a good standard. This hotel ticks the box on being artistic but is deeply disappointing on almost all other aspects of what a hotel should be. The hotel location is close to linking road, which is a shopping street and also not far from the airport. The neighbourhood is quite green which is unlike most of Mumbai. Its also quite noisy like the rest of the city !

The breakfast in "out of the blue' is a huge letdown. The buffet is almost laughable. Since I was on a breakfast package, I could order food from the menu at no extra cost. I ordered 'Idlis' which are like rice dumplings. They came lukewarm, very thick & rubbery and with absolutely no presentation. The dips and chutneys were average quality and the waiters seemed be to be in tearing hurry to get somewhere. I went to the nearby Taj Land's End for a good breakfast the next day.

The air conditioning in the room is quite good and noiseless but they need to install double glazed windows at the minimum as its very noisy outside and I was woken up more by the street noise and not by the alarm. Oh, there is no alarm on the bedside table and one needs to ask the front desk to give a wake-up call.

The bathroom is an odd V-shape in the 'Mandala' room I was staying in. Nothing wrong with the odd shape but without a shower curtain, the water was splashing everywhere. Hot water is very inconsistent as other reviewers have also mentioned. I got hot water only in the morning. The toilet bowl leaks and the tap in the washbasin is barely holding on. When I pointed this out, it elicited an apology with the promise that it would be fixed. Luckily I checked out soon after so I didn't wait to see whether they followed up. I had some valuables with me but oddly enough I found that taking the key out of the key holder would disable the 'do not disturb' sign. I was lucky to realize this so had to lock up the valuables in my bag before I left the room. Its perhaps a small thing but like so many other things with this hotel it adds up to an overall unsatisfactory experience.

I like the art in the hotel but I want all the basic stuff to be taken care of first. There are cheaper and better places in Mumbai and I wouldn't go back. An Ibis or a Novotel is way better than spending money on a hotel with some art but poor service.

I would've given a 2 star rating but the lady on the front desk- Anjali - was extremely professional and helpful. She earns the extra star not the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid Mandala as it is next to a large function hall.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Greetings form Le Sutra!

Thank you for contacting us for the enclosed matter below. First, we would like to express our deepest regret for the inconvenience caused by this unintentional and rare mistake. We are sorry that hotel did not satisfy you. and we assure you that your complaint will be handled in a strict and serious way. We take full responsibility for the error and we guarantee that such incidents will not occur in the future.
We value your business and we would like to retain you as a customer. Please accept our apologies. Thank you for your understanding in this unfortunate matter.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The concept rooms and decor of the whole hotel are top notch. The explanation behind the different inspiration of every room is very interesting and the room is equipped with accompanying literature and a movie to inform the guest further. The whole places is very stylish.

Unfortunately, my original explanation of my room consisted of only: "This is Maya. It is everything, and nothing" before the receptionist left me without telling me about any of the meal times or about any of the room's basic features (Aircon, laundry, tv etc.). This was after my pre-booked airport pick-up didn't happen and after calling them and waiting for 20 minutes, I called them back - they told me to get a taxi. I was woken up at several points by the traffic outside (this is not Le Sutra's fault, it's almost inescapable in Mumbai), shouting outside my room in the early hours and my housekeeper banging away at my door every morning, sometimes before 8AM.

I feel like Le Sutra was designed and built by someone who really knew what a customer would want… but then left it in the hands of poorly trained staff. Perhaps a shake up in training and management could really make this a quality hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Great little boutique hotel near beach in a leafy suburban area of Mumbai. Stayed here five days and found it much nicer than staying in a more conventional big chain hotel closer to the city center. Rooms are decorated to highlight different artistic/cultural themes (details on their website), and breakfast (included in room rate) featured both western and India fare - hearty and good. Area around the hotel is great for walking and exploring - interesting restaurants abound just blocks away, and there is nice beach boardwalk that runs south to Bandra (just 1km south along the beach boardwalk is a terrific little jogging park - great place to walk/jog early in the mornings with the locals). Getting into South Mumbai to see tourist attractions is an easy cab ride.

The hotel doesn't receive a full five stars primarily because of the noise - while most nights were fine, Thursday night there was what is apparently (according to staff) a weekly party event at the Olive restaurant downstairs. While we are not particularly fussy sleepers, the thumping bass made it nearly impossible to sleep - and it continued until 1am. Party noise was also evident on Friday and Saturday nights - staff were helpful when I called down; they actually seemed to be effective in asking the partygoers to turn down the volume a bit (at least temporarily) - and even offered to send us up a free dessert (albeit after midnight!) as compensation. These noisy festivities may be more audible from some rooms than others - might be worth inquiring when you book.
A "do not disturb" door hanger was conspicuously absent from our room - this would have come in handy as when we arrived from the U.S. we were still quite jet-lagged, and received frequent visits from staff (asking if we had laundry to do, turn down service, etc.) that we would have preferred to forego during our first few days. Also, we were told that we'd be receiving a gift (see note above on this site) - but did not upon check-out.
Overall, though, this is a great little hotel - I would stay here again, and would recommend it for anyone who enjoys smaller boutique hotels with character.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank brocdog

Reviewed 30 October 2013

From rooms to service, this boutique hotel was amazing. Do not expect a room with a view: outside isn't pretty! However, the perfect service and cleanliness of the hotel made our day! The olive restaurant next door also serves superb food.
Really enjoyed our stay and we will stay again for sure!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pelote1985

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This is my favorite hotel when ever I am in Mumbai. It's very conveniently located and walking distance to most of the famous film production companies. It's expensive but food is excellent. Complementary breakfast is great, it has fresh food options as well. But limited. Rooms are great, each room is different to the other. I had hot water issue during my stay over 5 days and I was telling them to fix it but they never did until I checked out. this is the first time they disappointed me, but I hoped they will learn something from that mistake.

Room Tip: get a room away from the nightclub next to the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank PriyangaCFS

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I often choose to stay at Le Sutra for business trips. Their themed rooms ensure I don't get bored no matter how many times I stay here. Each room has very interesting, arty decor. Plus, the location is just fantactic. You step out and you're right in the heart of Bandra, two steps away from some lovely restaurants. The hotel staff always takes good care of me and I have no complaints about their service.

Room Tip: If you prefer light, airy rooms, ask for a room on the Satvic floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business